Did you mean: 

Converting large .dwg to .stl or .iges

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cargent1
6606 Views, 6 Replies

Converting large .dwg to .stl or .iges

Hello, I am currently using Autodesk 2013 (Student Version). I have a pretty large .dwg file that I am looking to convert to .stl or .iges for 3D printing. I have attached the zip of the file. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: cargent1

What 3D printer do you have?

Is your printer capable of printing to very thin resolution? 

Your cylindrical features are very small for printing - I'll wager that your printer is not going to produce the results that you expect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
cargent1
in reply to: JDMather

We're going to 3D Print at a company using a PolyJet HD, with a layer thickness of 16 microns and a minimum feature size of around 304microns. The cylindrical features are small but based upon the specifications they should be able to be printed by this precise 3D printer. I just need to provide a .iges, .stl, step, or x_t form of the file.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

So you are going to end up with cylinders the diameter and height about the same as the thickness of 3 sheets of paper (and very close together).

Is that really what you want?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
cargent1

Yes, that is correct. We are looking at this as a fast way to produce a large track of micro-mm scale (tiny) pillars. We are studying the fluid flow through these pillars, so we do indeed want them to be that small.

Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

your cylinders are part of an array object, imho that can't be exported to STL, you have first to explode that array object, then union all together, then you can export the resultind 3D-solid as STL (it used some time to get the mass of cylinders unified, but it worked).

The resulting STL has 350MB, so I can't upload it here. But you can do the same steps and will get it working.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 7
justshutup

@Anonymous wrote:

So you are going to end up with cylinders the diameter and height about the same as the thickness of 3 sheets of paper (and very close together).

Is that really what you want?

I love it when people ask for help with a particular operation, and then "the helpers" critique their (in this case) dwg.  Twice, this time.  What happened to just answering their questions?  This place has too many experts for its own good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost