Valued Mentor
kevin.barnett
Message 1 of 10 (986 Views)
Accepted Solution

Converting fake DWG to Autodesk DWG - in terms of version 2013

986 Views, 9 Replies
07-02-2012 09:48 PM

Greetings,

What is the best practice for converting fake DWG to Autodesk DWG, taking AutoCAD version 2013 into account?

In this case the fake DWG only has model space data (has no paper space layouts)

Which one of these is best or is there another method?

Open the fake DWG in Acad. Set its units correctly. Save and Close it.

Start a new DWG based on your company template, use the INSERT command (with explode enabled) to import the fake DWG at 0,0, scale 1, rotation 0.

Save the new DWG.

Open the fake DWG in Acad. Set its units correctly.

Start a new DWG based on your company template.

Use the Clipboard to copy the objects from the fake DWG to the new DWG.

Save the new DWG.

Use DWG TrueView 2013 to create a new DWG from the fake DWG.

Thx..

Kevin.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (970 Views)

Re: Converting fake DWG to Autodesk DWG - in terms of version 2013

07-03-2012 05:44 AM in reply to: kevin.barnett

INSERT the drawing in your own template file that is preset for everything you desire, then SAVE.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 3 of 10 (967 Views)

07-03-2012 05:46 AM in reply to: pendean

... with the explode option on.

Distinguished Contributor
morrolan
Message 4 of 10 (952 Views)

07-03-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: kevin.barnett

Can you explain what you mean by a 'fake' DWG?  Are you referring to a dwg file created/edited by a non-autodesk product?  If so, does that drawing file conform to the OpenDWG standard published by the ODA?

Valued Mentor
kevin.barnett
Message 5 of 10 (924 Views)

07-03-2012 09:11 PM in reply to: dbroad

Follow up ... before accepting the solution as Exploded INSERT...

Can anyone explain WHY this is better than the other 2 options presented? In simple terms please.

Thx... Kevin.

Valued Mentor
kevin.barnett
Message 6 of 10 (923 Views)

07-03-2012 09:23 PM in reply to: morrolan

CAD Users will have a different opinion on this one, thats for sure. Most users would like to interpret DWG as a common CAD file format that could be used for exchange between CAD systems. I am going to stick my neck out (and probably get it chopped off), in my humble, almost meaningless, unqualified opinion in terms of the question asked in this post, DWG is a product of an Autodesk software application - including RealDWG (if it stil exists). Fake DWG is a DWG created by a non Autodesk software application or created without using the Autodesk RealDWG 'facility' - in AutoCAD terms -  a non-trusted DWG file is what I termed a 'fake' DWG. And .. u are correct I should stick to correct terminology, I deserve to be punished. I should not have used the word fake, I should have used: non-trusted.

I have been using AutoCAD since 1990. I always use Exploded INSERT in AutoCAD to 'clean' untrusted DWG. Just because I always have done it this way. Sometimes there are undocumented improvements, sometimes I dont read enough. So, I wondered if this is still the correct method in 2013 Acad. And ... why is it better than other methods?

Thanks for taking time to reply. These forums prove to be invaluable to users throughout the World.

Have a great day.

Kevin.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 10 (881 Views)

07-05-2012 10:36 AM in reply to: kevin.barnett

Your template file is already set up they way you want it: by INSERTing a file into your template, it inherits the content already in place (how autocad treats inserted objects). Basic AutoCAD 101 behaviour you need to take advantage of, instead of constantly editing and changing other files internally and never quite getting it all correct.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Product Support
Dan.Scales
Message 8 of 10 (877 Views)

07-05-2012 11:00 AM in reply to: kevin.barnett

Hi,

I would wblock the contents of the drawing into a new drawing and insert that into you company template.

When creating the wblock make sure that you use the "select objects" option rather than "Entire drawing" so you avoid inserting anything that is not visible or needed. This can help reduce bad data being copied to the new drawing.

Once you have inserted it into the template and exploded it I would purge the drawing and audit it (also use -PURGE to remove and regapps).

It would then be a good idea to ensure the entities in the drawing have the colors, linetype, etc set to ByLayer rather than being individually set. Also make sure the ltscale for all objects is set to something sensible.

Thanks,
Dan 

Dan Scales
Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 9 of 10 (850 Views)

07-08-2012 08:10 PM in reply to: Dan.Scales

Of course, all this only works with pure model space drawings. Layouts each need to have their contents imported individually.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 10 of 10 (820 Views)

07-10-2012 07:18 AM in reply to: Dan.Scales

I used to prefer just inserting the original drawing, easy, stable command, done.

The problem is that any and all styles (text, dimentions etc) will come with, even if not in use.  Thus copy/paste or wblock are a good solution, since they will only bring what is actually being used in the drawing.

Another problem we've had to deal with is blocks in the drawing with the same name as our blocks, but different definitions.  In that case as soon as you do any of the above methods, the blocks are defined as per your template when they land in there, and can look pretty crazy if it's the wrong block.  Here's what I use to get around that:

1. Make a drawing from your simple acad template, no styles, no blocks etc.

2. Copy/paste (or I guess use the wblock method) from wherever into this drawing

3. Make a new drawing from your company template, save as drawing1 or whatever on your desktop

4. Insert drawing1 into your drawing.

This way you will get all your styles and blocks from your template, but without overwriting any duplicated names.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube