AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 51 of 95 (887 Views)

Re: DON’T LOAD 2013!

04-28-2012 06:30 PM in reply to: don

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  You will be able to open the files, but the mess left behind will still be there.  Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to repair or reinstall your 2012 installation too once 2013 is gone.  But don't be surprised if you do.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Contributor don
Contributor
don
Message 52 of 95 (878 Views)

04-28-2012 11:56 PM in reply to: heinsite

adds a new dimension to 'life sucks and then you die' doesn't it...?

Had a fun evening trying to import a block into that file, finally had to xref it in after exploding it 2X and making it into a wblock. what was interesting was it kept flipping out from model to work space and 2X exploding didn't break the block.  IT kept saying the block already existed in the file, which was nowhere to be found, and that failed to initialize as well.  So xref was what worked.  How long do you estimate it will be before Adesk cleans up the 2013 mess and offers an patch update for the beta worse than nevah edition?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 53 of 95 (875 Views)

04-29-2012 12:25 AM in reply to: don

Hi,

>> trying to import a block into that file [...]

>> IT kept saying the block already existed in the file, which was nowhere to be found

Sure you have a problem with 2013? Seeing the above words I think IT is right, the blockDEFINITION is inserted already in the file at the first time you tried to insert the file. Even if you don't see it on modelspace or paperspace, the definition is not visible in any of these spaces.

If you want to know if a blockdefnition is in the drawing, start the _INSERT dialog, pop up the blockname-list and look if the name is listed you are looking for.

What you haven't told us: why did you fail inserting the external DWG, what messages did AutoCAD you give, either as error dialogs or as messages in the command-line. If you think that a product has bugs then it's necessary to get that information, without it:

• nobody knows what happend exectly
  • so it could also be a defect drawing use use, or a mistake how you used the commands (sorry)
  • the product can't be repaired then (and that you wrote here a message I think you wish to get something repaired)

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 54 of 95 (869 Views)

04-29-2012 01:01 AM in reply to: don

I don't have any idea how long they'll work on this before releasing a service pack.  But given the extent, nature, and severity of the problems being reported a lot of debugging got left undone.  If anything comes out before summer it will be a surprise;  more likely it'll be end of summer at the earliest.  We'll see.  And if it's still a "broken" release in December it will be a complete an embarassment at AU in Las Vegas, that's for sure.  It is still only a month after release, but the near total silence of the "evangalists" these days about all this is quite deafening really.  We should hope they realize that we can hear and we do take note of what they don't say, on equal par with everything else.

In the brief look I had at 2013 before things went south there wasn't really anything there all that tempting, and certainly none of the cloud stuff.  Since I'm honestly very happy with 2012 none of this is going to affect me.  I'll hang out there until all this blows over.  Maybe all year.

:smileytongue:

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Contributor don
Contributor
don
Message 55 of 95 (868 Views)

04-29-2012 01:12 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

wasn't in the block list, no matter how many times I tried to insert it, everytiime the block menu came up thru 'insert/block ribbon command, I went ot the list, it wasn't there, I had to go to browse to find it and and it wouldn't insert.  Got a failed to initialize message.  

I have no idea what the issue was, as I was in ACA 2012 with the 'first opened in 2013' file which seems to be permanently imbued with the 2013 handles even though I saved it of as 2010.  I guess these are 'love handles' from AEC and I can't divore them until there is an ACA workaround for our permanent marriage to opening in 2013.  it seems you have to go back to the virgin file and open her in 2011 or 2012 and save her off in 2011/12 in order to keep her fully functional and viable.  IF I divorce myself from 2013 permanently, for now, will i be stuck with her doppelganagers in perpetuity until AD comes up with a patch for it?

I am, in no way, a power user, just your run of the mill cad abuser.

Contributor don
Contributor
don
Message 56 of 95 (865 Views)

04-29-2012 01:14 AM in reply to: don

I will revert!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 57 of 95 (864 Views)

04-29-2012 01:21 AM in reply to: don

Hi,

>> and it wouldn't insert.  Got a failed to initialize message

Can you make a screenshot of this message (so we see the exact wording plus the title of this dialog).

But as I see you are using ACA, maybe it's an ACA-problem, then the >>>forum for ACA<<< would be the correct one (I don't know ACA, sorry).

>> the 'first opened in 2013'

To be honest: everyone get a message (after the filedialog and file-selection for opening a file) that informs that the AEC-objects are upgraded then. Why is everyone answering this dialog with OK if nobody want it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 58 of 95 (863 Views)

04-29-2012 01:22 AM in reply to: don

Hi,

>> I will revert!

how do I have to understand that?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 59 of 95 (855 Views)

04-29-2012 09:45 AM in reply to: donande

>>>...To be clear when you open a dwg in 2013 it upgrades AEC objects to 2013, but when you save-as to 2010 or it auto-saves the AECs stay 2013...<<<

That's all anyone here is saying: the same exact thing happens in R2010/11/12 if your drawing contained AEC content from 2009/2004/2000 and you saved the DWG file in 2010/11/12.

Your 'problem' has no fix and never will fixed.

Your 'problem' is a deliberate DWG design intent by Autodesk. It's not something anyone is going to 'fix'.

Your 'problem' is not new, it happens witrh every DWG change. I got caught in it with ADT2004. Do I still use 2002? Heck no, everyone around me moved up by 2005 and so did I.

Your 'problem' will not be fixed in 2013/14/15 or later versions, so DO NOT LOAD 2013 is the totally wrong advise to give, it needs clarification why it does not work for you and anyone else in the same boat  (as you did in what I quoted above).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 60 of 95 (854 Views)

04-29-2012 09:47 AM in reply to: GARYBARNES2111

Reread the final reply above from the OP:

"To be clear when you open a dwg in 2013 it upgrades AEC objects to 2013, but when you save-as to 2010 or it auto-saves the AECs stay 2013."

That's the correct diagnosis: it also happened in 2010, 2007 and 2004. Perhaps you weren't using files with AEC content at those times. It is deliberately designed to happen with every new DWG format change.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube