AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 1 of 79 (1,767 Views)

FYI: AutoCAD 2013 is “As Designed behavior” non-backward compatible.

1767 Views, 78 Replies
05-23-2012 06:31 AM

FYI: AutoCAD 2013 is “As Designed behavior” non-backward compatible.

According to AutoCAD support the AEC issue that makes DWGs non-compatible with earlier versions is a a AS Designed behavior.

Here the last B.S.

“I am sorry, I thought I emailed you the reply last month, but it appears that I did not.

I had to consult with an experts and the answer is: the issues you reported is As Designed behavior. This occurs every time the new dwg file format is introduced.

There is no "corruption" going on. You are opening a DWG containing AEC data from a previous release. ACA data from previous-versions is updated automatically when you open the older DWG in a newer release. ACA supports only forward saving of files. In other words, if you open a DWG from a previous release that contains ACA data, all that ACA data is updated immediately to the new version. And if you use SAVEAS to save to an older DWG format, then you are left with an older-format DWG containing newer-format ACA data.  That will give you the prompts that you are seeing about differing version objects in the drawing.  This is as-designed and is how ACA has always worked.

Hope this explains it.

Thanks,”

And FYI: there is no ACA data in my dwgs, and they know that.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 2 of 79 (1,752 Views)

Re: FYI: AutoCAD 2013 is “As Designed behavior” non-backward compatible.

05-23-2012 07:37 AM in reply to: donande

Actually it's likely you *do* have some AEC content in your drawings.  If somebody, somewhere along the line, XREF'd or inserted a drawing saved with Mechanical, Map3D, Civil3D, or any of the non-vanilla AutoCAD products then the drawing contains some AEC header data even if none of your actual drawing objects are vertically-produced.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 3 of 79 (1,741 Views)

05-23-2012 10:37 AM in reply to: dgorsman

I can create a new clean drawing and get the same results.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 79 (1,732 Views)

05-23-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: donande

then most likely there is AEC content inside your template file.    Try starting a new drawing with out using any template.  One way to do that is to turn off filedia, type new, and when prompted for a template to use, type a period in.

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 5 of 79 (1,728 Views)

05-23-2012 11:25 AM in reply to: donande

If you are using a template that contains AEC content or if you are opening drawngs that were ever saved by ACA or MEP, you will probably receive this message.  If at any point, a file was saved by any AEC flavor, stuff is added, including a layer keying system and a display management system.  This would not be perceived by you as ACA objects.

Even if you are using plain AutoCAD and you open a drawing that contained any of the ACA systems, it will cause this.  I think that is because of object enablers.  I know its frustrating.  There's not much you can do other than being conscientious in launching an earlier version of the executable before opening drawings.

If you are using AutoCAD Architecture as AutoCAD, this can also happen.  I agree its frustrating if you are trying to create basic vanilla AutoCAD drawings that AutoCAD users can open.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 6 of 79 (1,705 Views)

05-23-2012 01:20 PM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth wrote:

Try starting a new drawing with out using any template.  One way to do that is to turn off filedia, type new, and when prompted for a template to use, type a period in.

Another way is to just use the little drop down menu next to the open button in the "Select Template" dialog (NEW command).

openplain.png

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 7 of 79 (1,703 Views)

05-23-2012 01:24 PM in reply to: dbroad

dbroad wrote:

I agree its frustrating if you are trying to create basic vanilla AutoCAD drawings that AutoCAD users can open.

Agreed. I always tried to use an old legacy version (like vanilla 2002) to create plain, vanilla content.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 8 of 79 (1,698 Views)

05-23-2012 01:32 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks RK, that should get to the same place w/o having to mess with setvars and forgetting to restore them.

the -AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD should provide a 'clean' version of a drawing as well, instead of doing a SAVE or SAVEAS.

Re: opening in an older versions to create 'clean' content.  Since anyone on subscription has no legal access to anything older than three versions back (e.g. 2012, 2011, 2010 versions), and there's no way in these united states to legitimately aquire an older version of AutoCAD, I'm going with Draftsight for vanilla content that will be used by others.. Free, clean,and works., 

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 9 of 79 (1,697 Views)

05-23-2012 01:35 PM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth wrote:

Re: opening in an older versions to create 'clean' content.  Since anyone on subscription has no legal access to anything older than three versions back (e.g. 2012, 2011, 2010 versions), and there's no way in these united states to legitimately aquire an older version of AutoCAD, I'm going with Draftsight for vanilla content that will be used by others.. Free, clean,and works., 

Some license holders have access to older copies of AutoCAD that were never upgraded, but your suggestion to use an AutoCAD clone is good for those that don't.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 10 of 79 (1,684 Views)

05-23-2012 02:27 PM in reply to: dbroad

We're doing more and more work with Civil3D so the users end up with it anyways no matter how clean the templates are made.  Count me in with the "hold your nose" crowd.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube