Cannot COPY/PAST text into command line

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
pob.drafting
5699 Views, 23 Replies

Cannot COPY/PAST text into command line

I am using AutoCad 2014

I want to paste text (numbers) into the command line as I am drawing a line.

In AutoCad 2011/2012 if I paste (CTRL+V), then the numbers in the clipboard will be pasted into the command line and all I have to do is push enter.

In AutoCad 2014 if I paste (CTRL+V), AutoCad will paste the clipboard contents as an mtext object into the drawing.

How do I change the behavior of AutoCad so that I can use "CTRL+V" in the command line?

----------------------------------

For clarification these are the exact steps I am trying to do:

1. {type L}

2. {click a point in the drawing}
3. {type CTRL+V} // paste a number as a distance into command line
4. {type ENTER}  

---------------------------

EDIT: Before anyone suggests it... I know I  can right click the command line and select paste. This option is unnacceptable for my use. I want to be able to CTRL+V text into the command line.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: pob.drafting

Acceptable or not, the reality is you must make the commandline active first by clicking on it then Crrl+V.
Otherwise tour drawing window is always active and you get MTEXT: you are using a drafting program, not a word processor, so the drawing area is always active unless you the user changes it.
Message 3 of 24
steve216586

Check out this link for code to do what you are asking. In essence if the clipboard contains drawing data, let the PASTECLIP command have at it. If it contains text, send it to the command-line. I hope this helps.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2012/12/hooking-into-autocad-copy-pas...

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 24
pob.drafting
in reply to: pendean

Using your suggested advice I am able to CTRL+V into the command line but it still doesnt do what I want it to do. 

I want it to work like it does in AutoCad 2011.... that is when it is asking for input (ex. when it shows the dynamic input box) -- I should be able to CTRL + V the input. CAD2011 allowed this but it no longer works that way in 2014. Surely, there must be a setting that can be changed to get back this functionality. 

Maybe I should rephrase my question:

How can I paste into the dynamic input box like in CAD2011?

Message 5 of 24
steve216586

Now that makes a huge difference. Did you have a macro which activated the Dynamic input and executed the ctrl-v which was tied to the command "ctrl-v" as typed in the command line, in the CUI? (Your first post stated you typed ctrl-v and not hit the buttons.)

Something like:

c^c^F12;ctrl=v; - assigned in CUI to [CTRL+V]

After initiating the command LINE this macro will place a number into the dynamic input box for the "X" value. An ENTER will end it. Something similar would also add a "Y" value but the macro would have to change.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 24
pob.drafting
in reply to: steve216586

No there was no macro. Let me see if I can give you a better example....

If I type OFFSET, in the model window I get the cursor with the dynamic input. At this point I used to be able to paste in a number. However, in CAD2014, if I try pasting(using ctrl+V) a number, it instead tries to get me to paste an mtext object instead. In cad2011 I could paste(using ctrl+V) the number and continue using the offset tool.

The dynamic input was just for illustration. When I have the dynamic input turned off in autocad 2011... I could still paste the numbers but it would go to the command line instead. No macros... just the basic windows paste function.

Message 7 of 24
maxim_k

Hi,

Try this (dynamic input should be ON of course):

Start LINE command

pick start point,

hit Backspace key,

than use Ctrl+V

- text from clipboard pasted to Dynamic input box

than hit Enter to continue.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 8 of 24
pob.drafting
in reply to: maxim_k

@maxim_k

WOW, that actually works. This is exactly what I was looking for.  It is kind of wierd you have to press backspace now, but it's better than typing each number.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 24
pendean

Now that we know what you actually meant LOL
Message 10 of 24
dan.sandy
in reply to: maxim_k

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, however, I don't use Dynamic input.  Is there a way to paste the data to the command line without having to click in the command line, or use the dynamic input?

I don't use dynamic input because I have found that I type the commands faster than it can register what's being typed... so it ends up missing letters and initiating different commands.  For instance, if I want to use the copy command, I quickly type "CO" to initiate the command, but it will only register the "C" so then instead of the intended copy command, I end up drawing circles....  Needless to say, I'm losing my mind with this! 

Is there a variable that will allow me to place any data using Ctrl-V to the command line by default, without having to actually move my cursor to the command line?  I don't want my clipboad data to be pasted as mtext... PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 11 of 24
pendean
in reply to: dan.sandy

You have to click on the commandline first.
Message 12 of 24
dan.sandy

I understand that you now have to click on the command line first, but
that's what I'm trying to avoid!

In AutoCAD 2012 and earlier, the data would instantly populate the
command line without having to do more then hit Ctrl-v...

The problem is that i often have to copy/paste data every few seconds, and
having to move my cursor away from my drafting space is greatly affecting
my drafting time!

The only solution I've seen online is to use Dynamic Inputs, and then hit
backspace before i hit Ctrl-v.

The issue with that is that I type commands faster than Dynamic Input
recognizes them. For example, if i type "co" for the copy command, the
Dynamic Input box only catches the "c", and i end up drawing circles.

In future versions of AutoCAD, PLEASE add a variable that allowed the user
to choose how PASTECLIP deals with clipboard data!

Example for new PASTECLIP variables (when using Ctrl-v):

0 - functions how you currently have it set up

1 - Ascii text populates the command line, while actual CAD entities
(blocks & OLE objects...) are pasted into the drafting space

I can't express the frustration this stupid copy/paste issue is causing me!

Thanks,
Dan
Message 13 of 24
pendean

You're preaching to fellow end users: Autodesk looks for feedback through the "contact us" links here and in your subscription login site as we as at AUGI.com through their wishlist.
Message 14 of 24
dan.sandy

Thanks for the info, I'll have to send that message over to them...
Message 15 of 24
smr
Contributor

Hi @dan.sandy

sorry to bring up an old post but did you ever find a solution for this problem

currently wanting to copy command line text from excel and paste into Autocad to execute, but not liking having to click into the command line first

Message 16 of 24
dan.sandy
in reply to: smr

Sadly I had to get used to having to hover my mouse over the command line
when pasting from other programs. It's much less convenient, but it works
well enough.
Message 17 of 24

Any One have any Solution related to this post.

Message 18 of 24
cadffm

Except the workaround above? [backspace or switching forward&back between by  2x tab ]

No., the program reaction changed in 2014 and it is what it is.

Offer it AutoDESK your idea (you and other users want it back, me too),

Adesk say: ProductFeedback welcome

- Sebastian -
Message 19 of 24

I know this post is a little old but in case someone else comes along and is looking for a solution to this, I have one.   YES, you can hit backspace and then CTRL+V, OR, you can skip the backspace step and simply press SHIFT+CTRL+V to achieve the same result.  Only this way doesn't require moving your left hand from your homerow to do so. 

Edit, I'm in 2020 currently and it seems to be a little buggy as far as if it wants to work right or not.  I've gotten it to work instantly and other times, I had to repeat the command or hit backspace to initiate the paste.  Regardless, it's more information than we had previously. 

Message 20 of 24

@christopher_griffin_topo wrote:

.... press SHIFT+CTRL+V ...

By default, that gets you PASTEBLOCK, which doesn't do what's being discussed here.  Do you have something altered in your setup?

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost