Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Discontinuing Upgrades

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
stevev0983
562 Views, 14 Replies

Autodesk Discontinuing Upgrades

This company never ceases to amaze me in it's ability to give the middle finger to the consumer:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Frequently-Asked-Question...

So basically, if you are not currently on subscription, you have to hurry and upgrade to 2015 with subscription or pay full retail if you ever want a new version because they will no longer offer upgrades. I had a subscription from 2007 to 2013 and decided it was never worth it because getting a version of Autocad that actually works correctly was few and far between. I have been using it since Release 9 in 1988 and can honestly say there were only 3 versions that worked really well (IMO) and those were R14, 2007 and 2013. Once I realized that 2013 worked for me, I quit the subscription. Now I will either be forced into one or have to pay full retail whenever I want a new version. I had always held the belief that Comcast was the worst company I've ever dealt with, but Autodesk finally surpassed them.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
p_mcknight
in reply to: stevev0983

AT&T

Message 3 of 15
pendean

Err, Autidesk announced this a year ago... Just get the email today?

Most other professional CAD software is now subscription only, as are most non-AutoCAD offerings from Autodesk, plus most business tools and pro-grade accounting packages, the soon to be only way to get MSOffice from Microsoft, to name but a few. Now walk over and ask your IT group about all of their subscriptions that you never hear about.

Sad change but the writing was on the wall for some time.

I nominate CBEYOND as the worst company for treating customers.
Message 4 of 15
stevev0983
in reply to: pendean

Yup. Just got the info today as did someone else I know in a different company. By the way, in response to your usual snarky comment, I don't have an "IT group". I am it.

Just because some other companies are going in this direction and forcing you into either defective software or "new features" you have no need for, doesn't make it right. Some companies (like McNeel with Rhino) don't partake in these types of practices and continue to offer a great product with reasonable updates whenever you feel you may need them. No limitations, no hassles.

Message 5 of 15
drjohn

@pendean wrote:
Err, Autidesk announced this a year ago... Just get the email today?

Actually, yes, I did just get the email today.

Regards,

DJ

Message 6 of 15
pendean

My point is don't assume your universe is everyone else' universe: Autodesk sells professional grade software at a volume that smaller companies only dream about and right or wrong this makes sense to them like it has all the thoers that are doing it.

If you find smaller vendors meet your needs (like we all do in business all the time), consider them to fulfill it. If not, or you need to sitck with what you have, these are the new rules to play by.

Business choices are yours to make, mine are my own to make, and just like us Autodesk makes business decisions that make sense to them.

Don't get mad at me because you don't like the realities of business on the level that Autodesk wants to be a player in: go tell them (this forum is not the place) and figure out if you still need to or want to be here.

It's tough being in business, always has, always will be: if it was easy there would be no unemployment, we'd all work 35hour weeks and take month long vacations several times a year.
Message 7 of 15
pendean
in reply to: drjohn

You should hang out with the rest of us EEs more often 🙂
Message 8 of 15
dgorsman

Even though our IT group is technically responsible for our licensing they lean heavily on myself and other CAD admins in the various divisions to know about the details they may miss (like handling the 360 install when creating a deployment).  That means its my responsibility to keep track of such things (both passively *and* actively) so nobody gets caught short.  There's zero requirement for any company to perpetually provide any cost reduction for upgrading to a newer release.  If it fits their business model, great.  If not then hopefully new features will make it worthwhile but I'm not going to force them into a corporate suicide pact to suit my demands.

I'm sure there will be a few resellers offering discounts of various values to valued clients, with the reseller effectively eating the difference.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 15
stevev0983

I make no such assumption that my universe is everyone else's. No more than any other forumite does who asks a question. If someone is having a problem with a command, does that person assume everyone else is? Of course not - they are simply bringing their issue to the forum. I see no difference between having an issue with Autodesk's business practice and having an issue with Autodesk's software functionality. A large amount (not all, obviously) of the posts on this forum are complaints about the software not working correctly. Many are simply rants. Maybe you don't like the new darker color scheme, or the new place they put tabs, or whatever it is that you find annoying. When enough people speak up, sometimes Autodesk takes notice and responds. Not everyone sees the need for a subscription. Not everyone has the time or the interest to install an entirely new version every year, especially if you have one that is working. Not everyone got the email when you did - maybe they didn't get it at all and this is the first they are hearing of it. The upgrade process allowed many of us to take years off and only upgrade when we saw the need or saw new features that we thought were worth while. I happen to think taking away that option is the wrong choice. If I am alone, so be it. If I am not alone and enough people speak out, maybe they will reconsider not getting rid of it. If anyone else feels the same, make your voice heard to Autodesk. If not, I guess I am alone and we can consider this thread closed.

Message 10 of 15
nestly2

I think it's rotten that Autodesk is discontinuing the "upgrade" program, and to the best of my knowledge, I've never recieved anything from Autodesk announcing the change..

I also don't think there's any chance Autodesk would reconsider.  Once they get on a train, they'll ride it right through the "Bridge Out" signs, off the tracks,  and into the gorge.

Message 11 of 15
pendean

"...The upgrade process allowed many of us to take years off ..."
Exactly why they switched to a subscription model: as a business, like yours, they decided on a more steady revenue stream and revenue predictions since unlike you they are a publicly traded company with markets and shareholder expectations to respond to.

The market, and shareholders, want to know that their investments have steady predictable incomes. Do you invenst at all in money markets? or a 401K? Do you want those investments to never be able to predict revenue and fluctuate dramatically over years? Would you keep your invesments in such a company?

Think about it: get outside your own head and your own surroundings and just think about it. We live in a free market economy.

PS: you don't have to be on subscription. Stay where you are: Autodesk is simply announcing new pricing if you want to continue with your method of upgrading. Think of it as a price hike, a really big price hike.

Message 12 of 15
steve216586

The subscription process is indeed a smart business venture with a software. One problem, ACAD does not expire. YET!

The only way to get rid of a rabid animal is to cut its head off. Start with 2007 and prior and make them obsolete. No "save down", no support! The only way you open these drawings is through Trueview and you can't modify them. Create a "one time use/drawing" product for converting archived drawings. And make it expensive! All the 2000i users will pay. Why? Because they have to!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 13 of 15
stevev0983
in reply to: steve216586

Please don't go giving them any ideas! Then again, that's better than what they probably have in store next which would be to get rid of subscriptions and change the format every year so everyone has to buy a new full retail copy every year! Because that will really make the shareholders happy!

Message 14 of 15
pendean

REVIT (and INVENTOR?) changes formats with every new version and has no save-back ability: hope that never happens to AutoCAD.
Message 15 of 15
ampster401

correct Dean, Inventor, like all other solid modeling apps do not save backwards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost