Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 Workspaces do not hold their settings

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RChalmers2
10037 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 Workspaces do not hold their settings

When I alter a Workspace it doesn't hold it's settings as I switch back and forth between them.  I altered the Drafting & Annotation Workspace to suit my needs.  If I change to 3D Basics or 3D Modeling workspace then switch back to Drafting & Annotation then the changes I made to Drafting & Annotation are gone.  I tried to work around that by making a custom workspace.  When I change out of the custom workspace into another workspace then go back into the custom workspace then it keeps my settings except for one thing: it always turns on the Model and Layout Tabs which I specifically turned off in the custom workspace.

Another thing I can't figure out is how to turn on a Toolbar in the 3D Basics or 3D Modeling workspaces.

I'm just recently upgrades to AutoCAD 2014 from AutoCAD 2006 and am not liking the whole workspace idea.  It's too much switching around and it seems to be less efficient than what I was using in 2006.  Suggestions are welcome, especially if they involve retiring and never using AutoCAD again!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: RChalmers2

Are you actively saving the workspace after making changes to it, or hoping AutoCAD will do it for you?

WSSAVE command has never ever failed me since R2006 through R2014. Relying on AutoCAD to always work perfectly is sometimes not the best strategy 😞
Message 3 of 8
nestly2

Workspaces can be saved two ways.... automatically or manually.  Both have their advantages and their disadvantages.  Personally I prefer manual, but as you've discovered, you have to remember to save after modifying or your changes will be lost.

WSSettings.gif

To turn on/off toolbars from the Ribbon in 2014, click on the "View" ribbon tab, then pick "Toolbars" in the "User Interface" tab.

Regarding Workspaces; I think if you give yourself some time to get used to them, you may find them an improvement, however if you simply want a single user interface, create a new workspace based on the AutoCAD "Classic" interface and turn on all the same toolbars you used in 2006.  One workspace for everything... problem solved.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

It's 4:00 in the afternoon.  Do you know where your workspaces are?  No, really - are you working from a workspace in the Main or Enterprise?  If the latter, then changes cannot be saved.  If the former, you may not be loading that Main with the profile you are choosing (profile selects Main and Enterprise; Main and Enterprise determine which workspaces are available).

I rather like workspaces from a management perspective.  By saving them in the Enterprise CUIx, my users have a common starting point to work from.  When they save (everybody has their own Main), its saved to a network location that is covered by nightly backups.  If a user has a computer failure, they don't lose their UI settings.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
RChalmers2
in reply to: nestly2

Ahh...perfect!  Thank you for that perfectly clear explanation and the video.  Now I'm enlightened.

Message 6 of 8
smbrennan
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

I rather like workspaces from a management perspective.  By saving them in the Enterprise CUIx, my users have a common starting point to work from.  When they save (everybody has their own Main), its saved to a network location that is covered by nightly backups.  If a user has a computer failure, they don't lose their UI settings.

Do you have any resource for setting this up? I would like to experiment with such a setup for the 2015 release when we receive it. A lot of users at my company have their own custom workspaces, and I've found that migrating doesn't always work - in fact it tends to "break" more than it helps.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: smbrennan

We don't migrate workspaces between versions.  There's too many new elements, discontinued elements, different partial CUIx files, etc. to reliably carry over.  When a new AutoCAD version is rolled out the new Enterprise is built with the set of common workspaces they can start from.  There's some grumbling of course, but its not something we do every year and I try to keep the Enterprise workspaces close to what the majority is using.

As for set-up, thats the easy part - just locate the Main CUIx on a network drive folder with full access for indiviudal user.  We have common path names here so there's no user name/ID to parse out into the path or filename.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
Drafter1981
in reply to: dgorsman

To All

Looking to see if the solution posted will help me with our situation also:

Custom CUI or Workspace Settings

As usual, any information or help would be appriciated. Thanks again.

Regards,

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost