AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
JF_005
Message 1 of 9 (1,629 Views)

Bug: Ribbon does not respond when pressing Escape key at Command Line

1629 Views, 8 Replies
05-15-2012 10:40 AM

To reproduce this bug, you must set the Command Line in the new semi-transparent style as featured in AutoCAD 2013. If it's docked in old-fashion like previous AutoCAD versions, the bug won't work.

When there's no command active, you have the following Command Line with the text "Type a command":
CommandLine-1.PNG

If you press the Escape key to cancel (weither you're in a command or not), AutoCAD focus on the command line with a bar sign and the transparent background turns white:
CommandLine-2.PNG

Now if you move the crosshair with your mouse in the drawing area, the Command Line bar sign will revert back to the "Type a command" text, which is fine.

But if the mouse cursor hovers the Ribbon region and you press the escape key, and then you click a Ribbon button, instead of executing the button's command/macro, the Command Line will simply revert to the "Type a command" text. So in the Ribbon area, if you want a Ribbon button to work, you must not have the bar sign in the Command Line. This gets annoying when you often have the habit of pressing escape while in a command and having the mouse ready to chose another command in the Ribbon.

My guess is that the new Command Line format in 2013 may have focus priority issues with other AutoCAD pallettes like the Ribbon. In AutoCAD 2012, the Command Line did not have a friendly "Type a command" message. So it probably has to do with this new implementation when AutoCAD decides when you have the "Type a command" text or the sign bar.

Has anybody encountered this or have a solution? (except the solution of not using the Command Line :smileyindifferent:)

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 2 of 9 (1,623 Views)

Re: Bug: Ribbon does not respond when pressing Escape key at Command Line

05-15-2012 11:33 AM in reply to: JF_005

It certainly seems like a focus issue. It's behaves the same way with the SSM palette too.

jon.eggar
Message 3 of 9 (1,589 Views)

05-17-2012 01:37 AM in reply to: JF_005

Thanks JF005,

you've solved a really irritating conundrum I was pulling my hair out over. I've now embedded the command line and no more multiple clicks to get a new command to work.

Cheers.

Active Contributor
JF_005
Message 4 of 9 (1,580 Views)

05-17-2012 04:33 AM in reply to: jon.eggar

I'm glad this helped you jon :smileyhappy:

Still it's kind of ironic that we cannot somehow benefit of some of the new user interface features in 2013 because these features are not funtioning properly in all situations.

I really liked the new Command Line and the how it gave extra drawing area to compensate for the Ribbon area. But until Autodesk fix this I keep the Command Line embedded too. :smileyfrustrated:

jon.eggar
Message 5 of 9 (1,577 Views)

05-17-2012 04:42 AM in reply to: JF_005

To be honest, I'm now at an age where I'd just like the equilibrium to be maintained for a release or two. All the new 'tweaks' seem a bit 'fluffy'. I tend to spend the first few weeks working out how to turn most ofl the damned stuff off.

I'm sure I'm missing huge leaps in productivity (?), but these issues are compounded when they don't actually work in the first place.

Thanks again tho'! :smileyhappy:

jamesee
Message 6 of 9 (1,545 Views)

05-24-2012 11:56 AM in reply to: JF_005

I had the same problem. Thanks for the solution (docking the command line). That solves the issue.

Autodesk feels they need to release a new version every year to keep the cash coming in; however, it takes until SP1 or SP2 until the release is somewhat stable...and even then bugs still remain and never get corrected. Autodesk has too many products to be releasing a new version every year. They need to cut back to once every three years and do proper beta testing before public releases.

Active Contributor
JF_005
Message 7 of 9 (1,532 Views)

05-24-2012 05:31 PM in reply to: jamesee

I totally agree with you. Autodesk should not release a new version unless there's really some important improvements (that work well I mean). I understand that when Microsoft releases new .NET Frameworks, this give really good potential to upgrade software features and graphic user interface. But these feature should be fully functionnal and tested or have just minor issues. Having to dock the Commad Line to click in the Ribbon after Escape key is in my opinion a major issue. It renders the new 2013 Command Line useless depending on how you use the software.

Each year, I'm always impressed when I read about the new improvements for the next release to come up in 2-3 months. Then I install the next AutoCAD four months later and when I try most of these features my way, there's always some issues that deceives me.

A colleague at the office told me: "Stop using the command Line. Use Dynamic Input instead. It's much more versatile." Well I never usde the Dynamic Input since Acad2009 because here too I have a major bug that has never been fixed up to 2013 included. I use Right-Click as "Enter" (for 80% of my drawings, I have to place piping/fitting blocks at default scale without using command options, so having a right-click "Enter" while taping commands and moving the mouse is really time saver for me). The problem with Dynamic Input and a right-click "Enter" configuration is that if you right-click while your left-hand finger is still pressed on the last character key of your command input, AutoCAD won't recognize that input. Ex: Pressing quickly "DI" (Distance) and right-clicking "Enter" while the "I" is still pressed will give the Dynamic command input "D" (Dimension Style). Tthis is probably another example of focus priority between different input styles. So "no" I can't use the Dynamic Input neither (unless I change my drawing habits but I should not have to use workarounds - it's not normal)

Contributor
luke
Message 8 of 9 (1,516 Views)

05-25-2012 05:18 AM in reply to: JF_005

Thanks, dock the command line and selecting ribbon icons works 1st time not on 2nd click!! Autodesk please send pathch for this as the idea of the new command line is great.

KenThompsonML
Message 9 of 9 (1,137 Views)

11-02-2012 05:15 AM in reply to: JF_005

I am testing 2013 with a view to migrating our office from Autocad Architecture 2010 to 2013 and notice some strange behaviour from the command line in 2013:

I too, along with several others in my office use right-click as enter.  If you type a one letter command - M, and right-click in quick succession it starts up a random command. - Drawing quickly is what we need to do!

I've installed SP1, and turned off the predictive command input to no avail.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube