AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
omorah
Message 1 of 10 (683 Views)

COPIED AND PASTED OBJECT IS PASTED AS PRINT-SCREEN (SOMETIMES)

683 Views, 9 Replies
12-11-2012 03:36 PM

Sometimes, when I copy an set of objects and paste it (usually into another session of AutoCAD),
the pasted entity becomes an image (like print-screen).  Whey so and what caused that?

Valued Contributor
bjornhgr
Message 2 of 10 (671 Views)

Re: COPIED AND PASTED OBJECT IS PASTED AS PRINT-SCREEN (SOMETIMES)

12-11-2012 10:56 PM in reply to: omorah

Have you tried "copy with base point" when this happens? I have never experienced this myself, but perhaps it helps using a command that is not also a regular windows command...?

Regards

bMan

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 10 (664 Views)

12-12-2012 06:11 AM in reply to: omorah

An image? do you mean like a block perhaps?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
omorah
Message 4 of 10 (643 Views)

12-13-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: pendean

No.

It usually happens when I copy object(s) from one session of AutoCAD to another session.  It does not happen often, very seldom.  Let me explain more.

In one AutoCAD, I have, say a text or any object which I don't want to repeat in another file, so I use the AutoCAD's command "Copy", "Window" (to select the object(s) I need, then in the other opened file, I use AutoCAD's "Paste" command.  What I would see in the paste  area would be like coping from Microsoft Word into AutoCAD - I rectangular image of the work area with the supposed copied object(s) showing in the white copied image.  So, copying with base point or otherwise does not make any difference.

Mentor
rapidcad
Message 5 of 10 (634 Views)

12-13-2012 10:32 AM in reply to: omorah

Admittedly, I do not use the ribbons much, so I might be misunderstanding something, but I've never had an issue going from drawing to drawing in the same session of AutoCAD with ctl+c and ctl+v for copyclip to pasteclip. Additionally, copybase works perfectly this way too. I can also do this with two independent sessions of AutoCAD, as long as they are the same version. I did run into issues trying to go from one version to another. Usually an object will paste in as it came out of AutoCAD. Objects from other programs will even sometimes work, like text from a Word doc.

Ronald A. Powell
CAD Developer/Operator
TGW Systems Inc.
Spring Lake, MI
omorah
Message 6 of 10 (629 Views)

12-13-2012 10:52 AM in reply to: rapidcad

I must admit, I don't use the Ribbon.  I have been  very comfortable with my customized toolbars.  I only use the Ribbon when creating or editig Dynamic Blocks.

As I mentioned, it does not hapeen often.  I brought this up becasue one of my bosses experienced the same issue last week on one of his drawing.

If you could please do this to show you what I meant.  In Word, type is two or three word, highlight them all, and copy into clipbord.  Go to an opened AutoCAD workspace and past the (Word's copied text) into AutoCAD.  After closing the active windows "OLE Text Size", what is left in your workspace is what am referring to - the copied text in a white rectagular box.

Mentor
rapidcad
Message 7 of 10 (625 Views)

12-13-2012 11:06 AM in reply to: omorah

That's not what you were talking about in your original post. However, what you are now referring to has been the case for some time now. You can still paste from a Word doc into AutoCAD, just start a new MTEXT object, put your cursor down within it and ctl+v. This will paste the text including the formatting into your drawing. What you are doing is copying the text characters and formatting to the clipboard. This will also have issues going to different kinds of programs (excepting the Microsoft Office Suite) because the expected data type is for the formatting of Office.

We used to save our sheetnote paragraphs as .txt files and drag them into AutoCAD - it converts them into MTEXT on the fly. It still works too.

Ronald A. Powell
CAD Developer/Operator
TGW Systems Inc.
Spring Lake, MI
omorah
Message 8 of 10 (594 Views)

12-19-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: omorah

It just happened again.

On the left is AutoCAD 2011 from where I am coping the object in the cloud to AutoCAD 2013 on the right.  This time I used the AutoCAD's 'COPY' from the 'EDIT' menu to copy from 2011 and pasted with AutoCAD's 'PASTE' from the 'EDIT' menu into AutoCAD 2013 on the right.

The white box is supposed to be the image but gave an error with the 'OLE Text Size' box.

Just being curious, I copied from 2013 to 2013, same issue.  Also, it does not happen all the time.

bjornhgr

Just tried it, "Copy with basepoint" does the same.

pendean

Yes, an image.

Please see attached file for a print screen of the result.

Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 10 (568 Views)

12-20-2012 05:54 AM in reply to: omorah

Why are you copy/clipping between R2011 and R2013? Why not just open both files in 2013 and do it.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
rapidcad
Message 10 of 10 (561 Views)

12-20-2012 06:17 AM in reply to: omorah

Just to clarify, in AutoCAD 2013, is this still an issue when you open two drawings within one session of AutoCAD (using AutoCAD with SDI set to 0)?

It sounds almost like some kind of confusion between pasteclip and pastespec (paste special). However, if your screenshot tells me anything, I can see the command prompt shows that you used pasteclip to insert what turned out to be an OLE instead of an AutoCAD entity.

Maybe read up on OLE, and paste special. The only other thing I that can come up with might be to check your settings for save-as. Maybe your options have you saving to an old version format or something like that, but I doubt that it would cause this behavior.

If all the above fails, check if you have object enabler issues and the latest service pack and hotfixes that apply to you applied. If all that fails, Reinstall? I hate to say that, but I would wonder how to fix this.

Ronald A. Powell
CAD Developer/Operator
TGW Systems Inc.
Spring Lake, MI

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube