Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Crashing & Bogged Down

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
vbsbchic
1769 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Crashing & Bogged Down

I have been working with the free trial for a few days now, and every time upon closing a file, the program crashes. Has anyone experienced this? And if so, will the bug be fixed by the time the subscription update comes out?

Also, I have been working with version 2008 for the last 7 years (I know, I know...get with the times, right?), so I'm trying to get up to speed with what new features there are. Again, after working with 2015 for a few days, it seems as though the program has so many "upgrades" that it is getting bogged down, and I am not able to draft as quickly. What settings can I change so that the program can keep up with my fingers? I have already turned off the hatch preview and command preview, and that has helped greatly, but I'm sure that there are more things I can turn off.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
nrz13
in reply to: vbsbchic

I'm not experiencing any crashes, but the system performance has definitely suffered with the graphics changes they made in 2015.  Supposedly, AMD will have updated drivers supporting AutoCAD 2015 by the end of this month.  I expect NVIDIA is in a similar situation of doing quality assurance on updated drivers for AutoCAD 2015 as well.

This was posted a few years back -- I imagine they still apply for 2015:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Looking-to-speed-up-AutoCAD-2013-Try-this/td-p/...

Search these forums and Google and you'll find all sorts of ways to speed things up.  However, if your computer is 7+ years old as well, it may be time to spring for some new hardware.  Meeting AutoCAD's minimum or recommended system specs won't make things snappy for you.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 12
vbsbchic
in reply to: nrz13

Thank you for the link for the commands. I haven't tried all of them yet, but the few that I have tried have greatly increased the performance speed (such as turning off the autocorrect and autocomplete).

I decided to reinstall the program, and the number of times that it crashes daily has greatly decreased, however, it still crashes at least 2x each day. Still not great, but better. I hope Autdesk gets that fixed.

My computer is about 2 years old, but our IT guy did a bunch of upgrades less than a year ago, so the computer is pretty speedy. We were just running an older version of AutoCAD...and had to wait until the powers-that-be were strong-armed into upgrading to the newest version. 🙂

Message 4 of 12
nrz13

You're welcome, but crashing 2x a day is still too often.  What are your system specs exactly?  Are you working on very large, complex, or 3D drawings?

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 12
pendean

There are many posts over the years with your type of symptom: consider running a search in these forums and reading some of the many solutions and see if any of them match your situation.

I used the search term and found many answers here, no one magic bullet through:
autocad crashing when closing
Message 6 of 12
allanr

download and run procmon, set appropriate filters for AutoCAD and let it rip, you will get a better idea of just what operation is skunking up the works.
Message 7 of 12
vbsbchic
in reply to: nrz13

I'm running Windows 7 on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500k CPU @3.30GHz processor, 8GB ram, 64-bit OS.

Message 8 of 12
allanr

I would recommend adding a SSD to load your project files onto. It helps but not as much as running both cad and windows from separate SSDs. download cacheset and play around with the default buffer file size for windows file operations punch up cachemaxfiles and cachemaxfilesize in acad and play with those values. you can always write down the defaults if you are nervous about making changes.
Message 9 of 12
allanr
in reply to: allanr

one more option is to download ramdisk and partition a part of your memory into a windows drive ( not sure about the wisdom of this on a machine with only 8GB though) you can setup your acad temp folder in there (cad writes ALOT of stuff to this) more daring users have setup windows to boot from memory which brings the most dramatic performance increases in cad but you should see a big jump just doing the above. with only 8Gb I would try creating a small 250mb partition just to test with. If you see your problems clear up then you have ammunition for an upgrade.
Message 10 of 12
allanr
in reply to: allanr

oh one more thing(lol) this is more to address your performance issues, the crashing part might take a hotfix just like it did with 2014.
Message 11 of 12
bcampbell11

we are experiencing a lot of crashes in our office as well.  Our Autocad 2015 crashses usually in the middle of a command like open, paste, etc......   We do nothing but simple 2d drafting with our Autocad and have systems that easily handle all of our Revit projects. I am thinking we need to go to 2014 until the first service pack is released, which is probably what we should be doing anyway. 

Message 12 of 12
anthonyc
in reply to: bcampbell11

I’m having the same problem, we have updated our entire office to 2015 & It crashes on me at least twice a day & we’ve had a lot of performance issues, Id stick to 2014 till a fix comes out. Very Disappointing, paying for a subscription only to get an inferior product.

Running i5 , windows 7 , with 12gb ram , upgrade from 8gb to see if it would help with performace which it has but not it crashing.

Had no issues with 2014 .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost