Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change dimension of sketches in paper space

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
391 Views, 9 Replies

Change dimension of sketches in paper space

Hi,

I'm trying to insert a sketch into my drawing in paperspace to illustrate something, but the scale is totally off from my model. E.g. 1 unit of my sketch is about 30mm speaking in my models dimensions. How can I synchronise these different scales?

Thank you in advance,

Max

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: 19112033

Hi,

draw a line with the correct length and position that corresponds to a line in the imported object. Then start command _SCALE with option _REFERENCE or command _ALIGN.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

thank you for your response.

The problem is, that I don't have any corresponding lines, it's basically a free floating sketch, only fixed at one point on a model reference.

So I'm unable to create a sketch with the right dimensions in the first place, e.g. when I want to draw a line with a length of 10mm from a specific point of the model. Is there another way to do this? 

Thanks in advance,

Max

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> that I don't have any corresponding lines

But at least you'll have some points in your model that are at known dimensions, so you can use the startpoint and endpoint of your line to the corresponding points.

If there are not such points ... where do you see then the size of the model (at least that is is wrong).

>> then I want to draw a line with a length of 10mm from a specific point of the model. Is there another way to do this?

I think I don't understand that. I would start the line command, show the first point (with object snap, if you want to have that on your sketch) then place the cursor to the right or up or to the direction you want to have the line drawn and type into the keyboard 10<ENTER>. Then you have a line, starting where you clicked, 10 in length and the direction given by the cursor position.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 10

Attached you can find example of my problem. I typed in the number "1.5" when I created the line. Obviously the line is way longer than the part of the model with the dimension "16". But I don't know why that is. 

Thanks,

Max

Message 6 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I typed in the number "1.5"

Did you dimension an object that is in modelspace and drawed a line in paperspace? Then this would be understandable.

Can you upload the DWG instead of a very small screenshot that makes that not clear enough?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Indeed, I dimensioned a model from modelspace and have drawn a line in paperspace. 

I would rather not upload the file here, but I could send it to you via E-mail or ftp if you need it. 

Thank you,

Max

Message 8 of 10
pendean

You mentioned 1unit = 30mm so obviously you know how to fix it with simple arithmetic and the SCALE command in AutoCAD. Help is understand what's your exact challenge then.
Message 9 of 10

The problem is, that this method is not accurate, as it seems that this proportion is somehow non-linear. E.g. when 1 unit is 30mm, 2 units are ruffly 38mm. There is no way I can convert between these units accuretely. Besides that, I need the dimensions of my sketches in the exact same unit as the models dimensions.

Message 10 of 10
nestly2

I believe SCALE > {R]eference is the correct procedure, as Alfred suggested.

Here's a tutorial.  It's few years old so the AutoCAD interface may look different than what you're using, but the concept and procedures are still applicable.  It appears you already have the image insertec, so skip straight to Step #3  --> http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/scaling-images.php

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost