Did you mean: 

Convert existing dimension units

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
1473 Views, 18 Replies

Convert existing dimension units

Hello,

I have a drawing from a contractor that is dimensioned in metric units. I have been tasked with converting the displayed units to inches for our machine shop. I have tried to display alternate units but they don't appear, yes, I did check the "display alternate units" box. I am using AutoCAD 2013.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach your drawing with those dimensions, you will get more precise answers.

Message 3 of 19
pendean

Describe in way more detail what all you did, you have to do more than just check a box in DIMSTYLE command. You also need to ensure you selected the correct Dimstyle. Then Update all the existing dimensions most likely afterwards.
OR
you can do the same in PROPERTIES command after selecting all the dimensions on screen. Use the ALTERNATE UNITS section of course.
Message 4 of 19
nestly2

Welcome to the Autodesk forums.

Perhaps the dimension text has been manually overriden?   If this is the case, it could make your job really easy by just removing the override, or it could indicate the drawing is not dimensionally correct and they used manual overides to to "fix" the problem with the model.

Attach the drawing if you need more assistance.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Ok so used "DIMSTYLE". clicked MODIFY, Alt Units tab, I checked "display alt. units", changed unit format to architectural, precision to 0'-1/8", muliplier for alt units set at .0393701.

I've also tried to use -dwgunits, selected 1. Inches, 4. Architectural. 3. 1/8" Precision, Yes, Scale inserted objects, Yes, match INSUNITS to drawing units, Yes, scale objects in current drawing to reflect change. 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Also I'm pretty sure it would be illiegal for me to attach the drawing otherwise I would have in my original post.

Message 7 of 19
pendean

Doesn't look like you updated all the existing dimensions afterwards to pick up the style changes.

What about the second option I posted to do what you want? It's not -DWGUNITS either.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

How do I update the dimensions after I change my alternate units settings?

Message 9 of 19
Patchy

If it's the right dimstyle, you don't have to do a thing.

Try this:

Click on your dimension, right click and choose SELECT SIMILAR, go to PROPERTIES and turn the ALT Enabled to ON.

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Ok so I clicked the Dimension and then "select similiar", then the power dimensioning ribbon appears above and from there I dropped down the Dim Text menu and changed my primary units to Architectural. That changed all the dimensions so thank you for that.

I have to do this to a few more drawings so I tested this method on another drawing and when I change the primary units some of the dimensions didn't change, including the one I originally selected before "select similar." Do you have any suggestions for that?

Message 11 of 19
Patchy

I don't use Mechanical to know Power Dimensioning.

I think if a dimension has been overriden in someway, you need to turn it back to a dimstyle that is available before you can do anything again.

Message 12 of 19
pendean

At the commandline type DIM1 , then UPDATE and select all the dimensions. If you are using something other than plain AutoCAD you might want to post in that forum instead.

I am still curious, why will you not try the PROPERTIES command option to do this?
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

I don't see the Alternate Units tab in PROPERTIES to try that option.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

Most of my dimensions are now in inches. Some of them are still displayed in millimeters after I updated them. Do you know why those dimensions did not update with the others?

Message 15 of 19
Patchy

Doesn't MATCHPROP work ?

Select the dimension that works and click on the rest.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

It does not. The dimensions that stayed in metric form were underlined (not sure if that is significant) and when I MATCHPROP them the underline goes away but the value remains the same.

Message 17 of 19
pendean

DDEDIT command and find out if it is a manual override.
Message 18 of 19
nestly2

If there is a text override, the Properties panel will display it at the bottom of the "Text" section.

Also, DIMREASSOC will reset the dimension text to it's actual value as defined by the Dimstyle

Message 19 of 19
drjohn

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see the Alternate Units tab in PROPERTIES to try that option.

In the DIMSTYLE dialog >Select style to change > MODIFY button > ALT UNITS tab

Regards,

DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost