Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to XML

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
14868 Views, 11 Replies

Exporting to XML

Hi All, I'm new to autoCAD and want to find a way of exporting the points and lines of a geo-referenced DWG to an XML file...this seemed to be possible with earlier versions. Is it not possible now?

I've had a good look around the forum and other AC message board, but I can only find references to earlier versions of AutoCAD than the one I'm using: AutoCAD 2014 for Mac.

Thanks...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

What earlier version was that? What command?
AutoCAD for MAC is not AutoCAD for Windows, it has fewer features etc

Plus, you are posting in the completely wrong forum for your product: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac-General/bd-p/520

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the heads up. I'll repost over there...

Version: 2014 OSX

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Ah, sorry misunderstood the question...I think the last version was 2004 with the 'WBLOCK' command.
Message 5 of 12
pendean

WBLOCK does not create XML files, in 2004 or earlier or later. Try again? Vertical versions of AutoCAD like Civil 3D have a LandXML format, AutoCAD Electrical uses it to exchange with Inventor, and Navisworks can export to XML too (a different software). maybe you were using something like that?
Plotting to DWFx format perhaps since it is an XML format, but that was later than 2004 I believe.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks, I didn't actually do the export, just read that XML was a
possible export option.

Regardless, I'm trying to find a way of exporting to XML directly from
autocad 2014. Or to another easily usable interchange format. Any
ideas?

M

Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 12
pendean

What is the destination/purpose? What is it you are trying to do (other than just creating an XML)? Interchangeable with what?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm trying to convert the points + lines + text to an sql file that can be imported as a Data layer in Tilemill or MapBox. I want to find a workflow for the conversion process in order to convert a large number of georeferenced drawing files - several thousand agricultural plots - to an SQL file.

The other option was to find a way of converting to ESRI shapefile...but I figured it would be easier if I controlled the dataset from beginning to end.

Any thoughts or insights are welcome!

Thanks

M
Message 9 of 12
pendean

None of these are options in plain AutoCAD: and I don't know any MAC compatible add-ons to make it happen.

AutoCAD Civil 3D or Map 3D (for Windows) are the GIS-focused versions of AutoCAD.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Cool, and can they open normal DWG/DXF files made in autocad including the georeferencing? Common sense would say yes, but I prefer to check!

Thanks
Message 11 of 12
dgorsman

Map3D and Civil3D are what are called "vertical" products.  They take the core of AutoCAD, then extend it in an industry-specific direction.  In addition, Civil3D includes most of Map3D plus additional features.  Both products can do everything vanilla AutoCAD can do.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Hey, thanks for that. A great answer to my question!

I'll go and download a trial of Map3D...

M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost