Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDEDIT Unknown Command

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Jason.Piercey
12280 Views, 44 Replies

DDEDIT Unknown Command

In AutoCAD 2015 the help files state DDEDIT (obsolete) should invoke the TEXTEDIT command.  It does not.  This apparently works fine in LT but not regular AutoCAD.

For those that have customizations using DDEDIT, you'll need to modify them.

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
albionpjl
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean. 

I have just now created a button on one of my custom toolbars for it (and called it DDedit), but if there is a way to set it up so that double clicking on the text makes it edit as DDedit worked, that would be better. Can a lisp do that?

I get that they removed DDedit and replaced it with edittext but that's what I'm grumbling about. They removed a command I used and replaced it with one that doesn't do what I want it to do.

Message 22 of 45
albionpjl

@Dean

My previous reply was a 'yes please' if it wasn't clear. I tried to edit it to make it clearer after I remembered that some places take a 'thanks' to mean no, but the edit option has vanished from the post.

I have no idea how to write a lisp.

Message 23 of 45

I am not a cad expert and need help.  For 15 years when you double click on text it opens/starts ddedit and you could edit your text. No keyboard needed to open command.  This still works on mtext but not single line text.  I am not sure why double clicking single line text trys to open DDEDIT if it does not exist any longer.  Is ther a way we can make this happen.

Message 24 of 45

EDWARDABSHIER3516 wrote:
.....This still works on mtext but not single line text.  I am not sure why double clicking single line text trys to open DDEDIT if it does not exist any longer. 

This is my unaltered ACAD.CUIX for 2015.

The double click action for TEXT calls the macro _textedit

Maybe you have a double click action for text defined in another CUI?

cui50.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Tags (1)
Message 25 of 45

I am not a cad professional and have not changed anything.  I installed Monday and have been trrying to get it running smoothly since. I do not even lnow what a CUIX is.  Ha, ha! Any other suggestions?

Ed

Message 26 of 45

Ok. Follow these steps:

1. At the AutoCAD command line, paste in the following, and include the parenthesis

(startapp "notepad" (findfile "Acad.pgp"))

2. This will open a file in Notepad. Go to the bottom of the file, where it says "; -- User Defined Command Aliases --"
Paste in the following line:
DDEDIT, *TEXTEDIT

3. Save the file.
4. Close AutoCAD.
5. Reopen AutoCAD.
6. Type in DDEDIT and make sure it works.
7. Now try the double-click edit method.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 27 of 45

The cuix files are the files which store all your settings and customisations. They control how your layout looks and what commands are triggered by your chosen buttons.

If you type CUI into the command line, you will see the customisation interface. You should be able to check what your double click does in there and alter it, however I am no kind of expert on the cui. Quite the reverse is true; I find it unintuitive in the extreme, but apparently most people find it easy to use.

I THINK that you select Double click actions in the panel in the top left  and drag commands onto it, however I find it works better if I leave it alone. If I double click on text I am getting the textedit automatically. That was how it installed. I solved my previous problem with a new buttonand a custom command that runs multiple automatically before textedit.  If I only want to do one bit of text, I just double click.

I only use single line text btw.

I did set CAD so that I get the text editor that comes up in a separate box,( instead of the in-situ editing which leaves the text too small to see what you are writing) but that's not done in the CUI.

That's done by setting DTEXTED variable to 1

Message 28 of 45

Thanks!!  Those both helped alot.  The only difference is I have to hit the enter key and extra time if I am editing mutlible items.  Is there a fix with TEXTEDIT for that?

Thanks again!

Message 29 of 45

I have a couple of toolbars for customised commands. I set up a button to run multiple followed by textedit when I click it.

CUI in the command line for the customisation user interface,

expand the panels n the customisation area (if they aren't already expanded).

right click where it says toolbars and select new toolbar and give it a name. (Or you can use an already existing toolbar)

Then in the bottom left panel click and drag a command (doesn't matter which as you're going to edit it anyway) from there and drop it onto your new toolbar in the top panel.

Click on the command once to open the edit panel on the right for that command.

I called my new button DDedit

so in the Name and the Command Name fields I typed DDedit.

Description, help file and command display name I left blank.

In the Macro field I have ^C^Cmultiple textedit

Then just give it an icon and click apply and OK.

You can probably do the same thing and add a button to the ribbon, but I don't use the ribbon at all, because most of the commands I use are either not on it or buried 3 clicks down and it's not worth the hassle of customising it when the old toolbars work better.

The new button will now automatically add the multiple command to the testedit command so you can edit multiple objects one after the other like we were able to before Autodesk changed it.

I hope this helps

Message 30 of 45
albionpjl
in reply to: albionpjl

PS I should add that I was following the helpful tips posted earlier in this thread whjen I made my custom button. Unfortunately the forum isn't alowing me to edit my previous post to add this so I've had to do it as a reply.

Message 31 of 45
pendean
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

•^C^C_TEXEDIT is another shorter way to write the above macro to repeat a command.
Message 32 of 45
Snvtc78

I have AutoCAD 2015 and have loaded the sp1.

Tried to create a lisp file to do the multiple textedit but can't get it to work.

Can someone look at my syntax and see my error? Thanks.

(defun c:edt () (command "multiple" "textedit"))

(princ)

(C:edt)

If .lsp won't work anymore, how do I create a macro or button to use *^C^C_textedit ?

I have not done this before.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
Message 33 of 45
pandydownunder
in reply to: rkmcswain

Guys,

A really simple solution that seems to have worked for me is to change the macro highlighted red in rkmcswain's picture above.

If you change the macro from ^C^C_textedit to ^C^C_multiple textedit then i get the old style functionality of DDEDIT in ACAD 2015.

No need for lisps, buttons or commands! Hope that helps!

Message 34 of 45
Snvtc78
in reply to: pandydownunder

I was able to get a work around with Pandydownunder's help.

I created the macro ^C^C_multiple textedit

The macro and button wouldn't work so I still haven't figured that out but, I dragged and dropped my macro into the shortcut key of my user.cui and applied the shift+E shortcut to the macro.

Now when I start AutoCAD and need to edit alot of single line text I just use shift+E and it works.

Now I'm on the hunt to figure out how to exit the command without using the Esc key.

A lot of commands in 2015 won't exit using enter enter twice so I think a lot of my lisp code is failing.

Thinking I'll have to break down and take a class on the net framework and get used to it.

Can't use lisp to run textedit so I'm sure there are other commands that'll see the same fate.

I didn't go into the steps for creating a shortcut key since there is so much information out there on that subject.

Thanks for the help everyone.

textedit_shortcut-key.jpg

Message 35 of 45
Jay_B
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

In Civil 3D 2015 I was having this same issue with trying to use ED for the old DDEDIT command (out of habit as I've used the OOTB Acad.pgp) for several years now.

In reading this it sounds like the 2015 Vanilla AutoCad pgp file works as expected in that it will utilize the TEXTEDIT command or TE as a replacement to the discontinued DDEDIT command.

So this got me thinking as I was reading this thread that there has to be something else happening here because as far as I know I was using the OOTB 2015 Acad.pgp and it turns out I am.

Here's what I think might be happening:

It appears as though the "Civil 3D" Acad.pgp may not be getting updated with new releases as the top of the OOTB 2015 Acad.pgp in the C3d folder heirarchy states:

"Program Parameters File For AutoCAD Map 2011
;  External Command and Command Alias Definitions

;  Copyright (C) 1997-2010 by Autodesk, Inc.  All Rights Reserved."

It appears as though the following location is where C3d 2015 is getting it's Acad.pgp:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\C3D\UserDataCache\Support\Acad.pgp (date modified 4/28/10 11:15am)

For C3D 2013 version it's also the same version of pgp file:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\UserDataCache\Support\Acad.pgp (date modified 4/28/10 11:15am)

Ditto for 2014 Civil 3d.

The the top of the OOTB 2015 AutoCad Acad.pgp states:

"Program Parameters File For Autodesk AutoCAD 2015
;  External Command and Command Alias Definitions

;  Copyright 2014 Autodesk, Inc.  All rights reserved."

File location:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\UserDataCache\Support\Acad.pgp

If someone who has C3d 2015 installed could verify this to confirm my findings or rule out anything possibly done wrong on our end I would appreciate it.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 36 of 45
albionpjl
in reply to: Jay_B

I have C3d 2015 but I don't know how to find that information for you. Where should I look to find out which file it is using?

Message 37 of 45
albionpjl

If it helps, I looked here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\UserDataCache\Support\  and there is no Acad.pgp file present at all.

there is one in here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\C3D\UserDataCache\Support\ which is the same date as yours.

Message 38 of 45
Jay_B

albionpjl wrote:

there is one in here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\C3D\UserDataCache\Support\ which is the same date as yours.

Thanks for checking this, it appears my findings are correct that Civil 3d is in fact using the same old Acad.pgp file and it's not being updated with new releases.

Can you do 2 more simple checks for me? (This assumes your using an edited Acad.pgp which was installed with 2015 C3d).

Try editing any piece of text by entering ED @ command line. Command doesn't work?

Type (findfile "acad.pgp") at the command line (acad will find the pgp file being used).

In windows explorer browse to above found file path.

Do you see the same 4/28/2010 11:15am version of acad.pgp here?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 39 of 45
albionpjl
in reply to: Jay_B

Findfile gives me this:

"C:\\users\\lightnj.albion\\appdata\\roaming\\autodesk\\c3d 2015\\enu\\support\\acad.pgp"

The pgp file there says date modified 28/04/2010

Typing ED gives me the message Unknown command "ED". Press F1 for help

I have no idea whether anything should have edited the pgp file since installation. I installed C3d 2015 sometime in May this year. I have some customisations to the Workspace (mainly custom toolbars and the ribbon turned off). My workaround for the original textedit no longer working correctly was to make a new button for text editing usig the multiple command first.

Message 40 of 45
Jay_B

albionpjl wrote:

The pgp file there says date modified 28/04/2010

Typing ED gives me the message Unknown command "ED". Press F1 for help

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help!

Date modified 28/04/2010 means the same as 4/28/2010 here, we just have different date preferences set in Windows.

Your Acad.pgp file is likely the exact same one, included with the installation, I've been using here.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost