AutoCAD 2015 - CTRL+V is pasting as a block

51 REPLIES 51
SOLVED
Message 1 of 52
rebeccans88
23996 Views, 51 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 - CTRL+V is pasting as a block

Hi, 

I am working on AutoCAD 2015, I have always used the CTRL+V and CTRL+C commands for copy/paste and I have never had this problem.

When I copy using CTRL+C and paste using CTRL+V, it automatically pastes as a block, even if I copy a simple line, it will past it as a block... if I use the command CO for copy then this doesn't happen, it actually pastes normally. Now this would all be ok, I would simply use CO when I need to, but the thing is, that I do a lot of copy pasting from other files and from model to layout and I find it much easier to use the keyboard commands thus I would like to fix this. I have also tried audit, purge and Wblock and none of them worked.

When I open a new file this isn't a problem and if I try to use this file on another autocad-another computer I get the same problem so I presume that the problem is in the file itself. 

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: CTRL+V is pasting as a block ]

Tags (1)
51 REPLIES 51
Message 2 of 52
rkmcswain
in reply to: rebeccans88

Sounds like the same problem described here:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?156540-COPY-PASTE

Since you suspect it is drawing related, can you post the drawing here?

Also, you might try this:
1. Open Windows Explorer to your %temp% directory, and sort by date, newest at the top.
2. Go back to AutoCAD and perform a Ctrl+C
3. Now look in your Explorer window, there will be a new DWG file at the top (the newest file). It will have a name like "A$C6D13447A.dwg"
4. Open this drawing, it will contain the entities you just copied. It is a block here, or is it separate entities here?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 52
rebeccans88
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi, 

I've traied to do the temp thingy and when I open the file it's not a block it's a single entity...

Here is the file, I have deleted all my work since it's a file from my office but the problem is still there so here it is....

Thank you for the reply btw. 🙂

Message 4 of 52
rkmcswain

It works normal here in 2015.

Take a look at your command line when using Ctrl+V. What command is reflected in the command line output.

Mine looks like this. The first time I used Ctrl+V, and the second time I used Ctrl+Shift+V (to force it to paste as a block)

Command:
Command:
Command: _pasteclip
"PASTECLIP" Specify insertion point:
Command:
Command:
Command: _pasteblock
"PASTEBLOCK" Specify insertion point:
Command:

Also, if you paste in the entities using another method such as the commands in the Ribbon, or pull down menus, does it work that way?

Message 5 of 52
rebeccans88
in reply to: rkmcswain

Command: _copyclip 1 found
Command:
Command:
Command: _pasteclip Duplicate definition of block _DotSmall ignored.
Substituting [simplex.shx] for [FANCY.shx].
Specify insertion point:

This is my command line....

Message 6 of 52
pendean

Are you sure you are not copyclip-ing a block to start with? I'm not able to replciate the issue in plain AutoCAD 2015 either.
Message 7 of 52
rkmcswain
in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:
Are you sure you are not copyclip-ing a block to start with?
rebeccans88 wrote
it automatically pastes as a block, even if I copy a simple line

Message 8 of 52
pendean

Read the commandline shared: it refers to a block being pasted: if that shows up when pasting just a line too then you've got a big mess on your hands.

Reset AutoCAD or post a file if you think that's the problem.
Message 9 of 52
rebeccans88
in reply to: pendean

Hi, 

Yeah it's always saying that, even when I past a line... it turns out a block. 

I have posted a file already but here it is again. 

Message 10 of 52
micheljubin

I had the same problem.

After checking the dialog box, I found that everytime I tried to pasteclip something, Autocad tied to locate a lot of shx files and couldn't. Somehow, these two things are related.

I export the file to Autocad (EXPORTTOAUTOCAD) and that seems to solve the problem with the pasteclip, as all the missing shx files were removed.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Message 11 of 52
wispoxy

I see no problem with the sample. You probably have a single little check box selected somewhere in your settings.

I'll look for the setting until it triggers.

Message 12 of 52
C3D_TomR
in reply to: wispoxy

I'm having the same issue. It only affects pasting into certain drawings so maybe it's a sysvar specific to those drawings.

Tom Richardson

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 52
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: C3D_TomR

Hi,

>> I'm having the same issue. It only affects pasting into certain drawings

>> so maybe it's a sysvar specific to those drawings.

Can you upload such a drawing so we can see if it is really drawing specific or just "drawing specific on your system"?

And are you having that issue with AutoCAD, or Civil 3D .. and which version / service pack?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 14 of 52
loggyboy

Ive also started experiencing this issue.

As of last week ctrl V would just paste normally, it now pastes as block.

Ive made no system changes or similar i'm aware of.

Autocad LT2016

Message 15 of 52
john.vellek
in reply to: loggyboy

Hi loggyboy,

This looks like the thread started a long time ago and I don't see that any of the posts were marked as a solution. So, let's tackle the problem and see if we can't resolve the problem for you and others!

Please tell me if this is happening in only specific drawings or if you open any drawings (even a new empty one). If it happens in all drawings, try logging into your workstation as a new user with full administrative permissions and see if you can duplicate the error.

Next, verify that your OS is fully up to date and that your AutoCAD LT is also current.

Please post your results.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 16 of 52
john.vellek

Hi loggyboy

I was hoping to see an update on your post this morning. 

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 17 of 52
loggyboy
in reply to: john.vellek

I've done some further investigation and it only happens on some drawings.

• Copying from the 'fault' drawing to a new drawing pastes normally.
  • Copying from a new drawing to the 'fault' drawing still creates a block.
  • It happens in paper and model space.
  • copying a block creates a new block within the copied block within it.
  • drawings are purged and audited.
  • OS and AC is all up-to-date.

Message 18 of 52
romain.layet

Hello, 

I have the same problem here, it occurs only with one drawing, if I draw a line and make a copy paste of it, it will become a block named by Autocad.

I am working on Autocad 2016 LT and I know that my OS is about to change from Win 2007 to 2010 but I declined one time this upgrade. 

But this problem does not appear on others drawing. It seems that appeared after I used several times in the ribbon "Paste as block" maybe it's just a coincidence.

Thank you for your support.

Message 19 of 52
john.vellek

Try clearing out your TEMP folder inside your Windows user profile and then perform a Reset Setting to Default. Let's see if that improves the situation.

If this is only happening on certain drawings, what is unique about them? Are they are all the same drawing version?

John Vellek

Message 20 of 52
loggyboy

Ive now linked this to Xrefs.

Removing and reinserting seemed to fix.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost