Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 hangs every 60 second when using Sheet Sets

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mrplumislander
1394 Views, 19 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 hangs every 60 second when using Sheet Sets

• Trial Version, though I don't see why this would matter.
  • Open a new file and things work fine.
  • Open a sheet set in Sheet Set Manager and every 60 seconds for 25 seconds AutoCAD hangs.
  • Unplug the network connection and it runs fine.
  • Hangs even if Sheet Set is on Local Drive
  • Time of hang is dependent on when AutoCAD starts not dependent on when Sheet Set is opened.
  • Do not have to have a file in the sheet manager loaded.
  • Don't have to be doing anything.  Can leave cursor on screen and still happens like clockwork.
  • Turned off all sync to AutoDesk 360.

Anyone ever run into this issue?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
rkmcswain
in reply to: mrplumislander

Have not seen that myself, I would recommend using this process to try and find the culprit.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 20
scooper
in reply to: rkmcswain

Actually we are having the same issue but to a greater degree.

We just upgraded to 2014 (acad and C3D) from 2011. All of the old sheet sets will not allow us to change settings in them such as page setup overrides, we can not add or move sheets around. We thought that it was the SMB2 server setting but we switched it back to SMB1 and are still having issues.

Any ideas on this or will 2014 not use older sheet sets?

Message 4 of 20
trlukas

I have bee n experiencing a very similar issue with Lt 2015. When I highlight a dwg in the sheet set and right click my mouse to plot or adjust settings the program hangs. This happens on my desk top but not my lap top.

Any thoughts
Message 5 of 20
scooper

Sorry i forgot to update when i found out what the issue was.

It all comes down to a simple server setting.

You have to turn off SMB v2 on the surver and make sure its off on all of the users as well.

The problem comes down to autocad versions older than 2014 not working with SMB v2 and when you try to open up an older sheet set it will cause this issue. I was bad enough for us that it actually brought down our servers a couple of times.

Once all of the old sheet sets are no longer being used and everything is in 2014 or newer you should not have a problem setting the servers and users back to SMB v2 but until then they need to be set to SMB v1.

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 20
trlukas

I haven't tried to use this fix you suggested just yet.  I am having my IT guy look into this for me as I would rather not change these settings on my computer without expert help.  

However, the issue I find strange is that I have the same version of AutoCAD LT 2015 on my laptop, and there are no issues with trying to add sheets or change names. Why would the same version of AutoCAD have issues on my desktop?

Message 7 of 20
scooper

That could completely depend on your OS.

As for the setting it would have to be changed on the server as well as each user machine.

Message 8 of 20
trlukas
in reply to: scooper

The operating system on my latop is Windows 7 Professional, Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 with a 64 bit operating system, the desktop is Windows 7 Professional, Intel Zeon CPU ww3550.  

Message 9 of 20
scooper

Then it may already be disabled on your laptop and not your desktop and that is why your are getting issues.

This was atleast what we found out after extensive testing and searching.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

I forgot to add that it also depends on your server OS as well. XP is not affected by it because it does not support SMB v2.

We upgraded our server from a 2000 server OS and it caused all of these issues. We did that to utilize SMB v2 because it speeds up the traffic transfer but in this case it caused so many issues with Sheet Set so we had to disable it.

Message 10 of 20
rkmcswain

scooper wrote:

We did that to utilize SMB v2 because it speeds up the traffic transfer but in this case it caused so many issues with Sheet Set so we had to disable it.

Have you reported this to Autodesk? Doesn't make a lot of sense that one of their best tools can't be used unless you turn off other useful O/S level functionality....

That needs fixed.

Message 11 of 20
scooper

Sadly Autodesk has known about this since 2012 when they had to issue a hotfix for SMB v2 in order for the program to work properly with it. Then again in 2013 because they apparently missed programming it in. But yes they are quite aware of it. 🙂

This unfortunatly falls under the "Add something new, break stuff thats worked for years" category in my opinion...

Message 12 of 20
rkmcswain

scooper wrote:

Sadly Autodesk has known about this since 2012 when they had to issue a hotfix for SMB v2 in order for the program to work properly with it. Then again in 2013 because they apparently missed programming it in.

So are you saying that we are due a hotfix/SP for 2014 (and maybe even 2015) due to the fact that this fix is not making it into the core build?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 20
scooper

Let me clarify.

2014 is enabled to work with SMB v2 as well as the newer versions. They got it fixed for 2014.

The problem comes into play when you are using a Sheet set that was created in a version BEFORE 2014.
In my case we upgraded from 2011 to 2014, and in the process all older versions of Sheet Sets do not work with SMB v2.

Why it is that way i have no clue because it should not have been but throught the extensive research and testing thats what we found out the issue is.

Set the server and all users to use SMB v1 instead of 2 and all sheet sets work as they should.

Message 14 of 20
trlukas

why does the microsoft website state that you shouldn't disable the SMB.  Read below:

This article describes how to enable and disable Server Message Block (SMB) version 1 (SMBv1), SMB version 2 (SMBv2), and SMB version 3 (SMBv3) on the SMB client and server components. 

Warning: We do not recommend that you disable SMBv2 or SMBv3. Disable SMBv2 or SMBv3 only as a temporarytroubleshooting measure. Do not leave SMBv2 or SMBv3 disabled.

In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, disabling SMBv2 deactivates the following functionality:

• Request compounding - allows for sending multiple SMB 2 requests as a single network request
  • Larger reads and writes - better use of faster networks
  • Caching of folder and file properties - clients keep local copies of folders and files
  • Durable handles - allow for connection to transparently reconnect to the server if there is a temporary disconnection
  • Improved message signing - HMAC SHA-256 replaces MD5 as hashing algorithm
  • Improved scalability for file sharing - number of users, shares, and open files per server greatly increased
  • Support for symbolic links
  • Client oplock leasing model - limits the data transferred between the client and server, improving performance on high-latency networks and increasing SMB server scalability
  • Large MTU support - for full use of 10-gigabye (GB) Ethernet
  • Improved energy efficiency - clients that have open files to a server can sleep
Message 15 of 20
scooper

Probaby for the sole purpose of CYA. We however have had it disabled for quite awhile without issue.

We are not the only ones i have seen do it as well without issue.

Message 16 of 20
trlukas

Hi Scooper, pardon me, but what is a CYA?  I am a very good Interior Designer, but terrible at computer speak.  🙂

Message 17 of 20
scooper

Cover Your A.. um Butt 🙂

Message 18 of 20
trlukas

Thanks for the laugh. It has been a horrible day with this software issue as I rely on my sheet sets to organize my drawing files. My projects are large and I couldn't do what I do without them. The support from the company has been rather poor but the online support from you has been great! 🙂
Message 19 of 20
rkmcswain

scooper wrote:

Let me clarify.

Thanks for the clarification.Smiley Wink

We have some 2014 users with pre-2014 sheet sets.

Off to investigate.

Message 20 of 20
scooper

I'm glad it made your day go better Smiley Happy

I fully understand working with the program can be a pain sometimes and I'm glad i can help. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost