Did you mean: 

Automatic Field Update

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
DavidDeLombaerde
1517 Views, 11 Replies

Automatic Field Update

Hi, I am having problems with the automatic field updates. I've made a dynamic block with a length parameter "LENGTE (mm)" and a stretch action. In this block I also made a Attribute "LENGTE" the value of this attribute is linked to the length of the parameter with a field. The system variable "FIELDEVAL" is 31, so when I save or plot, or ..., the value of the attribute will be updated to the exact length of the parameter. Now when I insert the block and stretch the parameter to a desired length and I save the drawing the attribute is updated and it has the same value as the parameter. But when I close the drawing and I open it again AutoCAD changes this value to ###. I tried the command "UPDATEFIELD" but the value doesn't come back. I have made a command string "c^c^_fieldeval;0;0;save;close" so that when i close the drawing AutoCAD sets the system variable FIELDEVAL to 0 then saves it and closes the drawing, so when I open the drawing again AutoCAD doesn't update the fields. That solved the problem. When I open the drawing again, I made a command to put the fieldeval back to the default value "31", so when I change the length parameter the attribute "LENGTE" will be updated again after a save or a plot. But then it goes wrong and AutoCAD changes the value back in ###. What is the reason that AutoCAD can't update that field, it works fine when the drawing stays open but when the drawing has been closed and I open it again it doesn't work anymore? Can somebody help...? I've attached the block to this post.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Your block wasn't attached 🙂

Try attaching it again

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 12

Sorry, I hope the attachement is included now
Message 4 of 12

It looks like the internet security at the company doesn't allow me to post the attachement, I'll post it tonight on another network.
Message 5 of 12

By the way, is your "REGENMODE" set to 1?

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 6 of 12

Yes, my regenmode is set to 1.
Message 7 of 12

Is "FIELDEVAL" set to 31?

Edit: another obvious one in this would be: what are your save settings in your options?

If you are standard saving down to before version 2005, fields would no longer be supported.

Message 8 of 12

The FIELDEVAL is set to "31". And the standard Save setting is set on 2007.
Message 9 of 12

Although it is impressive what you are trying to do (and I really want to dissect your block to see how): when I asked Autodesk how to connect fields and parameters (especially getting parameters out of file props or attribs) they told me that there was no such connection possible.

But: Dynamic blocks were only introduced 2006, parametrics only in 2010... A suggestion would still be to not save down - if only to see if that solves your problem.
Message 10 of 12

Thank you, I'll post my block tonight so you can dissect it. But changing the default save to 2010 or 2013 works perfect.
Message 11 of 12

Good to hear - looking forward to that block. 🙂
Message 12 of 12

This is the block I was talking about.

I hope this will clear things up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost