Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document File Description Field & Title Block Attributes

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
simonwall2277
1248 Views, 2 Replies

Document File Description Field & Title Block Attributes

We over 3000 dwgs setup so that the Title blocks have attributes for Drg No., Title & Revision Number.

I'd like to link / copy the contents of these attrubutes to the properties of the files (i.e the Document Fields - DWGPROPS) so that this data can be read from an explorer window.

That way you don't have to open the drawing to see whats on the title block.

I've seen that you can link a field to an attribute using: Field Category: Objects, Field names: Object then selecting the attribute (block that it's stored in) but can a simular thing be done for Field Category: Document, Field names: Title

"To possibly complicate matters - the title attribute is made from a Multiline attrubute - maybe a good this as we dont have 5 Atts one for each line"

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TerryDotson
in reply to: simonwall2277

For built-in functionality that is currently available, take a look at the PROPULATE command.

However it's not perfect.  We've had this request before so we will be adding it to our ToolPac product.  The DWGPROPS section does not read fields, so linking in that direction is not possible.  However copying and linking back to the block (in multiple drawing automation) is possible.

What we're envisioning is a dialog based tool where you select multiple drawings (including simply specifying a folder and it's subfolders) then it could scan those drawings for the blocks/attributes and DWGPROP fields.  You would then set up the relationship to establish and it could then (optionally) copy the attributes to the properties section but most importantly it could link (using fields) that back to the title block.  That way you could change the information only once in the DWGPROPS dialog and the title block would always reflect the DWGPROPS info.

Of course this would require one title block per drawing, not one per layout.  If you wish you can email one of your drawings to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com so we could look at the impact of your multi-line attributes.

Message 3 of 3
simonwall2277
in reply to: TerryDotson

Terry,
Thanks for responding to my query, Just after posting it I did some more digging and found the other discussion about "Harvesting" this data.

Having a tool as you described would be ideal, Also amending the information from the files properties would be a huge benefit.

Within out setup we do use only one Layout per file, so multiple layout's with bespoke titleblocks is not a problem for us. We do however use a Multi-line attribute for the drawing title so when using Data-extract it's formatted with the paragraph breaks, which I appear as additional spaces in DWGPROP. I will put together a file and email it over so you can clearly see whats going on.

I also emailed your support yesterday inquiring about PROP2XL as it no longer seams to be in circulation. This would be handy too for compiling a register once PROPDWG is populated, although this is a bonus as we already use DATAEXTRACT via linked Excel to do this. As I indicated in my OP the main goal is to allow users without AutoCAD to check Titles & Revisions of drawings from MS Explorer and make amendments if required.

Your help is most appreciated

Simon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost