Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select objects on a specific layer.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
12097 Views, 6 Replies

Can't select objects on a specific layer.

Hello,

I am working on a .dwg file in AutoCAD 2013 , and on one specific layer (defpoints), I am not able to select any of the objects. Initially, I thought that the layer may have been locked or frozen, but it is not. Additionally, I went ahead and locked then unlocked the layer as well as froze then thawed the layer, still not able to select any objects on the layer. My next attempt to fix the problem was to run the command "AUDIT", and instructed to "Yes" fix any errors detected. The command seemed to execute correctly, however, it did not do anything. The objects on the layer still cannot be selected.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? Any ideas? Please let me know if there is any additional information I need to include so that someone can help me resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Make sure layer "0" is turned on.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Wow, thank you tseely for the quick and accurate reply. That seemed to do the trick! Out of curiousity, waht is the reason that layer 0 needed to be turned on? I don't beleived this needed to be done on other drawings I have been working on, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks again!

Matt

Message 4 of 7
rkmcswain

...and then don't use layer "defpoints" any more.  Smiley Wink

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TP00113

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TP00095

It's tied to layer 0, just don't use it, Make your own "no-plot" layer.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 7
jhollsteinGFF85

Had this same problem in Civil 3D 2021 but it was solved by locking and unlocking the layer. 

Message 6 of 7
TomBeauford

Read the links posted by rkmcswain!

Layer defpoints is a special layer required for dimension nodes (the dimensions themselves don't belong on that layer either) and should never be used by any of us! 

Layer 0 should only be used for block creation and those block entities are generally set ByBlock.

Everything else belongs on other layers generally set ByLayer so their properties can be managed with the Layer Manager.

Following a few simple rules helps avoid a lot of issues later on that generate so many of these posts.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 7 of 7
TomBeauford
in reply to: pengaentu41

PROPOBJLIMIT Limits the number of objects that can be changed at one time with the Properties and Quick Properties palettes.  Initial value: 25000 Has yours been changed?

RIBBONCONTEXTSELLIM Limits the number of objects that can be changed at one time with the ribbon property controls or a contextual tab.  Initial value: 2500 Has yours been changed?

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost