AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
jreeder
Message 1 of 6 (196 Views)

Best method for creating and deforming an assembly of ultra-thin layers

196 Views, 5 Replies
10-03-2012 07:09 PM

Hi,

I want to make 3D assemblies of very thin layers (the layers have 1000000:1 lateral to depth dimensions) in AutoCAD. Currently I make them in PTC Creo, but I would like to move to using AutoCAD instead.

What is the best method to do this? Specifially, how can I extrude multiple (6-8) ultra-thin layers individually, then join them in an assembly which I can bend and flex to make 3D surfaces? I have attached a Keyshot render of a design I did in Creo. I would like to make the exact same structure in AutoCAD. The design is 6 layers stacked on top of each other, joined as one part, than manipulated into a complex, 3D shape.

Also, is AutoCAD the best Autodesk software to do this? I have access to the student versions of the Autodesk software if it makes a differene.

Cheers,

Jonathan

untitled.134.jpg

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 6 (179 Views)

Re: Best method for creating and deforming an assembly of ultra-thin layers

10-04-2012 03:29 AM in reply to: jreeder

Hi,

an additional question: do you need that for visualisation reasons? Or where do you get the bending-rules/formulas/base-geometry/... from?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
jreeder
Message 3 of 6 (177 Views)

10-04-2012 03:41 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The bending rules in the picture are two 20 degree twists on two different datum planes done in Creo, and are purely aesthetic.

I would like the ability to manipulate the film by rotating or bending about datum planes or axis, or something that will give that effect.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 4 of 6 (155 Views)

10-04-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: jreeder

AutoCAD probably isn't the best tool for this.  Duck into the Inventor forum - if thats not appropriate I'm sure they can give you a better idea of what will be.  You might end up using Inventor or a similar product to do the design, then something like Maya or 3DSMAX to do the twisting.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Y0UNGBL00D
Message 5 of 6 (124 Views)

10-07-2012 01:57 PM in reply to: dgorsman

tha tlooks almost like flexible semiconductor circuitry.  hmmm...

i wonder what our R&D guys use.  if it werent hush hush, i'm sure they'd tell me.

Active Contributor
jreeder
Message 6 of 6 (113 Views)

10-07-2012 11:15 PM in reply to: Y0UNGBL00D

dgorsman: Thanks, I took your advice and I'm learning Inventor now, we'll see how it goes.

YOUNGBL00D: Good guess, it's a multi-plexed array of organic transistors. Any chance you can find out what your guys use for CAD?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube