Did you mean: 

Erratic operation of toolbar icons

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
racerman202202
765 Views, 7 Replies

Erratic operation of toolbar icons

I have 2013 installed on Lenovo X1 carbon laptop, full spec.

Operate in ACAD classic mode display, with standard toolbars to which I have added more standard buttons

All has been working perfectly for long time, but recently has displayed glitches.

Sometimes in crosshatching, goes into lock-up when trying to fill an area.  Then crashes into white screen, and often needs a re-boot.

Some icons don’t work continuously. Fillet for instance will only work sometimes, it will not be universally applicable to all lines.

Snap does not always work on all points, have to snap on the end of a line and travel down it and visually align the cursor with snap point.

The software has been working perfectly since installation, I have not deliberately or specifically altered any settings, it has just taken it upon itself to be erratic and not consistent.

Appreciate any help or comments.   Am not at all computer literate in terms of setting it up, I leave well alone, so it is not something I have initiated.

Many thanks in advance

Tony Hall

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
braudpat
in reply to: racerman202202

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

1) Please could you install the SP 2 on your ACAD 2013 :

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2013-service-...

2) If always the problem :

Please could you try to run with "Graphic Hardware Acceleration" OFF ?

3) Have you tried to run with : ROLLOVERTIPS = 0 and/or QPMODE = 0 ??

And now a few questions ...

Q1) Which ACAD 2013 : 32 or 64 bits ?

Q2) Which Windows exactly : Win XP Pro , Win Seven , Win 8.0 , Win 8.1 ?

Q3) How much Ram in Gb on your Lenovo ?

Q4) Which Graphic Card and which Driver version ? 

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Hello Braudpat, many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have just downloaded the service pack and it seemed to install OK.

Trying the hatch resulted in a white screen crash again!

Still the fillet icon selection does not pick up on some of the existing
lines on the drawing.

I will have to look into the modification of the set-up as you suggested, I
am not competent to do it myself and will have to find out where the access
points are.

The Lenovo is 64 bits, and I am on Windows 7 pro.

I believe that I have 4gb ram installed, which is the max for this computer.

As I said, the computer has performed first class on AC and it is only over
the last few weeks that these problems have developed, and I am confident I
have not changed anything. I have tried to increase the snap coverage on
the snap panel, without success.

I note now also that some groups of lines are being formed into blocks, and
I have to explode them to modify. I have not demanded this, and again it is
a recent arrival, possibly connected.

I do not use blocks or layers, am a basic self-taught user and these are
beyond me

Best regards,

Tony Hall

mailto:
tony.hall@hallmark-racing-marine.com

HALLMARK RACING MARINE

Chilverhouse Lane,

Bawsey,

King's Lynn,

Norfolk, PE32 1ES,

UK

Tel: +44 [0] 1553 630 236

Mobile: +44 [0] 7545 429 100

Fax: +44 [0] 1553 630 584

The information contained in this message is likely to be confidential and
may be legally privileged.The dissemination, distribution, copying or
disclosure of this message, its contents or its attachments is strictly
prohibited unless authorised by HALLMARK RACING MARINE. It is intended only
for the person named as addressee.
Message 4 of 8
dmfrazier

It would also be helpful to know if this "new" behavior is related to only one particular DWG or set of DWGs, or if you experience this in all cases, including new DWGs you start "from scratch".

Message 5 of 8
braudpat

Hello

+1 with Dmfrazier

An other idea: some strange problems can disappear on Lenovo when you kill "unneccessary" Lenovo Tasks/Services running !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
racerman202202
in reply to: dmfrazier

AHHHH!  I have just opened a new clean sheet and the icons seem to work O!  trim fillet and snap function....You may have hit on something there!!  could it be that my existing drawings are corrupted in some way.  

I must admit that whe I am in pure design mode and iteratng variations on a design theme I tend to keep on the original drawing and just copy and paste to study the change options.  It does cover the drawig sheet up with lots of designs but does saving having to re-draft the core design from scratch.

Am I doing something wrong in keeping a basic drawing going for a long time and continuously working on it and its variations??

Many thanks,

Tony

Message 7 of 8
racerman202202
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your assistance, have checked Frazier's suggestion and it would seem that issue does not carry over onto new drawing sheet.

As far as the Lenovo services are concerned, I will try anything, and would welcome any assistance on what to look for and shut down, I dont like the idea of unwanted programmes running in the background either.

Best regards,

Tony

Message 8 of 8
dmfrazier

"...could it be that my existing drawings are corrupted in some way"

Probably not literally "corrupted" (as that would present in other ways), but it could be overly large, or it might be filled with "stuff" that you don't even know is there.

If you search this forum for "superpurge" or "how to keep file size down" you might find similar issues and possible solutions.

"Am I doing something wrong in keeping a basic drawing going for a long time and continuously working on it and its variations??"

Not necessarily.  But there are risks associated with "keeping all your eggs in one basket" as it were.  Purging unused elements, saving "versions" off to new files, and saving design elements you might want to use later in a "block library" are generally considered good practice to keep working files clean and efficient.  You don't have to have everything in one file to get at it.  You don't even have to open other files to get at their contents.  See Help on DesignCenter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost