AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

taisenberg
Message 1 of 12 (444 Views)

Disappearing 'Select Color' dialog box

444 Views, 11 Replies
03-14-2013 05:36 AM

I consider myself an advanced CAD user and I appreciate much of the evolution that hapenned since I started using CAD-14.  However, one of the most annoying features introduced in CAD 2010 is the 'disappearing' layer dialog box once you go to select a color. So you open the layer, create a new one, go to select a color just before you assign it a linetype, lineweigth and make it current, but as soon as you open the 'select color' dialog box and hover over it the layer window just goes. I know you can just make sure you do the color selection last, but what if you want to create three different layers and assign them a color ? you have to open the layer window 3 times and look for your layers... ANNOYING.

I know lots of people who find it utterly annoying but for some reason just accept it as a neccessary evil. I've looked all over for a system variable to override it but couldn't find anything.

If anybody got a solution for that (essentially to make it stop disappear) or at least give me some convincing argument why this should remain I'd be eternally grateful.

Tal

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 12 (422 Views)

Re: Disappearing 'Select Color' dialog box

03-14-2013 07:02 AM in reply to: taisenberg

Hi,

>> as soon as you open the 'select color' dialog box and hover over it the layer window just goes

Never had that and never read about that.

Are you sure that it's not just minimized? Is the layermanager closed then? Can you restart it without issues after it didappeared?

I guess you have Win7, you have not all servicepacks or an older graphiccard driver (or a lower-end graphiccard), and the layermanager window does not disappear ... it's behind another window. To verify that open AutoCAD, don't maximize it, make it a little bit smaller than your screen. Start the layermanager, resize it so it's margins are outside of the AutoCAD-application window. Now try to reproduce the issue! Does the layermanager now really disappear or is it just behind the AutoCAD-windows?

>> I know lots of people who find it utterly annoying

Do you have any links to that lots of people having discussed the same problem?

At least one option is free to use: you can use the old layermanager, command _CLASSICLAYER

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 3 of 12 (410 Views)

03-14-2013 10:11 AM in reply to: taisenberg

I've gotta go with Alfred on this -- never seen it, never heard of anyone running into it.  & It doesn't happen here, with either the classic layer dialog or the new palette.

Is it possible that a custom layer dialog is being used in your shop?  what happens if your type .layer ? (with the period)

What is LAYERDLGMODE set to?

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 4 of 12 (400 Views)

03-14-2013 04:24 PM in reply to: taisenberg

I may had such experience once or twice, but I can't remember how did I resolved it. Try change the docking location of the Layer manager palette, Cancel "Auto-hide", Or use classic layer manager dialogue with CLASSICLAYER command.

Valued Contributor
Neil47
Message 5 of 12 (393 Views)

03-15-2013 01:06 AM in reply to: 3wood

I have always had this when Auto Hide is set On and the manager is not docked, Classiclayer solves the issue if it is annoying

Map 3D 2013

Win7 SP1 64bit

Intel Xeon E31225 3.10ghz

8gb RAM

Nvidia Quadro 600

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 6 of 12 (389 Views)

03-15-2013 03:29 AM in reply to: Neil47

Interesting,  I've personally found autohide to be far more annoying than useful,  trying it out I can replicate the issue, in that picking the color tool for a layer triggers autohide as soon as the colot chooser displays.  Truly a PITA, and a good reason to kill autohide as a sub-par implementation of a mediocre idea.  YMMV

taisenberg
Message 7 of 12 (382 Views)

03-15-2013 05:02 AM in reply to: JGerth

Thanks guys for the feedback,

.layer and classiclayer seem to do the trick, Neil47, but that's missing the point, should we really resort to old-school CAD commands when AutoDesk just need to think things through and make sure any new improvements do not turn into impedement. 

Yes, I agree with JGerth, Autohide is nice when it makes sense, but in the color screen it doesn't, it needs to be modal and connected to the layer screen state rather have its own life. In this instance it is quite annoying. 

I have searched for a solution for this issue online several times but never found one. So I started asking around in my office (over 120 CAD users) - many of them think the same thing about this but just put up with it (and slowly building the grudge toward AutoCAD). I hope this can be sorted in the next version.

Anyway, if anybody finds a solution to this nuisance I'd be eternally grateful :smileyhappy:

T

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 8 of 12 (379 Views)

03-15-2013 05:09 AM in reply to: taisenberg

Good points -- it should be a child of the layer palette - guess the dev's were just slack in their testing.

Try the "Contact Us" link at the top of this page, and give them some feedback on this irritation.  In the meantime, I think I'll add it to the Paper Cuts thread at AUGI.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 9 of 12 (370 Views)

03-15-2013 05:40 AM in reply to: taisenberg

taisenberg wrote:

..... should we really resort to old-school CAD commands

See, I don't consider the model layer dialog an "old-school CAD command".

It's a model dialog, and the palette isn't.  It's user choice, not really an "old" way and a "new" way.

Having said that, I do agree that accessing the color dialog should temorarily disable the auto-hide feature of the layer palette, while the color dialog is open.  (I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be "fixed" anytime soon)

condur
Message 10 of 12 (128 Views)

03-08-2014 11:06 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Hei

Did you find a solution after all? I encounter the same inconvenient and I really hate it. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube