Did you mean: 

Default Scale List Location?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
TrevN
3710 Views, 17 Replies

Default Scale List Location?

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the DEFAULT SCALE LIST is stored in the C: drive?

I have set it up in the option tab and all is working, but will soon be installing several new PC's with AC and want to drop the stored file straight into the new PC's rather than having to type them out one by one on each PC.

Ta

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Jay_B
in reply to: TrevN

AFAIK, the Scale list is stored within the registry, One option would be to export the profile and import the arg on other machines.

I'd strongly recommend setting up new Windows user account and creating the arg from that clean account with required settings so when the arg is exported the other users don't get all of the main user sheet set history among other things when importing.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 18
TrevN
in reply to: Jay_B

So as per usual it's a pain in the A*** to do, when it should be straight forward. Just like everything else with AC!!!
Message 4 of 18
rkmcswain

@TrevN wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the DEFAULT SCALE LIST is stored ......

I *think* this is it

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-Bxxx:xxx\Scale List

(I say *think* because I'm using Civil 3D and I'm pretty sure its location is slightly different). Easy to tell, just look on your one good machine to see if that reg path matches the settings you have set up.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 18
Jay_B

Here's what the Help say's about where the Default Scale list is stored. I'm unsure if other files are involved.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 18
Jay_B

RK has the right path.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B000:409\Scale List (for 2013 AutoCad)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D000:409\Scale List (for 2014 AutoCad)

Edit: My machine has Civil 3D loaded as well so may not be exactly same path for vnilla Acad.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: rkmcswain

And "deploying" is relatively simple - just export the registry contents to a REG file, then merge it in to the other computers after AutoCAD is installed and configured.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

And "deploying" is relatively simple

Relatively being the key word 🙂

I'm dreaming of this big "cad manager" control panel utility ....where I can push stuff like this to a set of domain computers.... w/o making reg files, etc...

Message 9 of 18
dgorsman

Which would likely end up making an XML or REG file pushed to the workstations, or hosted and read over the network.  Gotta get the information from point 'A' to 'B' somehow other than a live transmission ("I'm sorry, I can't do that Dave..."  😄 )

Message 10 of 18
TrevN
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for all that chaps, makes sense. Only problem now is I'm also running Civils 3D and that isn't called C3D in the registry, any ideas?
Message 11 of 18
rkmcswain

@TrevN wrote:
..... I'm also running Civils 3D and that isn't called C3D in the registry, any ideas?

"what" isn't called C3D in the registry?

The path we've been discussing?

It's still HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\Scale List (at least for C3D 2013).

Now there are some other lists here, but I'm not quite sure what they are used for. Maybe as a default for new users until they customize their own list?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\AEC\7.0\AecBase70\Scales

Message 12 of 18
TrevN

Wasn't 100% sure that was the one I wanted as I also have listed software from a couple of suites and a stand alone, which are called what they are, eg Revit.

Ta tho.
Message 13 of 18
SteveChestnut

Hello,

Another way to add to your scale list is to add the scales to your template.

This way you do not have to touch the registry.

We use one basic template for almost all our drawings.

Our template has an empty model space with our titleblock, border and 1 viewport on the layout.

Years ago I opened the template, selected the viewport and in the Viewport Scales pull-up list selected Custom.

I then added several additional scales and saved the template.

These additional scales have stayed in the template for years.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Message 14 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: SteveChestnut

@SteveChestnut wrote:

Hello,

Another way to add to your scale list is to add the scales to your template.

Note that if you ever reset the list, only the values from the registry are added back in.

Unfortunately we "reset" a lot due to working with old drawings and/or drawings from others.

Message 15 of 18
dgorsman

What I've done in the past is create a unique name for the scale, such as "NeedToFindThisScale".  Then its a simple search in the registry editor to track down the exact location.

Message 16 of 18
waltspar

If you are familiar with Batch or scripting, you can create the follwoing batch file that can be called from your Loginscript.  You can create a file that creates a text key file on the users machine once the routine runs once, so that it does not run again until you modify or remove the key file (which can be done with the same routine). This makes it easy to run automated updates or system checks remotely.

This notifies the user that it is about to run and tells them to accept it. Not perfect, but short of changing when the level at  Windows notifies you about automated registry entries (which could have security implications) I do not know another way yet. It imports a registry key that was exported from a machine that has the proper scales setup.

Batch file "scalelist.bat": Run this from your login script after drives are mapped or use UNC share names.

Echo off
cls
ECHO NOTE:
ECHO.
ECHO A system update is being done that requries adding
ECHO a registry entry to your system.
ECHO.
ECHO When prompted:
ECHO.
Echo Do you want to allow the following program to make
ECHO changes to your computer, select "Yes".
ECHO.
ECHO If you have any concerns, please contact the
ECHO system Admin at extension 123.
ECHO.
ECHO System Admin (Walt)
ECHO.
ECHO.
Pause
REGEDIT.EXE /S f:\custom\templates\ACAD-13_Scale_list.REG

It's time to re-evaluate "how you've always done it"…
Tags (1)
Message 17 of 18
jmayo-EE

...still dreaming...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

jmayo wrote:

...still dreaming...

Ha... No sense wasting time waiting on someone else to fix your problems. We simply reset the scale list every time a file is opened to a predetermined list of scales.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost