AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 51 of 79 (300 Views)

Re: FYI: AutoCAD 2013 is “As Designed behavior” non-backward compatible.

06-05-2012 07:25 AM in reply to: dbroad

They may have used AEC technology for the model view system.  And if any blocks were worked on with anything to do with AEC then they are carriers and would have to be cleaned as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 52 of 79 (299 Views)

06-05-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: dbroad

I would likely start a clean file given that level of infection.  Sometimes, I have no choice

but to attempt to clean existing files.  For example, If they are a part of sheet set you can't

-ExportToAutoCAD without destroying sheet set data and/or field references.

I know I've ran into some difficult cases of AEC content appearing.  One case, was simply

a field in one sheet referencing a view number or sheet number from another sheet via the

SSM which caused the AEC content to propagate into the drawing containing the field.

I'm still think we need a "AEC Warning" message just like the "Educational Warning" to

help keep our mission-critical files clean.

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 53 of 79 (291 Views)

06-05-2012 07:48 AM in reply to: dgorsman

If you are working in a team with some using ACA or AMEP or similar verticals, then keeping the AEC content out is probably unachieveable.  

Just because the proxy notice warns you however does not mean that the files are not completely useable. I turned my proxy notices off because they were primarily an annoying distraction.  Things warned against did not really affect the usability of the files since most of them related to non-graphical entities. The warnings just stirred my anger and frustration without accomplishing anything.

The educational warnings however are very important since they affect the plotted output.

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 54 of 79 (283 Views)

06-05-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: dbroad

What I think is noteworthy is that these are 2007 AECs and the 2010 just left them hidden, unlike 2013.

I would like to start new clean drawings, but being Facilities Management for a University with three campuses and over a hundred builds the amount of drawings we have makes it impracticable even if I had the time. Plus we get drawing from contractors all the time, so it would be just a matter of time before we are in the same mess.

Plus we issue drawings to students and other members of the community who like have older versions.

And to complicate it even more 2013 converts the 2007 AEC to 2013 AECs and thus make the drawings non open able by earlier versions.  

jmaeding
Message 55 of 79 (275 Views)

06-05-2012 08:32 AM in reply to: dbroad

I understand that there "might" be someone out there who wants to round trip drawings and keep higher version aec objects intact, but those same people are generally ignorant to what they are doing.

Can anyone give an example of a competent user adopting a workflow that allows round tripping?

Key word being competent.

jmaeding
Message 56 of 79 (270 Views)

06-05-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: Jason.Piercey

as for beta testing, it almost does not really exist with Autocad and its verticals.

We see things so late, and so little change is made, that its more like last minute bug shaking.

The problem is not the beat testing though, its the lack of involvement of industry people very early on in feature specification writing.

Calssic case is the "new" modeless layer dialog, where layers react immediately.

Sounds good until you work on decent size drawings, where you need to make a bunch of changes, then hit apply.

So modeless was good, removing the apply button was bad.

Modeless xref dialog design stinks too. The idea was good, but implementation was bad for several reasons.

I set layer and xref dialog commands to classic, and will write my own dialogs before using the flawed ones from Adesk.

The funny thing is, Autodesk sees that attitude as normal. They commonly tell me the API is there for any issues, and they only take things so far. They rarely disagree with my design comments, but simply do not implement.

What that does is encourage us to make our own tools, which then become very portable to things like Bricscad.

When a real BIM civil set of tools comes out, I bet it will be no problem to use vanilla acad or brisccad with them, as the interfaces needed are available now in either.

donande
Message 57 of 79 (272 Views)

06-05-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: jmaeding

Here is a thought

What if vertical AECs where kept in an External Reference?  

Then it would be just a matter of loading or leaving it unloaded, depending on what version you are using.

Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 58 of 79 (261 Views)

06-05-2012 08:55 AM in reply to: jmaeding

jmaeding wrote:

as for beta testing, it almost does not really exist with Autocad and its verticals.

We see things so late, and so little change is made, that its more like last minute bug shaking.

I know, that is why I said "Supposed to be".  Beta testers have virtually zero input about

feature design, functionality, or interface.  They only exist to help ensure there are no

major defects that crash the system.

jmaeding wrote: 

I set layer and xref dialog commands to classic, and will write my own dialogs before using the flawed ones from Adesk. 

I also use the classic commands and/or interface.

jmaeding
Message 59 of 79 (254 Views)

06-05-2012 09:18 AM in reply to: donande

What was this replying to?

"Here is a thought

What if vertical AECs where kept in an External Reference? 

Then it would be just a matter of loading or leaving it unloaded, depending on what version you are using."

This web DG interface is so bad, I'm lost on it.

If I go to topic display mode, the message tree is long.

You pick on a post and it redisplays the web page,with the post at the top.

So the tree selection gets moved out of view, super confusing.

What is needed is a splt window, where the message you click on shows in one spot, and the tree stays scrolled to wherever it was. Autodesk can bet that my purchase decisions are greatly affected by its support decisions.

Mentor
Jason.Piercey
Message 60 of 79 (250 Views)

06-05-2012 09:30 AM in reply to: jmaeding

jmaeding wrote:

This web DG interface is so bad, I'm lost on it.

What is needed is a splt window, where the message you click on shows in one spot, and the tree stays scrolled to wherever it was. Autodesk can bet that my purchase decisions are greatly affected by its support decisions.

Oh, you mean like the NNTP interface they ditched years ago.  Sigh.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube