Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

92 REPLIES 92
SOLVED
Message 1 of 93
borimol
207488 Views, 92 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

I have installed the new AutoCAD 2015, and although in previous versions we can use classic workspace, in 2015 edition, I can't find this option. Am I missing something?

Image comparing 2014 and 2015: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag155/borimol/autocad_zps7e861118.jpg
92 REPLIES 92
Message 2 of 93
nrz13
in reply to: borimol

I am still able to use the classic interface in 2015.  I'm running the English version.

Have you gone into the CUI to see if toolbars are showing up there?

The keyboard prompt to bring up classic toolbars is -TOOLBAR (with the hyphen), then type STANDARD and hit ENTER to turn on.  From there, you can right-click on the toolbar that should have appeared and check other toolbars that you want.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 93
pendean

No Classic workspace in 2015: perhaps migration from an earlier version brings it along/back.
Message 4 of 93
nrz13
in reply to: pendean

I think I'm misunderstanding.  I consider the Classic workspace to be the toolbar interface.  Are you referring only to the built-in option in the Workspaces pull-down that is basically a shortcut for setting up all the classic toolbars?

This is a clean install.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 93
pendean

Yes, predefined Pulldown like in the picture the OP shared, but not the parts as you posted in detail.
Message 6 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

A mi me pasa lo mismo, parece que 2015 no tiene el interfaz clásico. No queda otra que seguir con lo que tenemos.

Message 7 of 93
edmcclave

From the Ribbon - Manage Tab:  Click <Import>

When the CUI editor opens, Click the Transfer Tab

The current configuraton file will be in the right pane

In the left pane, load the configuration (cuix) file for AutoCAD 2014 or an earlier version

Under Workspace list in the left pane, highlight and copy "AutoCAD Classic"

Highlight the Workspace list in the right pane and Paste the Classic Workspace into that list

Click <Apply>, then <OK> to close the configuration editor

At the command prompt, type WORKSPACE, then C for <setCurrent>

Type "AutoCAD Classic"  <Enter>

You will have your classic workspace with the traditional menu bar back

The AutoCAD Classic workspace will from now always be available in the workspace list

You can type WORKSPACE, then "?" to see the list of available workspaces 

Message 8 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: edmcclave

Thank you friend. I did not understand the first part and I want to ask you if: can you order me a screen apprehension to see as it is? Forgive me for the inconvenience, but I am not very good as for configuration. I already tried to do it but I make a mistake and do not manage to do anything. Thanks.
Message 9 of 93

That worked - thank you!
Message 10 of 93
Anonymous

question? how do I load the configuration (cuix) file from AutoCad 2014

Message 11 of 93
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi - I managed to do this yesterday;

first find your cuix file. mine was in:
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT 2014\R20\enu\Support

then follow edmcclave's instructions above.
Message 12 of 93
GrantsPirate

Very easy to build your own.

menubar = 1
Tools > toolbars > acad > layers
Tools > toolbars > acad > properties
Tools > toolbars > acad > standard
Tools > toolbars > acad > styles
Tools > toolbars > acad > workspaces
ribbonclose
arrange toolbars
workspace, saveas, classic

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 13 of 93
DBVieira

I dont even understand why the workaroud....If its possible, and exists a workaround, why not the button as it was?
Message 14 of 93
pendean

Autodesk wants you to move to the Ribbon: but if you want it bad enough they left it there for you to recreate.
Message 15 of 93
Bob_Zurunkle

I like my pulldowns but I wouldn't recommend closing the ribbon....

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 16 of 93
edmcclave
in reply to: reply

Yes, that's the location of the configuration files.

If you install AutoCAD with the option to Migrate Previous Settings, then (at least in my case) links to the configuration files for the previous versions will be displayed in the left pane of the CUI editor when you open it, so you you can just pick one of them; you don't have to go searching through all of the AppData folders to find them.

Migrating Previous Settings on installation, however, does not (as we have seen) automatically migrate Workspaces, nor Tablet menus and Button assignments, nor your personal LISP routines.   Customizations you may have made to the pull-down menu structure, for example to invoke LISP routines, will come over when you migrate your previous AutoCAD Classic workspace.

Message 17 of 93
edmcclave

Ribbon vs. Classic pull-down menus:

The Ribbon may in fact be somewhat more efficient for somebody who is not already very proficient with the old Classic pull-down menus, although the Ribbon takes up valuable screen space. 

However, using a digitizing tablet with tablet menus and a sixteen-button cursor is, in turn, far more efficient than using the Ribbon.  Unfortunately, they have made it difficult (but not impossible) to continue using the Tablet menus.  The Tablet menus and button assignments (hardly anybody uses the defaults - just about everybody who uses them at all has customized them) must be migrated manually from a previous version, every year when the new release comes out, in the same manner as manually migrating the Classic Workspace.

With a tablet, all of the most-used commands are executed with a single click.  And many osnaps, pan, zooms, and toggles (like ortho) can be executed with a single click of a cursor button without even having to move the cursor out of the area where you're working on the screen.  

Message 18 of 93
GrantsPirate

I would argue that the tablet is not as efficient as working with the GUI.  I worked for years with a tablet and liked it very much but I think a customized Ribbon / toolbar / keyboard environment is better. Keeping your eyes on the screen rather than screen > tablet > screen is much better for me.  The Ribbon can be displayed in 4 different sizes so the argument about realestate is not valid.  The Ribbon has contextual content that makes the Ribbon a better interface than any other, and they add more contextual content all the time.

Most people that don't like the Ribbon have not customized it and just see the standard tools, etc, and think it is a waste.  And OOTB it is a waste, but customized it is very efficient.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 19 of 93
dgorsman
in reply to: GrantsPirate

There's also a range of gaming devices which do more and occupy far less space than a tablet.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 20 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

amig@... lo que tienes que hacer es instalar la version 2015, teniendo instalado una version anterior para que asi pueda exportar el workspace (autocad classic)   Saludos.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost