Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 - Dimension Style Issue

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
665 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 - Dimension Style Issue

I'm trying to create a dimension style that will suppress both dim lines, suppress ext. line 1, and locate the dim text at the end of the ext. line 2.  When I suppress both the dim lines, it appears that one or the other is not suppressing or something else is going on.  See attached pdf on what I'm trying to achieve and what is actually happening?  Using AutoCAD 2014. 

Any help would be great.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post a DWG file sample with your defined DIMSTYLE in it showing the issue kin the PDF?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Here is the dwg file that shows what I'm seeing when I try to suppress the dim lines.

Message 4 of 14
pendean

DIMSTYLE command, select your style, Modify button then the TEXT tab: probably AT EXT LINE 2 instead of OVER EXT LINE 2. That line goes away in my test.
There doesn't seem to be another option that I can tell.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I did that and now my text goes all the way to the left and isn't in line with the extension line 2.  Is there a way to change that so the dimensioning looks like the pdf  on page 2 I sent in my original post.

Message 6 of 14
pendean

I have not found a way yet.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for checking into this.  If you find something out, please let me know.  Or if you know of a different dim style that does this correctly, I'd be interested in knowing the settings.  I'm doing some detailed parts and haven't done these for years because I've been working plant/facilities dwgs, and only know of the old, standard textbook dimensioning from awhile back.  The company I'm doing this for, would like it dimensioned similar to the pdf I sent.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
dmfrazier

It looks to me like you are attempting to produce an "ordinate" (or "datum") dimension.  (DIMORDINATE command.)

See the attached DWG.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

I copied the file you posted to my desktop and it does not open in AutoCAD...it opens in explorer but does not show anything on the file.  Is this truly an AutoCAD dwg, and if so it is not recognized as one?  Can you repost the edited file or do you have any ideas why I'm not seeing anything when I open the file by double-clicking it?  Thanks.

Message 10 of 14
dmfrazier

I just downloaded the file I had attached to my previous post and had no trouble opening it.  It is indeed an AutoCAD DWG file.

I can only guess that something is going wrong when you attempt to download the file.  Using Internet Explorer 11, I simply click the file link in the message and select 'Save".  It automatically saves to my "Downloads" folder.  When it's downloaded, I select "Open folder", and then double-click the file to open it in AutoCAD.

I have attached another copy of the DWG enclosed in a ZIP file, in case that might work better.  If the ZIP downloads successfully for you, I recommend extracting the DWG from it to a folder of your choice and then opening it in AutoCAD from there.

If you still have issues with the attached file, then simply follow this procedure to duplicate what I did:

1. Open the copy of DIM STYLE ISSUE.dwg you originally posted

2. Copy the part somewhere to the right of the original

3. Run the DIMORDINATE command

4. Follow the prompts:
          Specify feature location: <pick right corner of the horizontal leg>
          Specify leader endpoint or [Xdatum/Ydatum/Mtext/Text/Angle]:  <Ortho on> <pick a point below the object>
          Dimension text = 3.250

<Enter to repeat>

(The command figures out for you whether to produce an X- or Y-ordinate dim based on the relationship between the basepoint and the selected feature/point.)

Note that the dimordinate command uses the current origin as its basepoint (which is usually 0,0 by default).  In your case, that happens to be the correct point.  If you have objects you want to dimension that are not located this way, you can either temporarily change your origin (using the Origin option of the UCS command; see: http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/files/GUID-A2513269-161C-4193-BBC4-1D6717C41A47.htm), or you can go ahead and dimension using the current origin, and then grip-edit the dims later to move their origin point to the point that you want.

Another helpful Help link:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/files/GUID-24923907-5C17-441B-B674-AB95EED8A786.htm

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you.  This did work for me.  I was able to open the zip file and open the file this time in AutoCAD. 

Also, the information you provided me about the ordinate dimensioning will work for my project.  Thanks again, and this did resolve my issue.

Message 12 of 14
dmfrazier

You're welcome.

"...this did resolve my issue."

In that case, please click the button. (Smiley Happy)

Message 13 of 14
1Fabricator

If I want to alter a dim., I just use the 'Grips'    LL

Message 14 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: 1Fabricator

Grip-editing is certainly useful for altering dimensions in many ways, but there is no amount of grip-editing that would have resolved the OP's issue.  (If you believe there is, by all means, please demonstrate it.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost