AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

opie
Message 1 of 4 (237 Views)

DWG loads to 75%, then hangs... Causes Message '...Memory Low, loss of work..."

237 Views, 3 Replies
02-08-2013 04:51 AM

I was placing final touches on paperspace viewports (changing transparency settings etc), after wrapping that up, saved. Then tried to Publish.  That's where things went downhill, drawing/publishing froze, forced to restart, now the drawing only loads to ~68 - 75% and hangs / freezes.  Eventually, I get a message box stating that AutoCAD physical memory low, continuing will result in data loss.  Task Manager claims AutoCAD is running @ ~98% (650Mb). (I've tried letting it 'think it' though for hours, just hangs, forcing me to end AutoCAD)

Here is the kicker.  I can upload the drawing to AutoCAD WS and open it on my iPhone/iPad, but the 3D viewports are limited in detail.

Tried opening on a MAC and the same thing happens.

Tried clearing the Cachemax/cachemaxtotal, still nothing...

Specs:

Windows 8, AutoCAD 2013

16Gb Ram, 19.3Gb Free of 238Gb (C:smileyhappy:, i7 CPU

Drawing size is 6Mb, so it won't upload...

Thanks for any help!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 4 (232 Views)

Re: DWG loads to 75%, then hangs... Causes Message '...Memory Low, loss of work

02-08-2013 05:19 AM in reply to: opie

Hi,

can you insert the drawing into a new one using the _INSERT command?

If so can you then try to insert the layouts from your defect drawing into the current one (e.g. using DesignCenter).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
opie
Message 3 of 4 (224 Views)

02-08-2013 06:06 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA
Did recover it in a very simple primitive 2D version... But many of the layers need to be 'reconciled'... None of the 13 papers paces are transferred like you said.

It's a start, thanks for the advice!
Wartherd
Message 4 of 4 (199 Views)

02-09-2013 10:33 AM in reply to: opie

Does AutoCAD recognize that the DWG file is damaged and try to automatically repair it when you open the file?  Or is AutoCAD just trying to open the file as usual?

In cases where the file may be damaged and AutoCAD does not automatically detect the damage, then you would need to use the RECOVER command to try open it instead (or the RECOVERALL command if you need to repair related xrefs at the same time).

You can also try the DRAWINGRECOVERY command to open the Drawing Recovery Manager.  The pane that opens will show all the backup files and automatic save files for DWGs that were open when AutoCAD crashed.  If you used the Task Manager to kill AutoCAD, or AutoCAD closed instantly without popping up any messages, then your file will not show up there.

If none of the above works, then you can use Windows Explorer to find any related DWG, BAK, and SV$ files.  If you have lost only a couple minutes of work, then always look for a recent BAK file - it may be quicker to rename the BAK file and simply redo the latest edits.  The BAK and SV$ files are basically renamed DWG files - find files with similar names/dates/sizes and rename them to DWG and try to open them.

After a crash, always find and make a temporary copy of all related DWG, BAK, and SV$ files.  This is important for recovery - if you mess up any of these files, then you reduce your chances of recovery.

See the links below for further information...

Recover Command

Recoverall Command

Drawing Recovery Manager

About Recovering from a System Failure

Understanding AutoCAD backup and autosave files

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube