AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

SilverRey
Message 1 of 7 (446 Views)

AutoSave file disapearing

446 Views, 6 Replies
11-26-2012 12:12 PM

I am running into a situation where my autosave file disappears when I accidentally close my drawing while editing a block (those x's are way too close to each other).

Has anyone else run across this? The backup files for the autosave remains, but the autosave file itself is gone. And I have the autosave set to 5 min, so there should always be something there....

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 7 (441 Views)

Re: AutoSave file disapearing

11-26-2012 12:24 PM in reply to: SilverRey

Automatic save is disabled when the Block Editor is open.

SilverRey
Message 3 of 7 (425 Views)

11-26-2012 02:46 PM in reply to: dmfrazier

I can understand why autosave would be disabled during block editing, but why is my autosave file disappearing completely?

Isn't one of the functions of autosave to save yourself from yourself (like when I'm clumsy enough to close the drawing instead of closing the block editor).

Active Contributor
tstright
Message 4 of 7 (413 Views)

11-27-2012 04:20 AM in reply to: SilverRey

AutoCAD's automatic save simply writes a copy of the current drawing to disk every so often, and when you shutdown AutoCAD normally, those file(s) are deleted.

The save file only remains if Autocad crashes.

"Only the Skilled Survive"
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 5 of 7 (404 Views)

11-27-2012 06:25 AM in reply to: tstright

Yes, I read that article, too (http://cadpanacea.com/node/15).  Unfortunately, it is a little incomplete in that it doesn't discuss Autosave's relationship with BAK files.

Although the SV$ file(s) may be deleted when AutoCAD is shut down normally, somehow I end up with multiple BAK files (with names that match the files I had open, with extra "stuff" appended) in my designated Autosave folder.  These files are legitimate DWG files representing certain stages during an editing session.

From other posts here (e.g. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010/autosave/m-p/2718949/highlight/true#M23734), I have learned that they are renamed SV$ files that result from a combination of having ISAVEBAK=1 and allowing multiple "firings" of Autosave by not performing a "real" save in the interim. 

Every now and then I do get the opportunity to appreciate those BAK files.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 6 of 7 (402 Views)

11-27-2012 06:31 AM in reply to: SilverRey

Is it "disappearing" or never appearing?

If you're spending a lot (most) of your editing time in the block editor, Autosave may never get the opportunity to create an SV$ file at all.

As others have stated, Autosave is not really meant to "save yourself from yourself".  It's meant to help you recover from an abnormal shutdown.

Valued Contributor
Rick-K
Message 7 of 7 (393 Views)

11-27-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: SilverRey

I too had a problem with myself.

I would close a bunch of files and accidently click the button for no save. :smileysad:

So I have a reactor set to rename the sv$ to .rgk (my initials) file whenever the drawing is closed and not saved.

This way I always have a version of the drawing.

I have attached the file as a lisp file but I actually have it inside of my acaddoc.lsp file.

Every once in a while you will need to manually delete the .rgk files from your temp/autosave location.

Rick

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube