AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Mike_Standard
Message 1 of 4 (207 Views)

Block Attributes and extraction

207 Views, 3 Replies
10-08-2012 06:14 AM

I am not very familiar with block attributes or data extraction.  I have lots of questions.

i have 20 blocks each inserted multiple times.  I would like to provide drop down menus to track each individual part and label size, location, etc.  Can i insert attributes to one block and copy the attributes to other blocks?

Can i pull in info from an excel document, or do i have to enter the info line by line in the lookup table? (i have 400 names to assign in one of the dropdown menus)

Can anyone give me a step by step process to pull the info from the attributes in these blocks into an Access document?

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 2 of 4 (201 Views)

Re: Block Attributes and extraction

10-08-2012 07:01 AM in reply to: Mike_Standard

Mike,

This newsgroup is no substitute for reading a manual, reading the help files, and taking a class.  I would suggest, if you have time, start by playing around in drawings that don't matter.

Insert some blocks with attributes.  Start attext, hit F1.

Mike_Standard
Message 3 of 4 (194 Views)

10-08-2012 07:49 AM in reply to: dbroad

I have solved most of the problems.  I now have two much more focused questions.

1. Is it possible to import data to a Lookup table from an outside source (excel or word file)?  I have 400+ labels to enter and doing it manually will take years!

2. When i export data from attributes, can i insert it into an existing Access file?

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 4 of 4 (185 Views)

10-08-2012 08:31 AM in reply to: Mike_Standard

Mike_Standard wrote:

I have solved most of the problems.  I now have two much more focused questions.

1. Is it possible to import data to a Lookup table from an outside source (excel or word file)?  I have 400+ labels to enter and doing it manually will take years!

2. When i export data from attributes, can i insert it into an existing Access file?

1) Are you talking about lookup tables in dynamic blocks? If so a)There is no built-in ability to interact with Excel or Access.  You or someone would need to customize to link object handles to excel ranges. b) do you really want a drop down with 400 lines?  Only 25 will show up on a screen.  You should probably sort your blocks into groups so that each block does not support more than 50 possibilities.

2) Export goes to cdf or sdf files.  Its up to you to set up interaction with access but none is provided OOTB in AutoCAD. AutoCAD Architecture has a nice access to AutoCAD link for its Content Browser objects.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube