Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 Not enough Free RAM message

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
hperison
5862 Views, 20 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 Not enough Free RAM message

We are in thre process of upgrading from AutoCAD 2010 to AutoCAD 2014 and have been experiencing issues with the HIDE command not working correctly, however once installing the latest Service pack, most issues have gone away. 

However, one is still present which I would love it if anyone can shed some light on this.  When the HIDE function is issued at the AutoCad command prompt, I ampresented with the following message:

Free RAM.png

Currently, I am using Windows 7 64bit with 31.9 GB of usable Ram.  So I am slightly confused here.

Does anyone know what this means as I have not found anything on this subject?   Memory Leak?  Hardware? Graphics Card RAM?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hperison

Assuming that 31.9Gigs of RAM means you have a pretty aggressive machine I will further assume that your Graphics card is NOT integrated into the mother board but is a stand alone card.

If so what is the amount of RAM on the card?

Message 3 of 21
pendean

.... and how complex is the drawing you are trying to run the 'hide' command in?
Message 4 of 21
hperison
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks for the Reply Charles,

Yes, I think it is quite an aggressive machine and has done well for me, but the Free RAM message is rather disconcerting.  I am probably not the only one that has experienced this issue although the only one attempting to discuss it.  Anyways, upon reviewing my graphics card information I find the following:

Adapter Type:                                   Intel HD Graphics 4000

Total Available Graphics Memory:  1696 MB

Dedicated Video Memory:               64 MB

System Video Memory:                    64 MB

Shared System Memory:                  1632 MB

So it appears to be large enough as the AutoCAD specs state that we need 128 MB min. 

This is the same requirement needed for AutoCAD 2010 which I do not have any issue.

Dean,  I experience this message whether I have 0,1,2 or 100000 items on the screen.  There is no discrimination to the amount.

FYI to all, I am doing 3D Process Plant design and it appears that AutoCAD 2010 is still better and faster for this.  But alas, 2010 is not going to be supported by Autodesk for us by the middle of next year and we are literally being forced to upgrade to IMHO ( a lesser product ).

Message 5 of 21
pendean

This is a laptop? Intel HD4000 is a very low end Vid Card stealing from RAM but only having 64MB for itself (a thumb-drive's worth only).

Plain 2014 here, 16Gig RAM, Win7 64bit, ATI generic graphics card on a desktop PC and I have no such memory issues running HIDE on not-so-complex 3D drawings here.

BTW, resist comparing 2010 to 2014, it's pointless and uninformed: 2014 is bigger, more demanding, more complex. Better or not is in the eye of the end user who suffers or not, there you can comment 🙂

Message 6 of 21
hperison
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the info Dean.

This specific machine is a desktop unit and I will forward this information to our IT department for review.

Message 7 of 21
Charles_Shade

That does sound like an on-board graphics card as opposed to a dedicated card.

That could very well be that there is not enough memory for the Graphics to update as needed.

Message 8 of 21
hperison
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

Yes, I realize that 2014 is bigger, more demanding, and more complex and in the overall possibly better.

However, the comparison is between what I (not anyone else) does with it is the comparison.  Yes it may very

well be a far superior product for someone else that requires a Farari.  However, for me, using a Farari to pull

a trailer will work, but I would rather have a monster truck to do the same job.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 21
nestly2

Ferrari vs monster truck isn't a fair comparison... more like the difference between two cars of the same model, released 4 years apart.  The new car will certainly be "different", but whether it's "better" is subjective.

Message 10 of 21
pendean

Reread the last sentence of my last reply, commenting on personal experiences is absolutely acceptable (and I would say required).
2014 is several iterations beyond 2010 in coding and bulk: still a monster truck, just bigger, heavier, does more (and less) from your old truck. So your curent car-spin is also invalid.
Message 11 of 21
hperison

Anyways, instead of getting off topic here with everyones rants. 

I will post my findings when I have IT investigate the graphics card issue.

Message 12 of 21
hperison

Just had a new graphics card installed with 1 GB of RAM and the message is still present.

This now rules out the Graphics Card issue.

Message 13 of 21
dgorsman

Stupid question time: is hardware acceleration on?  Even if you have a dedicated graphics card, unless the hardware acceleration is turned ON in AutoCAD the on-chip graphics will still be used.  Even then nVidia Optimus "intelligent" switching software may be getting in the way.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 14 of 21
hperison
in reply to: dgorsman

No worries, I'm happy for the input.

Yes, the hardware acceleration is ON.  I have also double-checked the Performance Tuner Log report and all appears to be OK.

I am just waiting for what Autodesk can tell us.

Message 15 of 21
braudpat

Hello from France

Sorry but I don't understand (and even imagine) your problem !

I have an HP Z1 Workstation , Win Seven Pro 64 , 32 Gb Ram , NVidia Quadro 1000 with 2 Gb Ram dedicated

with ACAD MAP 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, etc 

I never get any "out of Ram" msg from ACAD 201X 64 bits even with VERY LARGE drawings even with many + HUGE ECWs ...

There is almost NO LIMIT to the Ram that a 64 bits Windows Process/program can allocate

of course if you have enough memory on your 64 bits PC !

With an other 64 bits PC (Win Seven Pro 64) with only 8 Gb Ram, I already get ONCE this kind of msg with very large DWGs + big ECWs + etc ... 

But I have FIXED the Windows Swap file to 32 Gb : Minimum SIZE = Maximum Size = 32 Gb !

So the ACAD 201X 64 bits process can use up to about 7 Gb of Ram ... Maybe more, I don't know ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
dgorsman

You're going to be waiting for a while.  If you have subscription, file a support request.  But even that may not be of much help.  Your specific problem is usually only solved by someone physically sitting at the computer in question (although remoting in may be an option) and going through the usual diagnostic procedures so they have direct, unfiltered control of what is being done and what the results are.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 17 of 21
braudpat

Hello

Please try to DISABLE any specific graphics features/gadgets of Win 7 : Aero, etc ...

And Retry ...

Please try to switch your graphic card to 15/16 bits Color Mode (32000/65000 colors)

INSTEAD of the standard Mode (24/32 bits - 16 Millions Colors)

And Retry ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
Nazrkali

I too ran into this error message using a very robust 16GB Boxx system and Nvidia K2000 graphics card.  Win 7 Pro 64bit; Autocad 2014.

I did find a work around listed for this program error:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Not-eno...

JDH

JDH
Brainplay
Message 19 of 21
timskene

I am getting this message in Autocad 2015. I did not use 2014, but came from 2013.  I have Win 7, 8 GB ram, graphics card is Quadro 4000 which has 2GB ram. 2013 and previous versions never gave this message. Changing hideprecision and graphics settings makes no difference. Using hide command on the same drawing and view in 2013 works fine.

Seems to be a bug, as it says it on even the simplest drawing.

Message 20 of 21
hperison
in reply to: timskene

For my AutoCAD 2014, the message only seems to appear when ones Visual Style is set to 2D Wireframe . Once
switching to 3D Wireframe, it goes away. I have not experienced any issues while using 2D Wireframe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost