Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Input screws up snapping to geometry!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
RChalmers2
693 Views, 12 Replies

Dynamic Input screws up snapping to geometry!

When I turn Dynamic Input off then commands no longer snap to the correct geometry!  If I want to draw a line and snap to a point it off the geometry.  If I turn Dynamic Input on then it snaps to the correct point.

Anybody else experience this?  

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
GrantsPirate
in reply to: RChalmers2

This has been reported here and to Autodesk.  I am staying with 2014 for the time being, I suggest you do the same.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 13
RChalmers2
in reply to: GrantsPirate

How will we know when they fix it? To me, it renders the upgrade essentially useless. And I paid all that money for a subscription 😞
Message 4 of 13
GrantsPirate

Watch in here for the announcement of SP2, go through the readme to see if it was addressed.  Or go to subscription page every now and then to see if SP2 is out.  

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 13
nestly2

Are there specific conditions to make the problem occur, or is it a random thing that affects some and not others? ... I can't seem to replicate the problem

Message 6 of 13
RChalmers2
in reply to: nestly2

I had two viewports going. One had a SW Isometric view, the other a Front view.  When I tried to draw a line from a 3d solid in the front view the line did not snap to the selected geometry but someone completely unrelated to it.  In the isolmetric view it sometimes worked as advertised and sometimes not.  OSNAPZ was set to 0.  Isometric drawing was turned off.  Dynamic Input was off.

I actually reset AutoCAD 2015 back to the original settings.  This fixed it....for a minute.  that's when I discovered it was related to Dynamic Input.  The default is for Dynamic Input to be on.  So when I tested it with it on, the line behaved as advertised.  When I turned Dynamic Input off, it went haywire again.

I have been running 2015 for about two weeks and had not had the problem before, even with Dynamic Input off (I always have it off).  So it has worked correctly in the past.

Frankly, I got so **** frustrated with it I uninstalled 2015 and went back to 2014.  I'm sticking with 2014 until this is fixed by AutoCAD.  According to a previous post this behavior has been reported in these forums before.  After a couple of service packs come out maybe I'll try it again. 

It's super frustrating because I really cannot use 2015 with that bug and I really like it, especially the variable model space viewports.  I absolutely cannot and should not have to have Dynamic Input on as I find it incredibly annoying and useless; I don't work numerically, I work geometrically.

I'm kind of upset about the whole thing because I just went on subscription and now my "upgrade" is useless.

Plus I'm nervous about installing Service Pack 1 to AutoCAD 2014 for fear it will screw something up.  It's not been a good experience for me.

Message 7 of 13
nestly2

Thanks, still no luck here replicating.  I was more curious than anything else..... I've already decided I can't move to 2015 because of unresolved issues.... which is also true of 2014... and 2013... and 2012.  Yes, I've been on paid Subscription since 2010 and my current contract extends through 2017, but AutoCAD2011 is the only version I'll use for production drawings... how's that for not getting your money's worth... lol  (ouch)  😞

Message 8 of 13
GrantsPirate

Nestly2,

I have found that if I rotate the UCS in any direction and any axis then it will show the problem.  Be sure to work in an iso view.  I can toggle DUCS on and I don't have the problem, toggle it off and it shows.  It only shows when using the line command as well.

If I rotate X by 10 degrees, turn DUCS off, start the line command while in an iso view I will have the problem.  The resulting line will be where you expect but the intermediate step while you are picking points will be all over the place.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 9 of 13
RChalmers2

Yes, you've described exactly what I've experienced.  I didn't try not using the command line so I can't speak to that.  I did try drawing things other than lines and it works as it should, not all wacked out.

So, if you use the LINE pull down or a tool button then it works correctly?

Message 10 of 13
nestly2

Oh! isn't that special  Smiley Indifferent   Behavior below happens for me with or without DUCS on, and with or without DYnamic Input on.

2015-Isometric-Line.gif

Message 11 of 13
RChalmers2

That's it....that's exactly what happened to me and kicked off this whole discussion.  

Message 12 of 13
GrantsPirate

Sorry, should be DYN not DUCS

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 13 of 13
dan908

Hello,

I saw your feedback email, but figured I would respond here since there are several people who had the same question. We are looking at the problem. It was fairly recently brought to our attention. It is a fairly specific case where you have to have a non-WCS UCS, dynmode to an off setting, and using the line command.

Unfortunately, we just did not hear about it soon enough to get it into the service pack we just released a few weeks ago. Several of us here would have totally pushed this through. But, we currently are researching this and we are pushing this for the next service pack. Since none of us can accurately predict the future, I can't really promise that it makes it into the next service pack or that there will be a next service pack.

Since several of you mentioned you are subscription customers and I know some of you, please let us know through product support, the forums, and/ or the feedback email about these problems as soon as you can. You probably noticed the Application Manager that pushes out service packs much more easily now and that is helping us to get you solutions.

Dan

Autodesk Inc

Dan

AutoCAD Quality Assurance Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost