Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 SP1 breaks PC3 "Graphics > Merge Control > Lines Merge" option

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
russb_cpl
780 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 SP1 breaks PC3 "Graphics > Merge Control > Lines Merge" option

After installing AutoCAD 2014 SP1 we've been having issues with screened/shaded solid fills overwriting lines below when generating PDF's using the Autodesk PDFPLOT11.hdi driver with "Merge Control" set to "Lines Merge".  The DWF drivers work fine.  Uninstalling SP1 resolves the issue.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: russb_cpl

The “Merge Lines” feature uses a "darken" blend mode. When comparing the RGB codes of the two colors to be merged, it plots the darkest value in each RGB channel, on a scale of 0 (darkest) to 255 (lightest). For example, a red line drawn over a blue line:

RED 255 0 0
BLUE 0 0 255
MERGE 0 0 0

The resultant color anywhere the two elements overlap will be black (0, 0, 0), and the colors appear not to merge.

COLOR 11 255 127 127
COLOR 142 0 124 165
MERGE 0 124 127

So, depending on the combination, sometimes the blend does not look like it merged the colors properly, although by the “darken” rule used to determine the merged color, it has.

The following workarounds can resolve this issue:

1. Adjust the colors of the elements to be merged, so that the resultant merged color appears to be a blend of the two.

2. Plot the file to DWF first, and then print using Design Review.

Shawn Niles
Message 3 of 5
russb_cpl
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

I understand the concept... it has been working for us in prior versions of AutoCAD... including AutoCAD 2014.

My question is: Did Autodesk change how this works in AutoCAD2014 SP1? If not, then you have a bug in AutoCAD SP1 because it doesn't work the same as before.

Russ Brooks
COUGHLINPORTERLUNDEEN
STRUCTURAL CIVIL SEISMIC ENGINEERING
413 Pine Street | Suite 300 | Seattle WA 98101
P: 206.343.0460 | F: 206.343.5691 www.cplinc.com
Message 4 of 5
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: russb_cpl

The changes in behavior have been reported to our development team, and they are currently investigasting to see if any changes are needed. If so, these will likley be posted on our website.

Shawn Niles
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

I installed Autocad 2014 sp1 recently and today I experienced the problem myself.  Is there already news on this issue? 

For our company it is a very very important function.  As we always work with grey solids we basically can't create any pdf without it.  I am kind of surpised that Autocad uploads a service pack that breaks such an function.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost