Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMBREAK Not Working on Multileaders or Dimension Extension line.

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
clemay
13318 Views, 27 Replies

DIMBREAK Not Working on Multileaders or Dimension Extension line.

I have set the Break Size for the dimension style and the Multileader Style and it only seems to work sometimes.  I have even tried to break via the manual selection of the 2 break points, but still no luck.  My styles are set to Annotative and I did not know if i am missing something or a variable that needs to be set.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Soyoung.H
in reply to: clemay

You may want to read this.

Dimension Break Exceptions
- No break in xrefs or blocks
Dimension breaks on dimensions or multileaders in xrefs and blocks are not supported. However, the objects in an xref or block can be used as the cutting edges for dimension breaks on dimensions or multileaders that are not in an xref or block.

- No break on arrowhead and dimension text
Dimension breaks cannot be placed on an arrowhead or the dimension text. If you want a break to appear at the dimension text, it is recommended to use the background mask option. If the intersecting point of an object and the dimension are at the arrowhead or dimension text, the break will not be displayed until the intersecting object, or dimension or multileader are moved.

- No break on trans-spatial dimensions
Automatic breaks are not supported for objects and dimensions or multileaders that are in different spaces. In order to break a dimension or multileader that is in a different space, you need to use the Manual option of the DIMBREAK command.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-D04569C5-36A2-4DC1-A831-DF2D921FA8F5.htm

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Soyoung.H
Message 3 of 28
jggerth

post a sample drawing that illustrates the issue.

Message 4 of 28
clemay
in reply to: jggerth

I appreciate the posting with the exceptions, but unfortunately, none of my leaders fall into the categories.  I have attached a clip of a few sections that i am trying to place breaks in.  Manual does not work either. Frustrating.  I would hate to explode them all and the create them by some cheasy trim method.

Notes for record:  My software is up to date, I have rebooted my machine and it seems to work on new dimensions created through the dimension line, but not extension lines.

Please let me know if you need any further data.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 5 of 28
clemay
in reply to: Soyoung.H

You answered my question the first time you sent it.  It was in the link you sent...and I even read it and missed it. The reason I cannot create DIMBREAKs in my Multileaders is because they are spline.  When changed to Straight, the appeared instantly.

THANKS AGAIN!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 6 of 28
coopdetat

There is another cause for DIMBREAK not working.  I have experienced breaks not happening where there appears to be no reason for them not to work.  In these cases I've found that the objects have different Z-elevations.  This is usually the result from snapping to things with differing Z-elevations while placing the dimension and/or multileader.

I have an old lisp macro that fixes it for me (the old move to 0,0,10e99 and then move to 0,0,-10e99 trick) but using the properties dialog to set their Z-elevations to equal values should work as well.  This is the only thing that has ever caused DIMBREAK to not work for me (other than those "as-intended" behaviors in the accepted solution).

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
Message 7 of 28
PraetorianGuard

I've encountered a problem with DIMBREAK in AutoCAD 2014 which didn't appear to exist in AutoCAD 2013.

The issues listed in the 'solution' do not apply and I cannot find a reason for the error to exist.

The attached file illustrates the problem exactly. Some dimensions work fine with DIMBREAK, while some do not, and I cannot figure out why. I have noticed that the problem becomes more likely if a dimension has been copied into place, but sometimes DIMBREAK simply fails to accept a given line or dimension as an existant object, and you can click and click and click without anything happening.

If someone could figure this out, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 28
nestly2
in reply to: PraetorianGuard

Wecome to the Autodesk forums.

In your case, I believe the problem is because the 430 dimension already had a (auto) dimbreak applied.  Try [R]emoving the dimbreak from the 430 dimension, then re-apply dimbreak to the 500 and 430 dimension either in in order, or by using the [M]ultiple option.

Message 9 of 28
PraetorianGuard
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for your suggested solution. I have just tried it. Sadly, this doesn't quite work correctly. While it fixes one dimension's ability to be recognised by DIMBREAK, it breaks functionality with another, and using DIMBREAK on the multileaders still doesn't work.

I did notice that the order of operation could help work around the problem, but that only works for two objects. As soon as you have more, it all falls apart. Also, you can sometimes (but not always) restore DIMBREAK functionality by redrawing the misbehaving dimension. This shouldn't be necessary and frustratingly doesn't always work.

The weirdest part is that I have been using DIMBREAK for years, and have never had such an issue until AutoCAD 2014.

Any other ideas?

Message 10 of 28
nestly2

Hi

I don't have an explaination why 2014 seems to be working differently for you, but it does appear to be working correctly for me, at least after first removing the dimbreaks, then re-applying.

Dimbreak.gif

Message 11 of 28
PraetorianGuard

Hi!

I've taken some more time to test and retest your suggested solution in various circumstances, and have come to a conclusion: once a dimension or multileader has been affected by DIMBREAK, it cannot be used to affect any other dimension or multileader by another use of DIMBREAK.

So, the order in which DIMBREAK is used matters, and your solution is correct. Many thanks for that. Smiley Happy

But that still leaves a nagging question... why the regression in functionality of DIMBREAK? Smiley Sad

Hopefully, it will be fixed/improved in future.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 28
bennerebe

I've tried it all.

removed all breaks.  Started from multiple different starting levels from top to bottom.

Redrew every dimension.

There are many other instances in my file that dimbreak is functioning (mostly) properly.

But here, I give up.

Even if you are able to stragitically solve my issue here, it's worthless.  If it takes that long and that many people to remedy it's not an efficient enough of a tool.

For that amout of time I might as well draw the extention line spaces manually.  Too bad, I was pretty sure we were in the 21st century.

SolidWorks does this automatically.  Maybe the folks at AutoCAD should buy a copy and take some notes from it.

Message 13 of 28
ramcharger318
in reply to: bennerebe

I have noticed that DIMBREAK doesn't work on dimensions that have been copied.  Has anyone else noticed this?

I can create two new dimensions, and DIMBREAK works as it should, but if I try to it on a dimension that I copied it doesn't. 

I tried to reassoicate the dimensions, but does not help.

Message 14 of 28
pendean

Copied but not associated with an object?
Message 15 of 28

I've just tried to replicate the problem in AutoCAD 2014 & 2015 and have found no such problem with copied dimensions, associated and unassociated.
Message 16 of 28

Can you try on 2013?

Message 17 of 28
nestly2
in reply to: ramcharger318

AutoCAD 2013

ACad2013 Dimbreak.gif

Message 18 of 28
ramcharger318

Thanks.

Please try on the attached drawing at the upper most dimensions.

Message 19 of 28

I'm in AutoCAD 2018 and am having the same problem. I copied dimensions from one layout to another and modified them, and DIMBREAK isn't working unless I redraw them. 

Message 20 of 28
JRS-JCI
in reply to: annieruth7

You'll likely need to remove any previous DIMBREAKing from the dimensions in question.

To do so, type DIMBREAK 😆 M (for multiple) 😆 select the dimensions 😆 R (for remove) 😆 Enter.

Then apply DIMBREAK to the desired dimensions, being mindful of the order in which you apply it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost