Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015: New Layout Tab / Statusbar Issues

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
nrz13
13193 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD 2015: New Layout Tab / Statusbar Issues

I thought I'd group all the lost features and bugs specifically relating to the new combined Layout Tab / Statusbar together here.  If you care about any of the issues listed below, be sure to let Autodesk know -- the more people that contact them, the more likely they are to fix it.  Link to this post so they can see all of the issues together while they're (hopefully) making changes.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Also, subscription users can use the Subscription Center to report issues.

New Layout Tab / Statusbar Issues

1) Option for text instead of icons on Statusbar has been removed

2) Option for horizontal scroll bar has been removed

3) Ctrl+Dragging tabs to duplicate layout has been removed

4) When opening a drawing (with no other drawings open), the last-saved view is shifted down and the bottom of the layout is covered up by the Layout Tab bar loading over it

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
CrystalPearson
in reply to: nrz13

I heard that they took away the ability to change from icons to words for the Status Bar in order to save space. I think we should be able to make the choice ourselves whether to have it crowded or not, as we see fit. Boo!

The other thing they removed is the "Classic" Workspace, which I never used, but it's a nice selling point/comfort thing for older version users who are considering updating.

Message 3 of 19
pendean

They just don't provide "classic" OOTB, the parts are there for those that need to migrate or recreate from older versions.

You may not know but "classic" got pulled from all the verticals some time back, this here just finishes the task.
Message 4 of 19
CrystalPearson
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean, Yes, I show my students that they can still turn on their old familiar tool bars in conjunction with the Ribbon, if they need. I also advocate using the Ribbon, pointing out that the "Classic" Workspace doesn't have all of the cool updated tools. However, IMHO, I still think from the standpoint of that there are almost a half a million users out there who are using older versions of CAD, keeping that there as a selling point/comfort thing for those worried about upgrading would have been wise...
Message 5 of 19
Ron-C

Option to put the Layout tabs back on top (Above command line Like 2014)

I've been asking for the ability to "Stretch" the Layout Tabs "UP" and make several rows  "As Needed "

Like you are able to "streatch the command line "Up-Down"

Would be great feature (Has been in wish List 2 yrs)

Ron

Message 6 of 19
pendean

A usability change takes 3-5 versions to implement unless the team developing the feature come across a super easy coding trick: just a reality of coding.

Current version; too late
Next version; most likely already in pre-alpha or alpha testing, too late too.
Version after that: defined and coded, they are validating components and identifying final product.
Version AFTER that: maybe open for that changed component. Maybe one more year out.

Assuming your request got noticed and was given the green-light at the time you wrote it.
Message 7 of 19
LyleHardin

Another issue I've noticed is not being able to drag a layout tab into SSM. Bummer.

I've reported that with the Ctrl+Drag to copy a layout.

Message 8 of 19
jelsler
in reply to: CrystalPearson

how do you them on?
Message 9 of 19
LyleHardin
in reply to: jelsler

Not sure what you meant by that... but if you right click on the layout tab you get some options.

To add a layout to the SSM, make sure you are in the Subset of the SSM where you want the sheet, then right click on the layout tab you want to import and select Import Layout as Sheet (or something like that).

To copy a  layout tab, right click the tab and select Move or Copy (I think).

Sorry, I don't have AutoCAD open to make certain of the commands, but they are something like what I've described above.

Lyle

- Edit -

Now I see you were replying to CrystalPearson. So now I see you are curious about the toolbars, I guess. Tools > Toolbars > [select menu toolbars are in] > select the toolbars you want to show.

Message 10 of 19
nestly2
in reply to: jelsler

jelsler wrote:
how do you them on?

Classic Workspace and toolbars? see this --> Create a Classic workspace from scratch (AutoCAD2015)

Any additonal questions not related to Layout / Status bar should be in a different topic... or here. 

Message 11 of 19
jelsler

Thank you, this was extremly helpful. Sorry about the fast fingers. Refering to classic toolbars: how do you turn them on? Guess it saves the programers some time by not having to set this for us, the end users. Thanks again!!!

Message 12 of 19
rglundholm

I understand the ability to use the control key to copy tabs has been removed in 2015.  We use that exclusively to create many pages of drawings in our organization. Literally most of our jobs range from 60 to 150 pages (tabs) per file. This is common in our industry, ie. the construction industry, for producing shop drawings on 11 x 17 sheets for manageability in the field and on the shop floor.

I think the new method for browsing through the tabs is great and certainly a needed improvement over the previous preview method, but now the trade off is to take away the one very easy and simple method for creating additional pages that has been in Autocad for many years and again used by many.  Now the alternative is to go through the longer process of using the "move/copy" method in the right click menu.

We would like to get that function back into the tabs list as it has been a real time saving technique for us. I can't imagine someone thinking that this was not being used with any frequency or was so dificult to use that they decided it was not needed anymore. I know people who draft in our industry would like for this function to be restored.

Message 13 of 19
nrz13
in reply to: rglundholm

rglundholm:

I don't think it was an intentional removal.  It looks like they redesigned the entire layout/statusbar and didn't realize what all the code was doing in there before.  For a list of all the things affected by the redesign, see this post:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/AutoCAD-2015-New-Layout-Tab-Statusbar-Issues/m-...

See this post for what you can do about this problem:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/AutoCAD-2015-Layout-Tabs-Lost-Feature/td-p/4932...
Post #3 from pendean gives a link to report the issue -- the more people that report it, the more likely it is to be fixed.
Page #3 lists a LISP work-around that I've been using. It's not as good as the ctrl+drag, but it's better than nothing.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 14 of 19
niharikah
in reply to: nestly2

Having trouble re-ordering and deleting pages in layout tab.. any advice?

Thanks 🙂

Message 15 of 19
DaveFuller

This began after installing SP2 (non-beta). When selection multiple layout tabs (as when publishing selected tabs) as I move the cursor from one tab to another, the tabs shift left to tigh and back, making a bit difficult to select the desired tabs. How about Autodesk listens to us and just puts it back the way it was, it worked, it wasn't broke, you made a mistake by changing it, admit that and fix it.

Message 16 of 19
nrz13
in reply to: DaveFuller

FYI, I'm running a hotfix for the SP2 tab reordering bug right now and it seems to be working fine.  I was told it would be on the knowledge.autodesk.com website within the next couple of days.

EDIT:
Er, nevermind.  Just realized you were talking about a different thing.  The hotfix I'm talking about only fixes the bug that was added in SP2 that "randomly" resorts tabs to the end of a group of tabs.

Message 17 of 19
lafleur

I HATE HATE HATE that I'm forced to use icons instead of words in the drawing status bar! I have been able to read words for, oh, about 56 years now, whereas the icons are not intuitive, nearly invisible and everchanging version to version.

Message 18 of 19
nrz13
in reply to: lafleur

Lafleur:

Let Autodesk know about your concern here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

If you are on subscription, you can also sign into your Autodesk Account and report it under
Support → View my support cases → Technical Product Support
https://manage.autodesk.com/

Message 19 of 19
nestly2
in reply to: lafleur

I didn't mind the pre2015 statusbar icons (they had more color/contrast), but I really dislike the all blue and grey icons in 2015-16.  The best solution at this point is to use the Feedback link in the first post in this topic to let them know how you feel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost