Did you mean: 

AutoCAD trying to calculate instead Excel

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
seregadushka
1501 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD trying to calculate instead Excel

In  AutoCAD displays a cell , linked with Excel.

If simple text is entered in Excel, then the link works.
If the in cell is complex formula, such as = VLOOKUP (cell reference to another file) -- there is no connection.

and 
If the cell is present the simplest formula, for example = UPPER (cell reference in this file) -- there is no connection.

Autodesk, this problem has dragged on for many years. When you decide this simple problem? You are trying to do the job,

which have been implemented Microsoft. Do not need to count! Take only the value , which already considered other team!

Why communication is implemented only in the tables? I do not need the table. Fields - quite a handy tool with many features. Esport tables drawings useful thing, but calculations made by the party sotf, they  least important for summary information on the drawing.

I do not need your Cloud, I need a reliable connection AutoCAD with other brands. You will not catch up with Excel. Every leader in its area.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
seregadushka
in reply to: seregadushka

Insert to AutoCAD    "AEC Database" or "AD Database"

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

What field?

Architectural? Mechanical? Civil?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 15
seregadushka
in reply to: JDMather

Tables or fields -- that are not so important. The important thing  is that Autodesk may refer only to the simplest information from cells Excel, just niked text.

Autodeks, understand that the modern project is a set of graphical information and calculations. Naked drawings dont need for nobody. Any drawing is a graphical display of the results of complex calculations.

I have a simple projects, but calculations have a lot of XLS files, I may to forget how to operate my calculations, but they work. Link depth reaches 6 files. In the resulting worksheet, which contains the results of the drawingthere is not a single cell with a manually entered text.

You should encourage designers to automation, rather than manual work. Automation allows forsimple projects, and not to waste time and attention to the basic calculations.

For what are you doing export in TXT or CSV ? What to do next? To print on a paper and put in the archive on the shelf?

You don't offer to print final documents into AutoCAD? And trust this job to MS Word. And leave a calculations to MS Excel.

For some elementary school you offer link AutoCAD-Excel?
Message 5 of 15
JDMather

What specialty of work?

Architectural? Mechanical? Civil? Other?

Can you answer this direct question? (4 possible answers)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 15
seregadushka

The ScreenShot is done in AutoCAD 2015. Student work.

This is not the case with some specialization. You have the base of the Database AD that is not represented in the original AutoCAD, but its interface is stuck at the end of the 90 's. Autodesk has more focus on appearance, the color of the interface, littleuseful Cloud etc (few distributed organizations can work together on one drawing, to understand and accept what makes another person without further explanation, a tension design time)

I do not hope to get here a solution to my problem. The proposal to Autodesk.to shift a bit their bearings .

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

@seregadushka wrote:

The ScreenShot is done in AutoCAD 2015. Student work.

This is not the case with some specialization. 
 The proposal to Autodesk.to shift a bit their bearings .

Autodesk has many products - AutoCAD is a base product, a general purpose CAD product.

Perhaps one of the vertical upgrades has the functionality you are looking for.

For example, Autodesk Inventor product used in the manufacturing/mechanical field has very robust embedded or linked Excel functionality and enhanced with iFeatures, iParts and iLogic.

I propose that you might shift your bearings a bit and look at the Autodesk vertical products.

Students can download Autodesk products for free here http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity , but these products are professional products that deserve (require?) a professional level of preparation.  You would probably have to pick a specialized field of study (like mechanical, architectural or civil) because of the significant personal effor required to learn one of these tools.

Message 8 of 15
seregadushka

JDMather, thanks for the detailed answer. I can hardly see the Autodesk Inventor--it has a very high system requirements.
It is interesting that in the original AutoCAD is the simplest connection to Excel: Special Link-Object in Excel. At its core is a small screenshot of one cell. Often in drawings you need only one number. Why should I create a table with a single cell, fight in its table styles and locks. It never fails, it does not need any depth references in calculations. It is updated instantly, without any additional clicks. But she has only one drawback-it cannot be formatted. Excel is a programfor calculations, but in this case is to use it as a decoration program, with fonts and sizes for AutoCAD.
In the examples on Youtube.com engineers create the CAD right in front of the camera, and then delete, as unnecessary, for training purposes. Thank you is not necessary. You show real projects, where for each digit are profoundcalculations across multiple databases.
A single field of AutoCAD with reliable communications with a single cell in Excel is also important, the more its value may be taken as the basis for other elements of the drawing. With tables, it is impossible. JDMather, please tell mewhether it's Inventor, or a more simple solution by Autodesk.
Message 9 of 15
seregadushka

I opened AutoCAD MEP on your recommendation. It has a "Database AD". After some manipulation (quite a lot of options) with Microsoft Excel-32 Dirver and -64 has reliable communication AutoCAD's fields with XLS.
Not very user-friendly interface.
There is at Autodesk another solution for working with the "Database AD" , but more modern interface?
Message 10 of 15
seregadushka

Violation links to FIELD through MS driver

Message 11 of 15
seregadushka

This dead technology has not changed for 10 years.

1. "Select a window table ..." -- to select sheets in a file (book). Maximum-default-sixteen at all 8. Here are the names of theworksheets and the names of the listed areas on your worksheet .XLS. I have sheets of 14 and even I can see 2 named areas. I have with each sheet for better visibility used to print in AutoCAD, sheets of A19. This is kindergarten, not project. But what about people who have 90 sheets on?
The more eager I wrote big formula, in which the first 2 sheets (comparative analysis of common technology) are involved in it, like reference variables. I cannot join them in one sheet. If who want to make 17 variants of the technology, it is easy to extend, but I will not be able to rely on their resultsbecause the restriction on damned 16 sheets + areas. People have already gigabites of memory is larger than this limit on computer resources.

Also, with time, I understand the usability of named areas for readability formulas. And when using the doublereferences, you might even forget where they are, but all will work. Areas I have too many 20-30, but I can only refer to the 2 remaining after 14 sheets.

2. the window "Select a record to ... " -- is to select the cell. I have 4 files, one of which has 450 lines, here in this window Ishould see it.

3. When will this end?

Message 12 of 15
seregadushka

I noticed , that if you add  =""&  in the cell before formula Excel  , the information is still transmitted from Excel  to AutoCAD. But not always. Also one becomes unavailable formatting accuracy of the display in cell of Excel . It is necessary to introduce additional formula rounding precision. This is unnecessary and a serious obstacle.
Link 1 cell to the 1 fields. It is a necessity.

We do not need communication via the table with their huge styles. I do not need to bind large amounts of (all the same you do not pull the connection with the table of this size). I do not want your clouds that you give so much time and effort, and leaves unanswered the question "who will perform the calculation ???" Ten people from the cloud in front of web-cameras with a calculator in hands ???

I need shure the connection, with the new interface, between  1 cell Excel and 1 field DWG !!!

Look at how many people are looking for a solution to this poblemy! There are third-party applications (AutoField -- cadig.com) that do this . The interface presented in AutoCAD, stuck in the 90s. Your table is still not catch up once and Excel  will not be able to repeat its functions. You can not make the whole planet to transfer all the calculations projects, consisting of dozens of sheets Excel , interconnected in Table AutoCAD. This is crazy!

1 cell of Excel -- link -- 1 fiels AutoCAD

Message 13 of 15
seregadushka

This is simple of table Excel , in project 3 things like it

Message 14 of 15
seregadushka

Do not think that AutoCAD in the near future can replace Excel

=IF(AND(INDIRECT(ISTOK&"!document")="DIPLOM";ROW()=Tekushaya);INDIRECT("["&ISTOK&"]5!"&IF(RIGHT(CELL("filename";$A$1);1)="P";"J";"K")&215);VLOOKUP(INDIRECT(IF(INDIRECT(mashina&ROW())="--";traktor;mashina)&ROW());INDIRECT(Variant.xls!Bbaza);16;FALSE)*podgon)

This is only 1 cell (N14) from the previous example

Message 15 of 15
seregadushka

This page is in Russian. I have no strength to translate it. If Autodesk want to improve your  AutoCAD, then translate themselves. There's a picture 🙂

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68251314#68251314

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost