Did you mean: 

Double click editing does not work on inserts or their attributes

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
ajohnson
6807 Views, 26 Replies

Double click editing does not work on inserts or their attributes

We are starting to install AutoCAD 2014 on our machines. On one of our machines, the user can't get double click editing to work on inserts. I can open the drawing on my machine and it works fine. She is using the same profile and workspace and both machines have SP1 installed. Double click editing works for other objects (MLeaders, Text...) but not for inserts or their attributes. The only way she can edit the attribute text is through the property window.

What am I missing?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Patchy
in reply to: ajohnson

(Keeping all of her  .CUI somewhere and don't loose them)

then Copy all of your .CUI to her machine, close autocad and restart see if that'll help.

Message 3 of 27
ajohnson
in reply to: Patchy

Both are using the same CUI files (on a network). 

The double click editing works fine on her AC2013 program, just not the AC2014 version.

Message 4 of 27
dgladfelter

Have you checked the DBLCLKEDIT variable?

Donnie Gladfelter

Sr. Manager, Technical Staff Development, Bowman

The CAD Geek Blog

Facebook |Twitter |YouTube |LinkedIn

Message 5 of 27
ajohnson
in reply to: dgladfelter

DBLCLKEDIT: Both are set to "ON".

Message 6 of 27
dmfrazier

I'm going to guess the blocks are dynamic blocks.

In the CUI, the macro for double-click editing a "block" (BLOCKREF) looks like this (from 2010, but probably hasn't changed):

$M=$(if,$(and,$(>,$(getvar,blockeditlock),0)),^C^C_properties,^C^C_bedit)

The macro is the same for dynamic blocks (DYNBLOCKREF).

Notice the (getvar, blockeditlock) part?  Compare the value of this variable on the two machines.

Message 7 of 27
ajohnson
in reply to: dmfrazier

Blockeditlock is set to 0 on both machines.

Just noticed that on the offending machines, when you double click on a block, the AutoCAD cursor box (for lack of a better name) changes to the Windows Arrow pointer. You can actually edit the text of the attribute, but you don't get the enhanced editor dialog or the textbox and ruler around the attribute being edited. Also, the only way to get the AutoCAD cursor back is to key the Escape key.

Message 8 of 27
Patchy

Check ATTDIA, is it 1 or 0 ?

Message 9 of 27
dmfrazier

Just so I'm clear, are we dealing with dynamic blocks or not?

Message 10 of 27
ajohnson

Both dynamic and non-dynamic blocks.

It appears to be the EATTEDIT command. I can't use that command on the offending machines. ATTEDIT works fine on the machines.

Message 11 of 27
dmfrazier

It may have been "undefined" (?). Try running it with a dot at the beginning: .EATTEDIT

If it works, try REDEFINE.

Message 12 of 27
ajohnson

There appears to be some change in our setup that modifies the EATTEDIT command for our machines. Double click editing works just fine when using the "<<Unnamed Profile>>" out of the box profile on their machines.

Message 13 of 27
dmfrazier

Turns out EATTEDIT is an ARX application (not a "built-in" command that could be undefined).

You could check with APPLOAD to see if it's loading (this is one of those routines that is loaded only if it is run, so check after you attempt to run it).  If it's loading, the name AcEattedit should appear in the list.

AppLoad2013.png

If it isn't in the list, it may be that the "autoloader" isn't loaded or working.

The "autoloader" is defined in acad2013doc.lsp (usually located in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\<product>\Support\en-us), so that's the next thing you might check.

You could also check to see that the above path is included in your Support Files Search path in Options.

Message 14 of 27
ajohnson

The AcEAttedit.arx appears in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014 folder on both machines.

It also appears in the APPLOAD Loaded Applications list on both machines.

When we type in EATTEDIT on the machine where the command doesn't work, it prompts with "Select a block:", but then switches to the Windows Arrow cursor and the only way to get back to AutoCAD is to key the Escape key.

Command: EATTEDIT

Select a block:

Message 15 of 27
dmfrazier

Assuming you haven't tried this already, I think it may be time (cringe) for the old uninstall/re-install. Make sure Windows is up-to-date, and nothing else is running during the install.

Message 16 of 27
ajohnson

No, it's something in our settings.  As I said above, the EATTEDIT works when using the "<<Unnamed Profile>>".

Message 17 of 27
dmfrazier

Yes, I see your point.

Assuming one workstation is essentially equivalent to another (in terms of the important Options settings), have you tried exporting an ARG from one of the good machines and importing it on the "offending" one?

Message 18 of 27
ajohnson

Yes, we tried that too. Thanks. No luck though.

Message 19 of 27
dmfrazier

If you think it's a "setting", have you tried VARS2SCR?

Message 20 of 27
ajohnson

VARS2SCR - I didn't know that existed!

We tried it and it didn't fix our problem. Thanks anyway, I'll have to remember that one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost