Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Fill Color Text Box Size

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
mandini
11820 Views, 17 Replies

Dimension Fill Color Text Box Size

I have the fill color turned on in my dimension style to background.  I want to adjust the "masking" box size.  Just as you are able to in the text edit-background mask.  I believe the default must be 1.25 larger than the text.  I would like it to be 1.00.  Is this possible?  Has anyone ever been able to change this?  You can adjust the text background mask size, but not the dimension mask size.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
maxim_k
in reply to: mandini

Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to adjust this setting.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 18
dmfrazier

If you use the DimStyle (or Properties) to turn on the "Background mask" property, you are correct that the size of the mask cannot be changed.

However, it can be changed by editing the dim text (via ddedit).  Select the text, right-click, and select Background mask to get the same control you would see with text:

BackgroundMask.png

Strangely, you still have to have the "Background mask" property set on the dimension for this to work.  It's also strange that even though the property is set there, the check box is initially "unchecked" here.  Kind of confusing...

Once you have one dim set this way, you can use MatchProps to "fix" other dimensions.

This "background mask" appears to be a completely separate property of the text specifically, and not the dimension and/or its style.  I find it interesting that "background mask" (and its sub-properties) cannot be set as part of a text style.  (Maybe in 2016.)

Message 4 of 18
mandini
in reply to: dmfrazier

I'm in 2013 and there is no option to do a background mask in the ddedit and then edit the dimension text via right-

click.  See below.  I think it's one of those things that I hope the add an option someday.  Thanks for your input!! Smiley Happy

asdasd.png

Message 5 of 18
dmfrazier

I'm also on 2013.

Your text editor looks different from mine.

I have MTEXTED = OldEditor.

Message 6 of 18
mandini

I see.  Well I changed it to the "old editor" and tried it.  The following is what I get.

asdasd.png

So I apparenlty could change it here.  I hit OK and it doesn't change.  So I double check it and this it what comes back up.  The background mask remains unchecked.  Strange.   It won't take.

asdasd2.PNG

Message 7 of 18
dmfrazier

I had the same experience.  As I mentioned in my first post:

"...you still have to have the "Background mask" property set on the dimension for this to work."

So, be sure to set the Property on the dimension (or in the DimStyle) before you attempt to edit the dim text. This works for me, so hopefully it will work for you.  If not, then we'll have to see what else might be going on.

Edit: I think this has to do with the value you're trying to set it to. I think it has to be greater than 1. Try 1.05, or similar.

Message 8 of 18
dmfrazier

I apologize. Smiley Embarassed

Although I was convinced I had gotten this to work, apparently I am mistaken or have been deluding myself (it wouldn't be the first time).  I also tested it in 2010 to see if maybe it had been changed in 2013, but it works the same way there.

So, as you say, perhaps this option will be added some day.  It certainly makes sense.

Message 9 of 18
mandini

Smiley Very Happy  It's okay...I do that too sometimes. Convinced something works, but then it won't do the same thing again.

I actually contacted the AutoCAD experience group and explained everything to them.  The would look into it for future versions to see if they can get something to work there.  Hopefully SOON!!

Thanks for all your help!

Dini

Message 10 of 18
SmithG_NZ

I was just about to raise this as a formal REQ. in fact I did. Case ID: 09311456

As mentioned by others over the many years this issue has been around, I just cannot believe it has never been addressed. Must be something to do with the way AutoDesk only chase the "important" stuff and whil ethere is a workaround that halyway addresses the issue, it magically "goes away".

Or, it truly is a bug in the way that they manage DIMENSION elements Vs TEXT elements. So completey difernt beasts that they cannot perform the same.

However, It behooves me to mention that because they added the control for the Background Mask width, why did they not also make it effective?

Oversight or again, just too hard.

Thank you for raising it, I will look forward to a final resolution to this (one of many) long lasting problem with AutoDesk software.

Message 11 of 18
itbemedg

You can set a dimstyle to have a background mask in dimstyle>modify>text>fill color and select background. Since you can't add a background mask on the fly to dimensions, I set up a dimstyle with masking using my current one and put "masked" in the name for it. Then I can change a dimension through its properties to the masked dimstyle.

Message 12 of 18
itbemedg
in reply to: itbemedg

I meant to refer to this lisp which will let you resize a dimension's mask size.

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/2d-editing/adjust-dimension-text-masking

Message 13 of 18
mandini

Thanks!  I'm not a programming guru at this and never modified a LISP file before.  How do I exactly do this?  I would really like to try this and see if I can make it work. 

Message 14 of 18
ChrisWebster

@itbemedg wrote:

I meant to refer to this lisp which will let you resize a dimension's mask size.

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/2d-editing/adjust-dimension-text-masking

This works perfect in ACAD 2015! Thanks.

Message 15 of 18
mcweb

This still works in ACAD 2017. But, is there a way to apply it to multiple instead of individual selections? 

Message 16 of 18
tomprichard

Still using AC2012 here. The setvar "MEASUREMENT" affects the default offset around a dimension's text mask.

(It's the metric/English units toggle not a distance or scale factor). It does make a difference though.

Message 17 of 18
alx86

Thanks @itbemedg !! This is something that has been bothering me for YEARS.... never truly search for a solution tho. Thanks for this lisp! Works on AutoCAD 2023

Message 18 of 18
luongtienlanh
in reply to: mcweb

Same Question!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost