Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2014, Hatch edit command

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
macunningham
10699 Views, 5 Replies

Autocad 2014, Hatch edit command

After I've created a hatch and selected the objects I want to be have boundaries, I frequently have to move those objects within the hatch so that their boundaries follow to the new location. Currently, if I move an object, it's hatch boundary does not follow. I then have to use hatchedit to remove the old boundary and reselect the object so the boundary follows.

What is curious is that on some hatches, that I've created myself, in the same drawing, the boundary follows the object automatically. I don't have to go back with hatchedit. So, I know I'm doing something right. I compared listings of the two and see that the hatch whose object boundaries follow when move has Associative listed. The hatch whose objects' boundaries do not Lists as not associative. In hatchedit, it has an associative box is grayed out. I did not know of associative before creating either of these hatches, so can't explain why one is associative and one is not.

The only difference is that I used solid hatch fills on the one that is not associative and non solid fills on the one that is associative. If that's the difference, I've got a problem. I like using solid fills. When combined with setting the screening % in the plot style editor table I get more control of the color output.

I'm attaching a dwg file that shows each type of hatch.

Would appreciate your feedback. Please reply to macunningham@stanfordmed.org.

Thank you,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: macunningham

Hatches that are set ot be ASSOCIATIVE move with their boundaries, those are are not do not. That's the only way it works as you want it to work.

Any reason you cannot use a SOLID hatch? does 'solid fills' mean something else? Sorry, I can't access your drawing file at the moment.
Message 3 of 6
M_Hensley
in reply to: macunningham

When creating hatches you have the option of making them associative with the check box. Once made as associative the hatch will redo itself when any boundaries are moved. If you erase something that the hatch considers part of the boundary then you lose the associativity. Once lost I don't know of any way to make it associative again. I just erase it and make a new one. You can alwaysl pick a non-associative hatch and grip edit it for a quick fix.

Message 4 of 6
ParishSouthBdx
in reply to: pendean

Mr. Pendean, what did I do with my Autocad2016 that made the options in my hatch grips go away?!?  Not the select grip and right click option, I mean the pick and hover options like INSERT VERTEX, CONVERT TO LINE/ARC??

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 6
pendean
in reply to: ParishSouthBdx

You or someone drew it like that.

Remove the old boundary then you can use HATCHEDIT to fix your "bad" blue hatch in your file by adding a new boundary to the hatch (answer yes to make it associative).
Message 6 of 6
dbroad
in reply to: ParishSouthBdx

@ParishSouthBdx

Your blue hatch is non-associative.  Somewhere along the process of editing your drawing, you broke the associativity.  It happens.

The yellow hatch on the right is associative.  Associative hatches have only one grip (the hatch origin).  Non-associative hatches have right click boundary controls.  

You must choose which way you like to work.  There is nothing wrong with either as long as the hatch is where you want.  When I break my hatches (probably by exploding a polyline or by moving a line that creates a gap in the hatch), I have a choice (rehatch or adjust the boundary.  It is usually easier to adjust the boundary and to continue.

Changing a hatch's pattern does not affect its associativity.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost