Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom company profile reverting back to out of the box

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DRW_CAD
225 Views, 2 Replies

Custom company profile reverting back to out of the box

We are using Civil 3D 2014 but since this seems more of an AutoCAD related issue, I posted it here.

I create deployments that generate a custom icon on the users desktop and a custom arg file in the root program directory. The icon target has a simple switch to load the profile if it exists and if it does not, to generate it from the custom arg. once loaded, the user can tweak and if you delete it, the icon will recreate it from the arg.

What is happening is once the profile has been generated for a user, it seemingly randomly reverts back to an out of the box profile. This is only happening on 3 out of 50 workstations but I'm at a loss as to what could be causeing it.

I've been doing it this way for years and have never experienced this. The profile still exists within options by the same name that is specified with in the arg. You can delete it and recreate a correct custom profile by clicking the icon and letting it generate it from the arg but after a week or so, it will revert back to an out of the box profile with our custom company profile name.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: DRW_CAD

We use the same system and also get the same issue occasionally.

From what I have been able to find is, that the users that this happens to tend to open drawings from windows explorer by double clicking on the file. This does not seem to occur every time they do it, but this seems to be the only thing that certain users do, and I have personally seen it occur while testing to find the cause of the issue.

For some reason opening a drawing by double clicking the file in windows explorer seems to reset the current profile.

The workaround we use for this issue is to set another profile current and delete the company profile, close Civil 3d and then restart it from the desktop icon.

We have looked at setting all the paths, etc. in the start up files, acad.lsp, etc.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 3
DRW_CAD
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Thanks Andrew. I will enquire about how they are opening files.

Your fix of deleting the old profile & restarting CAD to get it to build a fresh one is also what we've been doing to resolve it also.

Back in the day, not double clicking files from explorer was my mantra as it did not make Land Desktop happy. But since C3D, I think people have gone back to doing that.

Odd thing is, we've been using C3D since V2008 and I've never seen this before.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost