Did you mean: 

Batch Plot Not Working (just hangs)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jraiz
13744 Views, 13 Replies

Batch Plot Not Working (just hangs)

Hi, Have a problem in doing batch plot and i need help. When i execute the command it just hangs and do nothing. I cannot batch plot to PDF or plotter/printer. Hovering over the plotter icon on the lower right, it just says "publish job in progress" and it just stays that way forever. This was working before and for whatever reason its not working now. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks,
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: jraiz

Try disabling "background" Plotting and/or Publishing in Options, Plot and Publish tab.

Message 3 of 14
jraiz
in reply to: dmfrazier

yaaahhhoooo!!!! thank you very much it now works 😃
Message 4 of 14
blessard_TMG

I had this problem and used this fix (for ACAD 2015) and it worked, but it's annoying when you want to publish a large set.

Any chance someone has figured out how to get back publish in the backgroud? Funny sidenote; I had to use the "Reset Settings to Default" program to reset my profile (for a different reason) and the publish in the background worked, until that is I reapplied my previous saved profile. I check all of my paths in my profile and it seemed like everything is pointing to the right folder (unless it's a setting I have checked deep in my profile that i can't figure out)?

Thansk,

Brian

Message 5 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: blessard_TMG

"I had to use the "Reset Settings to Default" program to reset my profile (for a different reason) and the publish in the background worked, until that is I reapplied my previous saved profile."

If you want to (possibly) get to the cause of the issue, the thing to do, then, is to gradually recreate your custom profile by starting with the profile wherein background publishing works and incrementally change settings, testing after each change you make.  As you note, a profile is more than just path settings, so you would have to go through (at least) each tab of the Options command, and then proceed to work your way through a bunch of other settings that are not included there.

An alternative that might also reveal something is to use SYSVDLG (Express Tools, System Variable Editor), which has a "Save all" button to export all the current settings to a file.  Export from each profile and compare the settings.

Message 6 of 14
dbcox

Hi.

I am sorry for digging up an old post.  I am experiencing the same problem in AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.  I have run it with my custom profile for years on an older computer with no issues at all.  I bought a new computer (same OS) and loaded my profile and batch plotting didn't work.  It froze just like described above.  Unfortunately, the background trick didn't work for me.  It actually made it worse because now it doesn't ask where to save the file.  I found a help article that recommended deleting a directory in the registry, which I did.  It didn't help, so I restored it.  Any other ideas?

Message 7 of 14
dbcox
in reply to: dbcox

I *might* have found a solution.  It seems to be working now, but we will see for how long!

The new computer has 2 hard drives, one for the OS and one for the documents.  The old one had one HD for everything.  In the batch plot publish options, the location was set to my OS hard drive.  I changed it to my documents hard drive and changed the "publish to" to "PDF" instead of "plotter named in page setup."  It is now working.  I can see where this may be an issue if you are printing to a printer and not a PDF file, and if you are saving to a network drive that may change (you would have to change the publish options each time.

Message 8 of 14
dmfrazier

"...the location was set to my OS hard drive."

If you don't have admin rights to your "OS hard drive", then changing the location may have been the solution.

"...changed the 'publish to' to 'PDF' instead of 'plotter named in page setup.'"  

However, I suspect changing from "plotter named in page setup" to "PDF" is the more likely reason it now works. This points out the importance of changing one thing at a time when troubleshooting an issue. 

Message 9 of 14
dbcox

"If you don't have admin rights to your "OS hard drive", then changing the location may have been the solution." - I do, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

"However, I suspect changing from "plotter named in page setup" to "PDF" is the more likely reason it now works."  - That would be my thought as well, but it was set to PDF the first time I tried to batch plot several days ago before I started making changes.  I wish I knew exactly what did it so that it could help others not lose 3 days, and also so I can fix it next time if it happens again!

Message 10 of 14
dmfrazier

"I wish I knew exactly what did it..."

If you change both things back to the way they were, what happens?

If you change only one of the things (at a time), what happens (in each case)?

You might discover that it was actually neither of those things. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 14
timlow

Already disabled I never get to the batch plot dialogue after selecting command in Print..

Message 12 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: timlow

Can you get Publish to work by entering the command on the command line?

Message 13 of 14
vanyapR2SL8

Thank you so much! I spend hours trying to make it works.

Message 14 of 14
christopher

When mine stopped working i noticed the location (top right) was set as my desktop i changed it to the drawing folder and it started working.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost