AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
flemster911
Message 1 of 9 (184 Views)

Constant Attribute Height for Scaled Blocks in Paperspace

184 Views, 8 Replies
02-27-2013 01:27 PM

Greetings fellow AutoCAD minions...

I am at a loss! I've got a block that I want to scale in pspace, but I would like the attrib height to remain constant even at different scales. I have used annotative blocks in vports with much success, but I would like to do the same thing only in pspace.

Is this possible? :smileyfrustrated:

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 9 (180 Views)

Re: Constant Attribute Height for Scaled Blocks in Paperspace

02-27-2013 01:34 PM in reply to: flemster911

How about a Dynamic Block?

Contributor
flemster911
Message 3 of 9 (158 Views)

02-28-2013 04:18 AM in reply to: flemster911

Dynamic block is what I'm using presently, but it would be nice if the attrib acted the same way in pspace as it does in mspace. Right now, I insert the block at the VIEWBASE drawing view scale (say, 1:24), then I change the attrib height with a dynamic block scale action. It works, but I'd like for it to be automatic (annotative).

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 4 of 9 (149 Views)

02-28-2013 06:11 AM in reply to: flemster911

Blocks in layouts are typically inserted at 1:1, aren't they?

Is your entire block annotative or just the attribute?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
Contributor
flemster911
Message 5 of 9 (141 Views)

02-28-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: KateMorrical

This block has to be inserted 1:1 then scaled down based on the drawing view scale. I tried making the whole block annotative, then just the attrib, to no avail. I don't believe the annotative blocks behave the same way in pspace that they do in mspace. :smileymad:

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 6 of 9 (138 Views)

02-28-2013 08:11 AM in reply to: flemster911

flemster911 wrote:

This block has to be inserted 1:1 then scaled down based on the drawing view scale.

What kind of block needs to be scaled up or down in paper space?  The scale of the plotted paperspace should be 1:1. If you are trying to represent a graphical scale, it should be inserted into model space (at a scale of 1) within the limits of the viewport. The annotative portions of the scale block would blow up.

An elevation or section key inserted in paper space should be at 1:1.

Perhaps an example drawing would help us understand.

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 7 of 9 (128 Views)

02-28-2013 10:42 AM in reply to: dbroad

I'm guessing that this situation has been triggered by VIEWBASE -- 2D views of 3D objects that would ordinarily be in model space are now in layouts.

If you were inserting this block in model space, would the entire thing be annotative or just the text? And have you tried creating some "backwards" scales (i.e. 24:1) to see if those get the block to scale properly?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
Contributor
flemster911
Message 8 of 9 (114 Views)

03-01-2013 04:22 AM in reply to: flemster911

The block I have is a steel shape widget used on structural single-line "stick" dwgs. The block is drawn to scale then scaled down (in space) per the VIEWBASE drawing view scale. This keeps the widget proportional to the view. However, the attrib that's linked to the shape size then has to be scaled back up because the annotative feature doesn't work in pspace. It works, just not automatically like the annotative feature. I've attached it, see what you think.

PS: I have one that works great in mspace vports - just not space.

Glenn

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 9 of 9 (110 Views)

03-01-2013 04:58 AM in reply to: flemster911

I never liked viewbase for this reason.  I wished that it had been developed as a modelspace to modelspace only application.  It could easily have done everything necessary with xrefs.

Your block looks nice.  I would suggest creating a paperspace variant of it.  Instead of scaling the text up. scale everything else down.  All your actions are pretty much in place.  Just go the opposite way with them.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube