Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Viewport Interference

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
keith.j.burke01
668 Views, 7 Replies

Drawing Viewport Interference

I am looking for a solution to my viewport troubles. I have a drawing with a main viewport showing the floor plan layout but i want to put a smaller viewport on the drawing for a detail but the main viewport is interfering with the smaller detail viewport. I have tried to use wipeout and bring the small detail viewport above the wipeout of the main viewport area but this does not work. I then clipped the main viewport and this worked but if i freeze the viewport layer the main view port goes back to original state and interferes with the smaller viewport again. Why is this and is there something i can do to fix this?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hwalker
in reply to: keith.j.burke01

Welcome to the Forums

I would sugggested either putting your viewports on the DEFPOINTS layer or creating a specific layer for your viewports and setting it to not plot, as I assume all you want is for the viewports not to show when you plot your drawing?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 8
keith.j.burke01
in reply to: hwalker

Its not printing as interfered as i have the viewport layer plotting cappablity frozen. its just when im working in the drawing and the viewport layer is frozen it reverts back to full viewport mode and it shows up as interfering with the viewport again and i cant enter the small detail viewport as the main viewport only becomes active.
Message 4 of 8

my mistake just realised that when the main viewport is frozen it is showing up on prinouts as interfering
Message 5 of 8
M_Hensley

You could make a viewport with a hole in it, then put the smaller viewport in the hole. Draw a polyline for the outside of the main viewport, then a smaller polyline for the hole. Use the REGION command and turn both polylines into regions. Next use SUBTRACT command to subtract the small region from the large one. Now make a viewport using the object option and select the region. Lastly create a small viewport in the hole.

Message 6 of 8
keith.j.burke01
in reply to: M_Hensley

this didnt work when i freeze the viewport its still interfering
Message 7 of 8
heinsite

Kate Morrical wrote a great post years ago about how to create a viewport with a hole in it.  You can find it here. 

As suggested earlier you would then place another single viewport for your detail in the hole.  This idea solves the interference issue with the main model because it will never appear in the hole.  There should be no need to freeze viewports either, and it may actually mess something up.  If you don't want to see the viewport frames on your prints simply set the viewport layers to no plot.  Viewports should always be on dedicated layers anyway, so if they're not already there make them that way.  It's always easy to control how they display (or don't) if they're on a dedicated layer.

And don't forget either that whenever you have nested viewports you'll need to use Ctrl-R to toggle between them!  Smiley Tongue

This should solve your problem. 

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 8 of 8
bjames50

we are having the same issue. What i did was turn the viewport layer off rather than freeze it. Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost