Cut Hole in 3D Model

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ryancharrier
37597 Views, 6 Replies

Cut Hole in 3D Model

Hello:

I'm very new to AutoCAD. I am working with a cylindrical shape (solid) and I have revolved it around an axis, but I need to "cut" two holes through the part. How can I achieve this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: ryancharrier

Although I don't understand what is "revolved cylindrical shape (solid)", assuming that the resulting geometry is 3D Solid, you can create cylinders with diameter equal to diameter of holes you want to cut, and then subtract these cylinders from  "revolved cylindrical shape (solid)" with SUBTRACT command.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
ryancharrier
in reply to: maxim_k

I have attached a drawing with an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. I would like to cut two (2) holes, one inch (1") in diameter, exactly 180 degrees apart from eachother that will "remove" the material where the hole is cut.

I tried using the subtract command but could not get it to work. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Message 4 of 7
ryancharrier

File wouldn't attach, had to zip it. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thanks

Message 5 of 7
Patchy

Make a REGION out of the cross section, REVOLVE it, then draw a circle, Presspull or extrude thru the cylinder then subtract.

Message 6 of 7
mrkaplan
in reply to: Patchy

your original model is not solid . its usually best to work with solids in 3d , as patchy did . then you can either edit them or add / substract other solid volumes .

usually you get a non solid volume when the shape (polyline) you use for revolve or extrude is not closed .

Message 7 of 7
ar15dcm
in reply to: mrkaplan

This info was very useful to me as well.  But I would like to ask, what if the hole is at, lets say 5º angles ( a slight V shape)?  Just build the object and merge it then subtract?  Seems like it would be the same, I didnt know if the angles come into play or not.

Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost