Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 freezes when changing 3D object color

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
FadeRat
5822 Views, 20 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 freezes when changing 3D object color

Hello.

Working in AutoCAD 2015, I am changing a simple extruded circle to any color, then AutoCAD just freezes. Computer doesn't freeze; I can open and close anything else. Just AutoCAD.

The drawing file itself is quite large (a little over 10 gigs). Is this just a file size/hardware issue? Or is there something going on in 2015?

Processor:         Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 208 GHz

RAM:               8.00 GB

System Type:    Window 7 64-bit Operating System

Graphics:          NVIDIA GeForce 210

An interesting side note; After AutoCAD freezes, other open windows on my computer slide behind the color selection drop-down menu on the properties toolbar...

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: FadeRat

Hi,

First: I want to have your workstation with a processor running at 208GHz! What have you paid for that?

Second: I guess you are the onliest in the world who tries to run AutoCAD with a DWG-file >10GB

Please give correct details about your drawing and your system!

If you can reproduce the problem with cylinder + changing it's color then please try that in a new drawing, if that issue can reproduced in that drawing please upload it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 21
FadeRat

Sorry for the typos.

The processor is 2.80GHz.

The dwg file size is just shy of 10MB.

I tried to recreate it in a separate dwg, however I could not reproduce it. I am assuming it is an issue with my SUPER-computer I am running then : )

Message 4 of 21
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I tried to recreate it in a separate dwg, however I could not reproduce it

Then run command _AUDIT with that dwg file that does have that issues to get defects repaired.

If that does not work you can try to copy & paste the geometry from the "defect" drawing to a new drawing ... does it then work?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 21
JDMather

Unless this model is of a single part - I recommend that you start using xrefs.

I set up as

Top Level Assembly
    -- Xref parts and xref sub-assemblies

--- sub-assemblies xref parts

---parts

This is more representative of the real world and ensures that you don't have all of your eggs in one basket.

Be sure to have backups in case you do break an egg (or a hole basket of eggs).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 21
FadeRat

Hello,

AUDIT showed no errors. The issue appears to be only occassionally. I am just going to assume it's a hardeware issue.

Thank you all for your time.

Message 7 of 21
allanr

the problem appears to be with temporary texture mappings that CAD tries to create in the user data folder, for some reason there are A TON of processor times outs, NAME NOT FOUND, stuff like that. Only when it comes back from that abyss do you get focus back in your application window. WHAT A MESS
Message 8 of 21
dgorsman

As you are working, pop up the Task Manager from time to time and have a look at memory consumption.  If its maxing out on a regular basis, time to think about a) splitting the model up a bit and b) adding a bit more RAM.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 21
Peter_Rijs

Exact same thing here. Used to happen in AutoCad 2013, 2014 and 2015, still happens in AutoCad 2016 and also a problem in AutoCad mechanical 2016.

All drawings are split into smaller xreffed parts. Happens every once and a while and only when changing 3D solid colors. AutoCad freezes and nothing can be done but Ctrl-Alt-Del. No offer to save uptill the last commands, no offer to send an error report to Autodesk. All other software keeps functioning normally. One core is fully employed. Core workload varies a little so presumably something is happening. Waiting is no option - even letting the machine continue overnight will not end the freeze. 

Configuration Core i7 3820 CPU @ 3,6GHz / 16GB RAM / Win7 x64 OS / Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics / SSD 2x Samsung 850 EVO pro.

No extreme CPU/GPU temperatures, no slowing down or other signals of impeding failure before such a freeze.

Bizar how such a problem seems to consistently stay unaddressed through the years.

Help would be appreciated.

Peter

Message 10 of 21

Hi
I can confirm changing the colour of a solid will sometimes hang Autocad and require Ctrl Alt Del to close the process, actually quite a fiddly step as sometimes they refuse to close and you have to try a couple of times. killing them one by one. until finally it lets go. Clearly the processes are not windows complient, they are badly behaved.

And yes I use Exrefs to keep individual files small.

Machine is I7 with 8gb ram Win 7 64bit.

Most of the time restarting Autocad will not allow you to change the colour of the same file, it will just hang again. as reported in other posts on the net.

However restarting the computer before trying to edit the same file has fixed the problem for me.

That may be a clue? There must be bits of Autocad code being reused when you just restart the program, rather than rebooting the machine itself. Maybe a classic memory leak?

Yes it is a very annoying Bug.

Oh and it was there in 2015 and now in the 2016 version. I am right up to date with updates.

Regards
John McNamara

Message 11 of 21

And the question is . . what is Autodesk doing to fix this? Seems to be ignored for years since this bug does not generate an automated error reponse. Don't they read their own forum's?

Message 12 of 21

Hi Alfred,

_Audit does not result in any errors. Recover does not bring up any issues. Seems to occur fully random, both in AutCad and AutoCad mechanical and both on desktop and laptop machines. What these (our) machines have in common is Samsung SSD's (although it also happened before we switched to those), Win7x64, Nvidia 4000 graphics and of course Autodesk software. On both machines all other software keeps functioning normally. Copying the whole contents to a new drawing will not solve the problem. Sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks, sometimes several times a day - and that is where any CAD operator starts getting really pissed off . . .. 

From what I read here the issue is not uncommon and happens on a variety of machine configurations. 

best regards,

Peter

Message 13 of 21
pendean
in reply to: Peter_Rijs

This forum is end users helping other end users: if you want Autodesk's attention, do so by filing a problem with them on your subscription page and here http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=1073063&siteID=123112
Message 14 of 21
Peter_Rijs
in reply to: pendean

Has been posted in suggested location. Should I receive any response I'll post it here.
Message 15 of 21
WilliamsSA15

Was a solution to this problem ever provided? I am having the same difficulties with changing colours of 3D solids in Map and Civil. The issue appears to occur at random and there are definitely no errors in the files that I am using. It is extremely frustrating!
Message 16 of 21
Peter_Rijs
in reply to: WilliamsSA15

Not solved (yet) and no reponse from Autodesk. I followed an earlier recommendation by "Pendean" to report this through my subscription options, but that seems to end somewhere in the same dark pit as all the complaints in this forum.

Even without "the proper way" to report this - one can at least expect Autodesk to filter repeated complaints from these fora and do something about it. As you mentioned - Frustrating.

Message 17 of 21
pendean

Resubmit your request: and do it again in a week. They are humans just like us, no better or worse than us, sometimes things slip by unnoticed.
Message 18 of 21
WilliamsSA15
in reply to: pendean

Map 3D crashed on me again earlier through this very issue and I actually got the option to send an error report. I explained the problem and hopefully (maybe...) I'll get a response. I'll post if I do.

Message 19 of 21

I also get this issue quite frequently in Acad 2015, wasn't a problem in previous versions.

Message 20 of 21

Yes it is still happening to me on two computers. The only way for me to stop it is to restart the computer not just the application.

Both puters are I7 running autodesk design suite 2016
The graphics update in 2016 gives me the impression that something is not quite right. Yes it works, but not with the fluidity of the previous version. 

Regards
John McNamara

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost