Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2013 - Number Virus - Bloated File Size?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
4448 Views, 17 Replies

Autocad 2013 - Number Virus - Bloated File Size?

Anyone who encountered files for Autocad where all files tends to have huge file sizes when saved. This problem transfer from one file to another by copying some of it's content to another file. Any command were done just to try to reduce a file but still isn't working.

The problem became serious when each file became atleast 200mb per 2D dwg.

Our Tech support said it was a kind of Number virus where it alters the log in each file to hav a bigger file size.

Though this happens only in CAD, and certain files/projects were affected. The old and previous file unused where still intact. Only those new ones that we are currently accessing.

Is there such thing as this? We are still trying to resolve this from our IT Support etc., but still remain unknown.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

This could be a problem related to DGN linetypes.

Consider to look at this topic:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Linetype-that-will-not-purge/td-p/4303723

Sometimes -WBLOCK with * option helps to reduce file size.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks for that appreciate it, but unfortunately Superpurge didn't work. Just DL and tried them on a file but still not affected.

Here's more of the summary of the scene.

1. It definitely started on a file which we don't know specifically. How? We just noticed that after a series of coincidence such as - failure of our server one day; My CAD English 2013 cannot be opened and crash down; then the next 2 days my working files became a recovery file whereas everytime you recover, it was not fully recovered. Still asks to recover everytime you open those files. That's where it started. We noticed that the usual files is increasing it's size bit by bit. After 1-2 months of not figuring out what's happening, it's bothering that our files multiplies from 15mb, 40mb, 60mb , 100 mb, upto 400 mb already whereas actually those files must actually weigh in a maximum of 15mb only.

2. WE have tried opening and saving it to a separate server/PC/laptop. WE have found out that a file size immediately goes back to it's original size once saved there and not to our PC and Server. Meaning externally, it becomes normal. 

3. The problem narrows down where some of our files seems to be at good state and doesnt experience same problem regardless of which PC we use within the network. But once, these files with huge sizes altered or modified to any PC, the file works abnormally already in terms of the sizes.

We don't know if it's because of this NEW CAD 2013 version bldg suite or the PC itself or the files.

We assume that it about the files because it can affects other files by just transferring items inside to another files and boom, huge file sizes already.

THis is too much for now, my bad for this long explanation. It's just quite frustrating. OUr vendor and IT are seekign Autodesk opinion on this for now but we've been facing this for almost 2 months already.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 18
maxim_k

Hi,
Could you:
Create a copy of one of your "infected" files, delete everything in it, purge blocks, than if the size of the file is still too big - ZIP it and attach to the post here?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 18
pixelarch

Try ATK_PURGED_2013

Use NETLOAD to load this file.

In command line : ATK-PURGE

For Multiple files : ATK-PURGE-BATCH

Try and see.

Message 6 of 18
Jason.Piercey

Annotation sale lists, registered applications, and AEC content are common causes for bloated file sizes.  Resetting the scale list, purging registered applications, and exporting the files (removing the AEC content) are often effective ways of reducing file size.

If your firm uses xrefs, it may be necessary to start with the lowest level xref and work your way up to the plot sheets before you see a change in file size(s).

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: pixelarch

Thanks, Tried that but even the command is not working on our 2013??

ATK-PURGE

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi,

I tried to delete everything in the file, from 100++mb, became 98mb without anything inside. Though there are few layers that can't be purged.

If this file happens to open to your PC and after you save immediately gets back to it's supposedly original file size then its just the same thing that happens here. As I have said, whenever we open and save to other PC outside our network, it restores back to it's original size. But any pc here in the network can't do that.

I can't send the file here say its too big.

We suspect and will tryt o remove and install back our 2013 CAD too to see if there's a correlation.

Message 9 of 18
pixelarch

It's for 2013. Put it in local disk not server folder. If it doesn't work please give me the notice/ warning.
Message 10 of 18
maxim_k

I believe if you disconnect network wire (or switch off wifi) on one of the PCs in your office, you will be able to save reduced in size file.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

You mean, the 2013 version has this problem?

I know that it can be reduced using an outside or local pc. But, our company works on the entire network processing and this involves not just few files, but a lot of files already. Somehow, those small project files that we dont bother much before, seems to get affected now and getting bigger files too whenever we do them.

What I don't know is that what causes it? Once I reduced the file from a local pc (outside the network), it gains back the huge files immediately once resaved from our PC's that is in the network.

Could it be a somekind of virus that only affects the CAD files? or the CAD version 2013 which I'm not sure though because it happens same way with our other PC's with lower versions. Or it started with a file somewhere?

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Yes, we can do that, but that would only be temporary as we are working in the entire network. Once we redo it in our network pc's it'll just bloat again easily.

What I dont know is that if it's a common problem with the 2013? started in a file? or a virus of somekind affecting CAD files only within out network?

Our vendor seeks autodesk support on this too but haven't got any feedback.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 18
pixelarch

Could u share that file? U can delete all elements.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

i can give the blank file with 98Mb file size, zipped it to 4mb but cannot upload here unless you can give me an email address?

I uploaded here a snapshot of one of our folders which has this problem. If you would notice the file sizes of each cad file soar and highly big for a normal cad file size.

I have just tried uninstalling my CAD and installing it back but seems to be the same and nothing can change it.

See attached and zoom in using your word doc.

Message 15 of 18
maxim_k

Hi,
Try to email it to my mail:
mkanaev at yandex.ru

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Try this: Open drawing and type command DXFOUT, save it to your desktop. Go to that file and open it. Type DXFOUT again, save to desktop but give it a different file name. Now open that file, PURGE all and SAVE (as dwg this time). Worked for me.
Message 17 of 18
manjulacw

Hi Guys,

I got a similar problem, to which I have so far not found a solution.

I partner with a team of other consultant and have to expect files from diferent CAD versions (I guess).

The situation is;

1. We have received a series of files from "Architect 1" and each file is approx 35-40 MB.
  2. When we "save" and/or "save as", each file bloats to 600-700MB. (yes that size) !!! (Avery version from 2013-2000 except 2004)
  3. When saved to 2004, the file size reduces to 30-36MB.
  4. When we "copy & paste" to a new drawing, the file size drops to 3-4MB.

There is nothing to purge, nothing to delete, nothing to audit etc.

As we are working with a team of intrernational consultants, we don't want to "Copy & Paste" as we may loose some data whch may be needed later on.

Do any of you have any solution to this.

Lastly, in advance, Thanks a lot guys,

Cheers

Manjula

Message 18 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: manjulacw

Hi, please don't create crosspost, that does not help you and also not others, it's just more work for everyone, you too.

And if you are placing your request to existing threads then please tell us, what you tried from the suggestions here, otherwise we have to start at 0 again and have to repeat all the suggestions (in all your posts).

Let's continue >>>there<<<, there you have already one suggestion and you can answer to that + give a response of what you have tried yet

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost