Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Units for DWF

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
335-33329912
1404 Views, 3 Replies

Export Units for DWF

What setvar controls export units to DWF. I have a metric model a cube for argument sake 1000x1000x1000.

When I do a DWFOUT it comes out as 1000 inches ? When I modify the 3D units inside of Design review 2013 to millimeters this comes out as 25400.00 mm

It can only be controlled from AutoCAD no ? I have edit the INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET, but this does not change the output ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dmfrazier
in reply to: 335-33329912

On the Plot dialog, I notice the units change from "inch" to "mm" in the Plot offset and Plot scale areas when the page size is changed to a metric option.

I haven't tested this, but do you suppose it's possible that it has to do with the page size you select when "plotting" to DWF? 

Message 3 of 4
335-33329912
in reply to: dmfrazier

I am sorry I should have been more specific. I am exporting to 3D-DWF. The units issue is on all models, so It must be coming from AutoCAD.

See the image below for what I mean.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Pandoela/DesignReview_zps21de41fa.jpg

Message 4 of 4
dmfrazier
in reply to: 335-33329912

Units can be a real PITA, right?

As I understand it, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET will only have an effect if INSUNITS = 0 (zero, or unspecified units).  But I think your issue only involves INSUNITS.

So, first check the value of the INSUNITS variable in the DWG.  I will guess that it is set to zero, but probably should be set to 4 (millimeters).

You can use the -DWGUNITS "command" to establish your units settings in AutoCAD.  It adjusts the values of these variables (and maybe others) based on how you answer the prompts.

In a test DWG of a 1000mm cube, with INSUNITS = 4 (millimeters), when I exported to 3D DWF, opened the file in ADR, and measured the length of an edge, it came up as 39.37 inches.  This is because in ADR I had the 3D Units Display Units set to Inches.  When I set them to Millimeters (see image), I got the correct measurement. 

ADR_3D Units.png

(You can get to this ADR settings box from the Measure panel on the ribbon or by right-clicking on the model and selecting 3D Units from the menu.)

If I change INSUNITS to 0 (unspecified) in the DWG and re-export to 3D DWF (without changing anything else), the length measurement in ADR displays 25400mm.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost