AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
RChalmers2
Message 1 of 6 (2,272 Views)
Accepted Solution

AutoCAD 2014 Workspaces do not hold their settings

2272 Views, 5 Replies
12-19-2013 01:42 PM

When I alter a Workspace it doesn't hold it's settings as I switch back and forth between them.  I altered the Drafting & Annotation Workspace to suit my needs.  If I change to 3D Basics or 3D Modeling workspace then switch back to Drafting & Annotation then the changes I made to Drafting & Annotation are gone.  I tried to work around that by making a custom workspace.  When I change out of the custom workspace into another workspace then go back into the custom workspace then it keeps my settings except for one thing: it always turns on the Model and Layout Tabs which I specifically turned off in the custom workspace.

Another thing I can't figure out is how to turn on a Toolbar in the 3D Basics or 3D Modeling workspaces.

I'm just recently upgrades to AutoCAD 2014 from AutoCAD 2006 and am not liking the whole workspace idea.  It's too much switching around and it seems to be less efficient than what I was using in 2006.  Suggestions are welcome, especially if they involve retiring and never using AutoCAD again!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (2,258 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2014 Workspaces do not hold their settings

12-19-2013 02:04 PM in reply to: RChalmers2
Are you actively saving the workspace after making changes to it, or hoping AutoCAD will do it for you?

WSSAVE command has never ever failed me since R2006 through R2014. Relying on AutoCAD to always work perfectly is sometimes not the best strategy :smileysad:
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 3 of 6 (2,248 Views)

12-19-2013 02:54 PM in reply to: RChalmers2

Workspaces can be saved two ways.... automatically or manually.  Both have their advantages and their disadvantages.  Personally I prefer manual, but as you've discovered, you have to remember to save after modifying or your changes will be lost.

WSSettings.gif

To turn on/off toolbars from the Ribbon in 2014, click on the "View" ribbon tab, then pick "Toolbars" in the "User Interface" tab.

Regarding Workspaces; I think if you give yourself some time to get used to them, you may find them an improvement, however if you simply want a single user interface, create a new workspace based on the AutoCAD "Classic" interface and turn on all the same toolbars you used in 2006.  One workspace for everything... problem solved.  :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 4 of 6 (2,244 Views)

12-19-2013 03:04 PM in reply to: RChalmers2

It's 4:00 in the afternoon.  Do you know where your workspaces are?  No, really - are you working from a workspace in the Main or Enterprise?  If the latter, then changes cannot be saved.  If the former, you may not be loading that Main with the profile you are choosing (profile selects Main and Enterprise; Main and Enterprise determine which workspaces are available).

I rather like workspaces from a management perspective.  By saving them in the Enterprise CUIx, my users have a common starting point to work from.  When they save (everybody has their own Main), its saved to a network location that is covered by nightly backups.  If a user has a computer failure, they don't lose their UI settings.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Distinguished Contributor
RChalmers2
Message 5 of 6 (2,209 Views)

12-20-2013 05:25 AM in reply to: nestly2

Ahh...perfect!  Thank you for that perfectly clear explanation and the video.  Now I'm enlightened.

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 6 of 6 (1,721 Views)

03-14-2014 05:27 PM in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman wrote:

I rather like workspaces from a management perspective.  By saving them in the Enterprise CUIx, my users have a common starting point to work from.  When they save (everybody has their own Main), its saved to a network location that is covered by nightly backups.  If a user has a computer failure, they don't lose their UI settings.

Do you have any resource for setting this up? I would like to experiment with such a setup for the 2015 release when we receive it. A lot of users at my company have their own custom workspaces, and I've found that migrating doesn't always work - in fact it tends to "break" more than it helps.

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube