Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 won't HATCH

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gareth.myers.manchester
9259 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 won't HATCH

Hi,

I'm trying to use the hatch command to hatch an area. I've followed various tutorials, but when I use the hatch command nothing happens - the area is not hatched. For example, when trying to hatch the crescent area in the image below, I have selected a hatch pattern, clicked "Pick Points"and selected a point within the crescent, selecting it. After then hitting <Enter>, nothing happens; AutoCAD asks me to select the next point to hatch, but the original crescent is not hatched at all.

cad1.png

I've tried altering the transparency, altering the pattern scale, and using different patterns - including solid fill. If it helps, I'm using the AutoCAD 2014 Student Version.

Thanks so much for any help, I appreciate it.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

My first guess would be that the scale chosen for the hatch will not allow it to be shown (either too dense or too sparse).

I don't know if the distance across your crescent shape is 1mm or 1km.
It will make a difference, along with whether or not the hatch is annotative (that setting is not enabled according to your screenshot).

Also, I can't see your command line history, it's quite possible that AutoCAD has given you a message telling you why it can't fill the area, but unless it opened the text window (or you did), it's likely you missed it.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8

Select the object instead of "points" and see if that helps: looks like more than your crescent shape is being considered for hatching.
Message 4 of 8

I think it was a bug in AutoCAD - after cycling the power of my desktop a few times it has fixed itself, and the hatching now works fine with the settings I showed in my picture above. Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry I ended up wasting your time! Smiley Frustrated

So to anyone else having this problem: turn it off and on again a few times, seems to work.

Message 5 of 8

Had this problem recently. Finally figured out that when I generated a new hatch if was being generated to a layer that was set as invsible (not sure why it randomly chose this layer). To rectify, go into properties in the hatch drop down menu and select the layer that you want to generate the hatch on.

Message 6 of 8
pendean
in reply to: eliot.wilde

Good tip. HATCH command (and the Ribbon) allow you to select a specific layer (and color etc.) that is unrelated to your current active layers and settings: it's a feature that is easily turned on/set and forgotten.
Message 7 of 8

I noticed sometimes hatch didn't work unless I double clicked to place it quickly.
Message 8 of 8

Are your lines closed that you're trying to fill into? A sample of it not being closed:

wisp_cl82y.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost