AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

timjr
Message 1 of 9 (510 Views)
Accepted Solution

CAD freezes on "Loading" on splash ONLY when opening from DWG file

510 Views, 8 Replies
01-03-2013 09:33 AM

Hi all!

So my other designer is having issues getting his ACAD to open directly from a DWG file. He can open just fine using hydracad, or autocad, or acad mechanical, and open the file once inside. The problem only arises while opening straight from the DWG file on our server (or his hard drive itself, doesnt matter the location). Any DWG file for that matter. Myself and another designer are able to open them all just fine, and have no issues. We are all running with the exact same settings of startup (1), and all have the same computer specs.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU    E5502 @ 1.87GHz   1.86GHz (2 Processors)

8gig ram

64 bit operating system.

Nvidia Quadro NVS 290

and a couple 250 gig Hard drives.

We tried running a repair and it didn't do anything. Not sure what the issue could be. I've done all kinds of searches for this problem, and tried performing quite a few of them for him (even though none of the titles indicated they were having troubles opening just with DWGs, as most were having freezes on the splash screen just opening the .exe).

Really appreciate any help. Thanks,

Tim

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 9 (507 Views)

Re: CAD freezes on "Loading" on splash ONLY when opening from DWG file

01-03-2013 09:38 AM in reply to: timjr

Hi,

if you look to the taskmanager: does any process use time at this state?

How long did you wait that AutoCAD continues to start?

If you first copy this drawing to the local drive and double-click it there, what happens?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
timjr
Message 3 of 9 (498 Views)

Hi Alfred, It doesn't matter where the file is located....

01-03-2013 09:55 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

It doesn't matter where the file is located. We have files on our local disks and on a joint server. I can pull it straight to his desktop, his C drive, anywhere and it still freezes. 

We have left it up for 45+ minutes and nothing. Still just stays frozen. You have to close the program down through the task manager or clicking a bunch of times to allow windows to tell you it stopped working, and close it that way.

I've attached a process explorer shot of what is running during the time. As you can see it looks as if its trying to load various windows with the white boxes in the corners.

Edit: Looks as if its trying to load various toolbars that is.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 9 (481 Views)

Re: Hi Alfred, It doesn't matter where the file is located....

01-03-2013 11:21 AM in reply to: timjr

Hi,

>> It doesn't matter where the file is located

So can you try to login to this workstation with another Windows-account (admin-permission would be better for testing) and start AutoCAD?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
timjr
Message 5 of 9 (474 Views)

01-03-2013 12:07 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

This way was able to open it. I logged onto my account (which i believe has admin capabilities of these three computers), and it was like opening CAD for the first time. But I was able to open the DWG directly off the server or C Drive.

Is this something to do with his user settings? As in, something for my IT guy to look at? Hopefully its an easy fix that i can do. Thanks,

Tim

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 9 (470 Views)

01-03-2013 12:13 PM in reply to: timjr

Hi,

>> Is this something to do with his user settings?

It depends now if you had admin-permissions during this test.

You can now try:

• a) give the user account with the problem admin-permissions, at least for a test period and retry to start AutoCAD
  • b) in the Windows start menu ==> Autodesk ==> AutoCAD 2013 you'll find an option for resetting the AutoCAD-profile (make sure to first backup the user-directory/to backup the customizations if there were done any)

2013-01-03 21-10-46.png

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
timjr
Message 7 of 9 (466 Views)

01-03-2013 12:19 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I will try this in the afternoon. I appreciate your time, will get back to you asap on this! Thanks,

Tim

timjr
Message 8 of 9 (423 Views)

01-07-2013 07:16 AM in reply to: timjr

Very much a delayed response, however we got it working on Friday. I reset the preferences as you said Alfred, and AutoCAD was able to open. It was detached again from HydraCAD, which we realized what was the issue. We uninstalled, and reinstalled it, and it appears to be working properly now. I appreciate your help Alfred in finding the solution!

Tim

Active Contributor
jean.renaud.grimard
Message 9 of 9 (148 Views)

02-21-2014 07:50 AM in reply to: timjr

Hi,

I had some similar issues but AutoCAD was hanging just when opening files on the Network.  For files on C drive, everything was fine.

I've discovered that forcing a "Working directory" was correcting the issue.  I had to change the Windows Registry settings, so double-click on a file will start a batch file.  The registry setting was changed from :

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx\AcLauncher.exe" /O %1

.. to ..

"C:\foobar\aclauncher.bat" "%1"

Then, the batch file (aclauncher.bat) goes as follow :

c:
start /B "" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx\AcLauncher.exe" /O %1

I made some tests.  If i change the working directory to some network drive (like "J") at the beginning of the batch file, AutoCAD freeze.  But if i change it to C: everything goes fine.

I didn't told where i made the change in the registry, nor i tested the "different user" methid to see if this is a user issue.  But in my case, it seems that AutoCAD do not like the working directory.

If somebody wants to know where to hack the Windows Registry, i can tell, but the Registry is a dangerous place if we do not know how to hack it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube