Did you mean: 

Autocad vectorization/tracing

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mazh045
2734 Views, 9 Replies

Autocad vectorization/tracing

Hi eveyone,

I'd like to know if there is a way to vectorize an image from autocad. In a near future, I'll be asked to render maps with parks, main streets, lots, etc. And I'd like to know if autocad was able to "auto-trace" an image, i.e from google map and trace it approximatly instead of doing it manually. 

I don't know if some of you would be able to answer me if GIS software are better when it comes up to play with maps, or if they have such vectorize system. I'm kind of a novice when it comes to GIS software. 

Plus, maybe some of you would know where I could actually extract specific datas like streets, loots, zones, etc. or find similar database. I don't think google map offering a good redering with satelite and I don't like the way google render the streets, and it doesn't give us some informations like the zones, etc.

Don't know if anyone could help me with these interrogations, 

thanks a lot for your help! 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
darawork
in reply to: mazh045

Which country are these maps of? You may be able to find some simplier line-only maps online from a GIS depositary or government department.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 10
mazh045
in reply to: darawork

HI,

I'm from Canada, Quebec. I know there are good maps from gouv.qc.ca. 😃

But I thought there would be a database to include that together.
Message 4 of 10
dgorsman

GIS products definitely sound like what you are looking for.  Just be mindful of intellectual property rights - you can end up dealing with industry heavyweights who are sensitive to others using their imagery without correct licensing arrangements, with legal departments to match.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 10
acwtzwegers

In the past I have done this through a slightly dodgy method:
- print to black/white PDF
- convert that PDF to DXF (www.aidecad.com/‎)
- insert DXF in Acad
- scale/align (etc)

Be warned that it creates lots and lots of little small arcs and lines (also from text), that you need good contrast to reduce that.
Message 6 of 10
Murph_Map

Canada does have a good set of data and maps you can use, however you need to use a GIS program like Autocad Map3D to get the most use of the data. To vectorize you would use Raster Design.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 10
darawork
in reply to: Murph_Map

I'd bet you'd have luck with hillwalkers with garmin gps navigators in your area. Sneekily join one of their Find-the-flag forums. They usually have loads of maps. Reproducing modified maps for purposes of enviornmental impact statements, safety reports, road closure documents..... they may as well be shareware if they impact positivly on a development. Who's to say you are to blame in cases of clients not supplying the correct paid maps if someone gets injured in the course of site 'redevelopment'? Good luck.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 8 of 10
darawork

http://wintopo.com/wintopo-free.htm I find this to be quite good. Also use something like photoshop. (Paid CC subscriber here). Excellent for reducing jpg map noise to single lines withthe right filters. One you have the image turned black and white, then apply a threshold filter. Gives you nice lines. Then open with Wintopo to create vector files. .DXF's

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 9 of 10
darawork

Btw, that 'good luck' was for your attempts at 'recreating' Google Earth. 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 10 of 10
darawork

Or importing stolen sheep. In which case Autodesk may well have your I.P. already....

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost